WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    CSW Exam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CSW Exam
 Login/Join 
posted
Sitting for the exam in Houston in July.

I've got their hard-copy study guide and their online guide run by Gallo. I've also been pouring over the Wine Atlas ad nauseum (per usual) as a refresher.

Any tips/pointers I should look out for? Any areas that should get specific attention? Thanks in advance.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My exam was heavily sparkling and very little on fortified--my friend's exam, on the same day and same test site, was the exact opposite. Both of us had plenty of Q's on Germany vs Austria but very little on South America which I thought was odd as I had heard there was a lot of attention to south of the equator. As in any test, first answer the questions where you are 100% certain of a correct answer.
Good luck!

Posts: 3003 | Location: napa valley | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geesh... I guess it really is a mixed bag. The test exam I got a hold of seems to be super-heavy on California, Australia and New Zealand. But I guess I can't trust any!

Thanks for the response!

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to what prestige/authority/power this holds in comparison to other wine certifications. I've been thinking about taking some of the Master Sommelier courses or something like that.

I know Master of Wine is like becoming a Jedi.

What can you do, or what do people do with a CSW?

Posts: 1680 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the Intro Somm last year through Court of Master Sommeliers. I plan to take the 2nd exam, the Certified exam, next year when its offered in NOLA again.

CSW is a prerequesite to become a Certified Wine Educator. Often, many Master Somms will also be CWEs. There are quite a few certification organizations, but they are geared towards different fields in the wine industry. Obviously, the Society of Wine Educators that offers the CSW and the CWE is for educating others in wine. There is no service focus of the CSW exam, though they do desire you to have that knowledge. For the CSW there is also no blind tasting.

For the 2nd Somm exam, there is blind tasting and service in the exam, as it is meant to certify Sommeliers for restaurant work.

ETA-- What am I doing with these certifications? They help me prove my knowledge to employers in the wine field, and it counts as continuing education at my job so eventually a raise will ensue.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the day!!

...and it looks as if the POTUS is flying in to New Orleans tomorrow. Grreeaaat. Here's to hoping my flight isn't cancelled-- there or back. But mostly there. I can afford to miss a day of work Wink

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas