WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2001 Castello di Volpaia Balifico (Tuscany)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2001 Castello di Volpaia Balifico (Tuscany)
 Login/Join 
posted
Sangiovese with Cabernet Sauvignon.

I think I read this is only 10% Cab, but it tastes more like 50% Cab.

Very darkly colored... Still young, I'd drink now-2012+.

Lots of what strikes me as menthol/green pepper Cab flavor... Reminds me of a '97 Chateau Montelena Cab, believe it or not. Anyhow, the finish is delicious but very drying... Still lots of tannin in this wine.

I preferred the 2000 of this wine, but cab lovers should give the 2001 a try. Very nice wine. 92pts is probably about right for this, too.

I can taste it distinctly more than a minute later. Big but groovy wine.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a bottle of this a few months ago and I concur with your opinion. A well made modern wine, dark and cabernet-like in its concentration, but with the characteristic acidity on the finish that marks it as an Italian red and makes it pretty versitile with food.

"I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."

Posts: 880 | Location: Newport Beach, CA | Registered: Jan 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened a few nights ago, tasted over two evenings. Very inviting damp earth and truffles on nose. Fairly dark, almost inky color still. Big palate of dark cherries and mushrooms. Tannins are still a bit formidable and somewhat bitter like almonds or roasted garlic. Needs more time in my opinion.

90 points.

Ardeis in Seminole

Posts: 421 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post