WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Eeekkkk! Mold!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eeekkkk! Mold!
 Login/Join 
posted
I have a freestanding wine storage unit which holds about 90 bottles. Recently I noticed that one bottle near the bottom has speckles of mold/mildew on the label. I assume this is really bad...? I've moved that one bottle to another location. Do I need to empty the entire unit and somehow clean it (I think bleach is NOT recommended, right) Thoughts?

Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by we know pinot:
I have a freestanding wine storage unit which holds about 90 bottles. Recently I noticed that one bottle near the bottom has speckles of mold/mildew on the label. I assume this is really bad...? I've moved that one bottle to another location. Do I need to empty the entire unit and somehow clean it (I think bleach is NOT recommended, right?) Thoughts?

Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry...I just wanted to add a question mark to my post, but REPOSTED the whole thing, instead...rookie mistake!

posted Hide Post
Is your intention to drink the wines eventually or sell them?

If it's drink, the mold is not a concern. If it's sell then you do need to keep the labels nice. Rubbing alcohol will work. Swab the mold and remove the wine from the cellar for 48-72 hours.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strictly for our own consumption...with the exception of this one bottle that was affected! This one is a 1988, it's just a keepsake...will probably never be consumed! Thanks so much for the info!
WKP

posted Hide Post
Hydrogen peroxide is a better killer of mold since it is typically an aerobe

Posts: 76 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post