WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Learn Wine    What am I tasting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What am I tasting?
 Login/Join 
posted
Been drinking mainly California Merlots for a number of years now and recently got more serious about wines.

I recently purchased a Monbousquet and Troplong Mondot, both around 8-10 yrs old from a reputable dealer that stored them correctly and then I stored them for a month in my cool. Both were decanted and I used the proper Riedel glasses.

One smell from the Monbousquet could be described as barnyard I guess. Both of them were very had a strong alcohol like smell with an unpleasant finish.

Is this just characteristic of French wines or possibbly a term called "vin de press" that I've read about the French using?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will you get more "barnyard" with Bdx than calif merlot? Yes, usually, but it often blows off with some air. More alcohol on the nose? Not if the wine is balanced. What vintages did you have? Vintage is very important with Bordeaux. One vintage of a wine might be full and lush, the next one, hard and gamy.

Instead of buying random bottles piecemeal, my humble opinion is to find a retail/private tasting in your area featuring a number of at least moderately aged Bordeaux, including some "right bank" reds that typically feature more merlot. If you still prefer California merlot, you should drink and enjoy it, and don't think of it as less "serious"---only less expensive. Wink

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8879 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you still prefer California merlot, you should drink and enjoy it, and don't think of it as less "serious"---only less expensive. Wink

Wine and wine making is always a serious thing, apart of where the wine comes from.

Nguyen, it is possible to know, other than the vintage, how long did you decanted your Bordeaux?

----------------------------------

Private Wine and Gourmet Tours in Piedmont and the Alps
www.wineandpassiontouroperator.com

My blog on savoir vivre in Piedmont

epicureanpiedmont.blogspot.com

Posts: 23 | Location: Torino | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like brett to me. Some would contend that brett is a nice, funky note in a wine but, to me (especially in a Bordeaux), "funk" or brett is a flaw if it's pronounced.

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
personally, I find the Bordeaux barnyard smell to be rather off-putting. I have enjoyed many Merlots, including those of Washington state and there is nothing wrong with enjoying Merlot.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7135 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, barnyard is a serious flaw in Bordeaux.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if one is not familiar, aged cab's / cab blends will have that wet tobacco characteristic that someone may mistake for "Barnyard"

barnyard is pretty offputting to me.

wet tobacco is very distinctive for a cab in my opinion

and depending ont he year, the monbousquet is certainly not a "delicate" wine

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11976 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought that funk and barnyard were the same - Is this the second time in my life I am wrong Bang

Posts: 719 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post