WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1995 Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 1995 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2/21/2009)
    This was absolutely wonderful. Took about an hour to fully open up, but when it did it showed a very expressive nose of juniper berry, garrigue and blackberries. This led to a full-bodied palate with dark fruits, herb, and meaty notes supported by a minerally spine. Finishes long with no rough edges. Very well balanced and absolutely singing right now. Didn't find this to be tough or tannic at all. If you have some, it would be worth cracking one open. Wonderful with lamb stew. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My apologies to James Molesworth, but juniper berry is a wonderful descriptor for that particular flavor that is so common in Vieux Donjon. I hope you don't mind my stealing it.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this wine a lot. Started with 12 and now have just 2 left. For my taste, this is prime time right now.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for encouraging me to open it. It was fantastic. Thanks to snipes and PH as well. They also had a hand in it. There was another couple with us last night and this was the clear favorite of everyone except my wife. She liked the Cayuse.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/6/2011)

JBurman opened this when he came up from Florida. 1st time I have had the 1995 although I've had the 1996, 1999 and 2001. This was on par with all of them give or take a point or two. Solid red color. Very pretty nose. No brett. Rounded texture. Spice, leather and berry notes. Medium bodied. 92 points.

VM

Posts: 12330 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved the black pepper notes on this wine! 92P.

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3419 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bump for billhike. Hope your bottle shows well tonight. Wink

Posts: 1631 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post