WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Eeekkkk! Mold!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Eeekkkk! Mold!
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
I have a freestanding wine storage unit which holds about 90 bottles. Recently I noticed that one bottle near the bottom has speckles of mold/mildew on the label. I assume this is really bad...? I've moved that one bottle to another location. Do I need to empty the entire unit and somehow clean it (I think bleach is NOT recommended, right) Thoughts?
 
Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by we know pinot:
I have a freestanding wine storage unit which holds about 90 bottles. Recently I noticed that one bottle near the bottom has speckles of mold/mildew on the label. I assume this is really bad...? I've moved that one bottle to another location. Do I need to empty the entire unit and somehow clean it (I think bleach is NOT recommended, right?) Thoughts?
 
Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry...I just wanted to add a question mark to my post, but REPOSTED the whole thing, instead...rookie mistake!
 
Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Is your intention to drink the wines eventually or sell them?

If it's drink, the mold is not a concern. If it's sell then you do need to keep the labels nice. Rubbing alcohol will work. Swab the mold and remove the wine from the cellar for 48-72 hours.


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Strictly for our own consumption...with the exception of this one bottle that was affected! This one is a 1988, it's just a keepsake...will probably never be consumed! Thanks so much for the info!
WKP
 
Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hydrogen peroxide is a better killer of mold since it is typically an aerobe
 
Posts: 76 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    Eeekkkk! Mold!

© Wine Spectator 2013