I have a freestanding wine storage unit which holds about 90 bottles. Recently I noticed that one bottle near the bottom has speckles of mold/mildew on the label. I assume this is really bad...? I've moved that one bottle to another location. Do I need to empty the entire unit and somehow clean it (I think bleach is NOT recommended, right) Thoughts?
Sorry...I just wanted to add a question mark to my post, but REPOSTED the whole thing, instead...rookie mistake!
Is your intention to drink the wines eventually or sell them?
If it's drink, the mold is not a concern. If it's sell then you do need to keep the labels nice. Rubbing alcohol will work. Swab the mold and remove the wine from the cellar for 48-72 hours.
Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Parking Attendant
Strictly for our own consumption...with the exception of this one bottle that was affected! This one is a 1988, it's just a keepsake...will probably never be consumed! Thanks so much for the info!
Hydrogen peroxide is a better killer of mold since it is typically an aerobe
|Powered by Social Strata|