WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    '95 Clerc Milon -- Going Somewhere?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'95 Clerc Milon -- Going Somewhere?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your Clerc Milon's. I started buying them in the 1985 and continued thru up to the 1995. In 1997 I still was having trouble being able to appreciate the 1985 and 1986 - had to give plenty of time to breath, decanting, then knew that they still had another few years before they would be ready. For me, I said, I do not want to purchase any more wines that will take 20 years to come around and that is where I think most of the Clerc Milons will begin to get real maturity. Not for my two bucks.

Again, to all of you fans, good luck and I hope you are still in your 30's.

Posts: 127 | Location: La Habra Heights, CA | Registered: Aug 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No official tasting notes, but this was thin, acidic and tannins.

Not a fan at all.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12194 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was 'yucky'. Surprised the entire bottle got drunk.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7672 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
I thought it was 'yucky'. Surprised the entire bottle got drunk.

your dump bucket was also quite full =P

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12194 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was mostly the 'Evil'. Peer liked the bottle and asked me to dump out the wine and fill it with something better Smile

Not exactly an overly formal group we have.

Going through my cellar I was suprised how little wine I have from Pauillac, St Julien and Margaux. Most of my Bordeaux is St Estephe, Pessec, St Emilion, or Pomorol. I guess I'm more of a Merlot kind of guy.

I think this latest poor showing has me convinced to bundle off my 1995's and use the proceeds on 01's and 03's.

Stefania Wine

Posts: 7672 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it, thought "this is why I so rarely buy red bordeaux" and moved on to something better.

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The surprise miss of the night was the Lewis 'Mason' Cabernet, which got 94 WS points I think. I dumped out 80% of it the next day, no one tried it.

I thought the 97 CGV George's Vineyard was very good. The last two bottles I had had were a little rough.

Stefania Wine

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
The surprise miss of the night was the Lewis 'Mason' Cabernet, which got 94 WS points I think. I dumped out 80% of it the next day, no one tried it.

didn't get a chance at the cgv..
but the lewis was flabby inky and disjointed if i recall ... (unless this was a bottle that was opened after I was drinking port, in which case, I take it back and say I've never tried it)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
  • 1995 Château Clerc Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/13/2011)
    Decanted for around an hour at home and then poured back into the bottle and decanted a further hour and a half at the Restaurant Didier in Toronto. Nose showed notes of red licorice, red cherry, cigar smoke, truffle and lots of sweet cedar. In the mouth, lots of red fruits, sweet tannins that were mostly resolved, and very nice acidity. Very, very nice showing from this wine. Drink now to 2015. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a comparative tasting with the 1995 and the 2000 Clerc Milon a few months ago. Both were great, and the 2000 was better by just a hair, but the 1995 was very good. Maybe these were sleeping when people tried them years ago, but they are starting to wake up now. I'm looking forward to see where they go over the next 10 years.

Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
opened last night and decanted for 2 hours, it needed three at least, for this wine to even start to wake up. Amazing and complex, a treat to drink.

Posts: 3714 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post