WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN's: Visit to Feiler-Artinger Winery (Austria)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN's: Visit to Feiler-Artinger Winery (Austria)
 Login/Join 
posted
On the recommendation of Tsunami, my wife and I visited this winery on the afternoon we were drinving from Budapest to Vienna. The winery is located in the town of Rust (pronounced Roost). It is a vacation town on the West side of Lake Neusiedl (the famous Kracher estate is on the other side of the lake). The tasting room is open to the public Monday-Saturday 8am to 7pm. No appointment is needed. In the tasting room we met Inge Feiler (wife of the former winemaker/owner, Hans, and mother to the current winemaker, Kurt). She spoke very good English and couldn't have been friendlier.

The estate has been in the Feiler family for over 100 years. Prior to 1947, they sold off their grapes to the cooperative. In 1989, the vineyards owned by the Artinger family were brought into the estate by marriage. 27% of the estate vines are a native Austrian red grape, Blaufrankisch. Kurt has been the winemaker since 1994 after apprenticing at Chateau Cheval Blanc in St. Emilion.

The estate makes a wide range of wines and some of the wines are sold in the US. I was able to taste 16 wines ranging from the 2000-2004 vintages. The stars in the Feiler portfolio are their sweet wines; but, I thought the Reds were also very exciting.

Here are my notes (with the prices being charged at the estate):

WHITE WINES
2004 Welschriesling Trocken($5.30)- This was a very pretty wine. Aromas of apricot blossoms. Very fresh with lively fruit notes and good acidity. Surprising for the price. 87 points.

2000 Cuvee Gustav Trocken($13.75)- Their top dry white. A blend of Pinot Gris, Chardonnay and Neuburger (an important white grape variety). This wine is aged in 100% new oak and is rather serious. Any fan of California Chards will flip over this wine. Unfortunately, I am no fan. This showed some heat and spice notes. A fuller nose than the 2001. Compare the price to Cal Chards and you will see what a deal this is. Other would like this better than me. Not my style. 86+ points.

2001 Cuvee Gustav Trocken($13.75)- 13.5% alcohol. Much more to my liking. No heat on the finish. Still a little too much toasted oak for me but it did not seem as heavy as the 2000. 89+ points.

ROSE WINES
2004 Rose Blaufrankisch Trocken($6.25)- Light bodied and refreshing. A dry wine. Pale rose color. 84-85 points.

RED WINES
2003 Blaufrankisch Umriss Trocken($13.75)- This was my first purchase. I brought it to drink in Austria but never got around to it so I brought it home. This is a single vineyard wine from the Umriss vineyard. 13.5% alcohol and aged in used barrique. Solid red color. Kirsch nose. Bitter red fruit on the midpalate with pepper notes. Long finish. 88 points.

2003 Pinot Noir Trocken($13.75)- One of the few disappointing wines. Light colored and simple. Aged in used oak. Not much character but a pleasant wine. 84-85 points.

2003 Zweigelt & More Trocken($22.50)- Now we are getting into the serious reds. 88% Zweigelt and 12% Cab Sauvignon. Aged in new oak barriques. Full bodied with firm tannins. Notes of black cherry and red meat. Long ripe finish. 90-91 points.

2002 Solitaire Trocken($31.25)- My favorite red. 50% Blaufrankisch, 31% Cab Franc and 18% Zweigelt (although the blend changes every year). Aged in new barrique. Already showing exceptional balance. Chewy texture. A good core of dark fruit with well rounded tannins. Medium to full bodied. You can detect Kurt Feilers Bordeaux training in this wine. I bought this wine. 91-92 points.

2003 Solitaire Trocken($32.50)- If I was looking for potential, this is the wine. However, I loved the allure of the 2002 so I bought that wine and passed on this bottle. A powerful wine. 50% Blaufrankisch, 31% Cab Sauvignon, 16% Merlot and 3% Zweigelt. Aged in new oak for 18 months. Extremely ripe. Some licorice on the nose. Rather harsh now and it needs time to come together. Very young with most of the fruit hidden. 89-92+ points.

SWEET WINES
2003 Welschriesling Auslese($10)- This wine floored me. I could not believe the quality for the price (this is a $25 wine from Germany). 12% alcohol. Aged in stainless steel. A killer tropical fruit and gardenia nose. Clean pure pear notes with some floral overtones. Nicely balanced. Needless to say I bought this. 92 points.

2004 Beerenauslese($12.50/375ml)- A 50/50 blend of Chardonnay and Weischriesling. An explosive nose that burst out of the glass. Medium bodied with exotic fruits and some spicy pear and peach notes. A little bit on the sweet side now or it would have scored higher. 90-91 points.

2004 Traminer Beerenauslese($12.50/375ml)- Noticeably less sweet than the regular Beerenauslese. This is 100% Traminer. Tropical fruits and rose petals on the nose. Light bodied. Fruity. It needed a little more acidity. 88 points.

2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Beerenauslese($18.75/375ml)- The 1st time I ever saw a Cab Sauvignon BA. This was also the 1st time Feiler has ever made this wine. 2004 was a little wet and they did not like the ripeness of the CS fruit so they left it on the vines to ripen further and botrytis developed so they decided to make a BA. Very intriguing. Rose colored. The wine was fermented on its skins. 13% alcohol. Despite a high sugar level (7.8g/l), the wine was only moderately sweet for a BA. Light texture and medium bodied. You could taste some tannins mixed among the sweet red fruit. I had to buy this. 91+ points.

RUSTER AUSBRUCH WINES- This is the name the Trockenbeerenauslese wines are given in the Rust appellation.
2001 Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvee($23.75/375ml)- A blend of Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris. This wine just flowed and flowed and flowed. What great balance this showed which is the hallmark of a great sweet wine. Notes of citrus, lemon, apricot and pear nectar. An absolutely stunning QPR as well. Of course I bought this. 93-94 points.

2002 Ruster Ausbruch($23.75/375ml)- Well this just steps it up a notch from the Pinot Cuvee. Now I am getting excited. Sweet but with piercing acidity. A viscous wine with notes of mango, kiwi and papaya. Long finish to cap off a great wine. 94-95 points.

2001 Ruster Ausbruch Welschriesling Essenz($37.50/375ml)- I'm not sure what the winemaking difference between this wine and the regular Ruster Ausbruchs is but there just seemed to be more of everything. More fruit, more sugar, more acidity. 100% Weischriesling. A thick wine. The nose smelled of new carpet and tropical fruits. Concentrated but not cloying. On the finish the wine seemed almost lacey. Beautiful. However, I will caution that this wine is very young and needs time to develop more fully. What a wine it will be though when it does blossom. 95+ points.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12252 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Smile,

btw,
the best i ever had was the 1995 ausbruch essenz.

chefalbino.com

https://www.facebook.com/albino.tuosto

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you again Tsunami. By the way, the 2001 Essenz was not even on the tasting list. Inge Feiler must have liked us because when we were done she said we had to stay and try one more wine. That is when she pulled out the Essenz.

VM

Posts: 12252 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is when she pulled out the Essenz.

Big Grin cooool Big Grin

chefalbino.com

Posts: 2594 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino Me: Thanks for the information and notes on this producer. Information is rather limited on many of these Austrian wineries.

I've had some of their wines and agree the sweet wines are top notch.

I have a bottle each of the 1999 Ausbruch Welschriesling and 1999 Ruster Ausbruch Chardonnay-Weissburgunder Essenz. Do either of you have any idea about the 1999 vintage or have a drinking window for these wines??

Also, have either of you tried any wines from Weingut Wenzel? One of the best sweet wines I've had was the 1999 Ruster Ausbruck Gelber Muskateller from Wenzel. Helmut Lang is another producer with some very interesting sweet wines from Lake Neusiedl.

Posts: 334 | Location: Near Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi joea,

it's been long time i didn't see you.

i agree with you (i'm not shure "anderas") wenzel,
really is also in the top liga.

chefalbino.com

posted Hide Post
Tsunami: It is actually Michael Wenzel. He makes some fantastic wines if you ever get to try them. Do you know of Helmut Lang?

Posts: 334 | Location: Near Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
joea,

I've never had a wine from Wenzel. I will have to keep an eye out for his wines.

VM

posted Hide Post
joea,

upss..... i missed you question, sorry.

no i don't remember to ever had a Lang.

chefalbino.com

posted Hide Post
I just added some photos from our visit to this winery to my original post.

VM

posted Hide Post
Vino Me: Try Wenzel on your next trip to Austria. I don't think you will find any of his wines in the US.

posted Hide Post
Joe,

Thanks for the advice on the Wenzel. FYI, I found a shop in the US that not only carries Feiler-Artinger but also quite a few wines from Wenzel.

Winemonger

VM

posted Hide Post
Thanks VM! I'll take a look!

posted Hide Post
2003 Feiler-Artinger Blaufrankisch Umriss Trocken

I opened the bottle I bought in Austria last weekend for an Oktoberfest party at our house with a few board members. I liked this a little better than when I had it in Austria. Perhaps it was the memories. 89-90 points.

VM

posted Hide Post
I noticed that WS just rated a couple of these wines in the most recent issue of the magazine.

2003 Feiler-Artinger Blaufrankisch Umriss Trocken- WS89

2002 Ruster Ausbruch- WS90

2001 Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvee- WS93(this is an older review)

2003 Solitaire- WS86

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

posted Hide Post
2001 Feiler-Artinger Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvée - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee Hügelland, Rust (10/16/2008)

My wife and I bought this wine at the winery in Austria a few years ago. We opened our only half bottle with Otis and his wife a couple weeks ago. This was paired with dessert of peaches baked on the grill with brown sugar butter and melted white chocolate. Just as good as when I had this at the winery. Well balanced with an abundance of fruit. Slightly gold in color. Notes of citrus, spice, white fruit and nectar. Long well rounded finish. 94 points.

VM

posted Hide Post
2003 Feiler-Artinger Welschriesling Auslese - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee Hügelland, Rust (4/14/2010)

I opened this wine after a 2001 Fritz Haag BJS Spatlese at our home for Otis, Anwar and their wives last weekend. I was disappointed in this wine. It is not available in the US. We bought one bottle of it in 2005 at the winery in the town of Rust, Burgenland, Austria during a vacation and thought it was a fantastic wine for $10. It was so fresh and tropical back then that it was irresistible. Obviously this was a wine to drink when young (at least for me palate) because it had changed considerably. Anwar noticed sweet tea notes which were obvious when to me as well when I tried it. It also had richer fruit notes of pear and apple cider. The acidity had faded a bit as well. It was still a very good wine. 88 points.

I still have half the bottle left so I will try it again this week.

VM

posted Hide Post
2002 Feiler-Artinger Solitaire - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland, Rust (11/22/2012)

Opened my only bottle on Thanksgiving. Purchased at the winery in 2005. Medium bodied. Chocolate and currant notes. This was showing very well without any signs of fading. Very similar to when I last had this. 91 points.

VM

posted Hide Post
2001 Feiler-Artinger Pinot Cuvée Ruster Ausbruch - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland (2/11/2014)

4th time I have had this and each time it has been consistently fine. Served with dessert of a fresh biscuit, apples, fresh cream and a piece of candied bacon on the side. I thought this showed mush better than the 1998 La Tour Blanche which was poured next to it. Ruster Ausbruch is the term Austrians use for Trockenbeerenauslese wines. This had wonderful piercing acidity. Tropical notes of star fruit with pear nectar and a verbena/herbal quality. Worth every bit of WS's 93 point score. 93-94 points.

VM

posted Hide Post
2004 Feiler-Artinger Cabernet Sauvignon Beerenauslese - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland (6/29/2014)

Opened with chocolate mousse. Slightly sedimented. Brownish copper color. Notes of brown sugar, red currant, raspberries and grape skins. Good mouthfeel. Not heavy or cloying. Only moderately sweet for a BA but definitely a dessert wine. 92-93 points.

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
2001 Feiler-Artinger Pinot Cuvée Ruster Ausbruch - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland (2/11/2014)

4th time I have had this and each time it has been consistently fine. Served with dessert of a fresh biscuit, apples, fresh cream and a piece of candied bacon on the side. I thought this showed mush better than the 1998 La Tour Blanche which was poured next to it. Ruster Ausbruch is the term Austrians use for Trockenbeerenauslese wines. This had wonderful piercing acidity. Tropical notes of star fruit with pear nectar and a verbena/herbal quality. Worth every bit of WS's 93 point score. 93-94 points.

VM

Brought my last bottle of the 2001 Feiler-Artinger Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvée to an offline dinner a few weeks ago. It hasn't lost anything, it seems a timeless wine - so good, so balanced. Wish I had more of these. I've searched high and low all over Vienna and surrounding areas hunting for any remaining bottles without success.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Brought my last bottle of the 2001 Feiler-Artinger Ruster Ausbruch Pinot Cuvée to an offline dinner a few weeks ago. It hasn't lost anything, it seems a timeless wine - so good, so balanced. Wish I had more of these. I've searched high and low all over Vienna and surrounding areas hunting for any remaining bottles without success.

I have one left. Come to Chicago and I'll open it.

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

I have one left. Come to Chicago and I'll open it.

VM

I'd love to, and maybe I can make it happen sometime soon.

I found another bottle that was hiding in my wine cellar at the cottage this weekend and we drank it last night at my wife's birthday dinner. One more bottle that was drinking superbly.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post