WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Standing a 94 Monte Bello?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing a 94 Monte Bello?
 Login/Join 
posted
I am relatively new to the forum and have been doing far more reading than posting, but I thought I would pose this question in the hopes of gathering a little collective wisdom. I have a 1994 Monte Bello I want to have for a particular event next month. My experience drinking older wines is limited, and I was not sure 17-18 year old wines are at a place where they require such treatment. If anyone thinks it wise to stand this bottle, please let me know and let me know for how long you recommend. Further, I would certainly appreciate any other advice aimed at getting the best showing I can from one of my favorite wines aged a little more than I have been accustomed.

Fruit on the bottom - hope on top.

Posts: 88 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: Oct 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maple Fan - If stored well, this could turn out to be a really fun bottle. Stand it up a week ahead of time and gently decant for sediment. Post notes!

PH

Posts: 15327 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stand the bottle up at least 2 or 3 days in advnace, if possible. Several weeks is also fine. I normally have between 8 and 12 bottles standing up at all times so I can select what I want depending on the meal.

The bottle will likely have some sediment in iot, so pull the cork gently and decant the clear wine off the sediment. It should be a wonderful wine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37027 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and the fast responses. I will certainly post my notes.

Posts: 88 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: Oct 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i had t his at the winery last year from half bottle and it was soo tight that I 'd say not to even try it for another 10 years.

If you do open, I'd probably open at home, decant and bring decanter to event.

My bottle definitely needed age and air.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12387 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks g-man. The event is at my house so I can give it some time, but the bottle is sentimental and earmarked for the occasion so I can only give it a few hours in the air - not ten years. Guess I’ll have to find more - what a shame.

posted Hide Post
definitely give it the hours in air

it's definitely a youngin

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12387 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MapleFan:
Thanks g-man. The event is at my house so I can give it some time, but the bottle is sentimental and earmarked for the occasion so I can only give it a few hours in the air - not ten years. Guess I’ll have to find more - what a shame.

Did you ever get around to trying? I have a couple bottles, interested to see if you think it's ready now or hold like other's were saying.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't open it. Too much input here and elsewhere to hold and we found another 94 bottle to enjoy. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

posted Hide Post
so, whadya open?>

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Two senimental bottles actually. A 94 Clerc Milon and a 1997 Montrose.

Notes:

94 Clerc Milon:
Felt like I opened it 4-5 years too late. Bricking on the edges, pencil box and cedar nose, strong tobacco and leather notes but the fruit failed to show up over five hours of decant. Traces of the flavors hinted at a decent wine in 2005. Oh well, still enjoyable.

97 Montrose:
Stood two days, decanted off the sediment for an hour. Slight bricking. The nose was powerful even before pouring from the bottle. Cedar, tobacco, and earth. Delicious and layered flavors, more cedar, earth, and some dark fruits. Nice tannin for its age and supposed drinking window. Probably has life yet. Finish was medium length. Very enjoyable wine.