WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    '95 Clerc Milon -- Going Somewhere?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'95 Clerc Milon -- Going Somewhere?
 Login/Join 
posted
Had been sitting on a six pack and decided to sample one over the weekend. The Clerc was one of the more highly regarded offerings from '95 (i.e., WS 95 pts).

Had to give it an hour before I could even begin to sort things out. Concentration, structure and finish were there, but the flavor profile seemed off. Smoke, coffee and some dill, but little fruit or complexity. It seems to have the tannins to sit longer, so I'm glad to wait for better days if they're in the cards. Would be equally happy to hear that bottle variation may be to blame. If you've had recent experience with the '95 Clerc or useful insight regarding '95 Bordeaux in general (see accompanying post), I would appreciate the input.

Posts: 223 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be too concerned. I had this wine approximately 18 months ago in a Bordeaux-focused blind tasting I hosted for 10 of my friends. It was the clear winner among a respectable set of grand crus that included 1997 Lafite Rothschild, 1995 Lafon Rochet & others I don't remeber. Unlike what you describe, the wine had a lot of fruit and complexity.

It may be that you had an off bottle, as it is highly unlikely such a young wine would be in decline after only 7 years of age. My experience with Clerc Milon is that it is drinkable soon after release and rarely enters into a dumb phase.

I have another 7 bottles in my EuroCave at 55 degrees waiting to be consumed. I strongly recommend this wine, although the 95 WS pts may be a stretch by 2-3 points.

big grin

Posts: 499 | Location: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: Feb 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of the 1986 and the 1989. Anyone tried those Clerc Milons?

Posts: 95 | Location: San Francisco CA USA | Registered: Nov 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pelochain, thanks for your thoughtful input. If you happen to sample another of your '95s, I would be interested to see if your reaction is the same. I too recall having a bottle around 18 months ago. I remember it being much better then than the bottle I had this past weekend. In any event, I have several more, so I plan to investigate again in another year or two.

Posts: 223 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this last night with leg of lamb in a garlic rosemary and citrus rub. The idea was to see what went better with lamb, CDP or Bordeaux.

I decanted about 40 minutes before we ate. The Clerc Milon was all structure, tannin and acid. In your face bracing and powerful, with mineral, smoke and hints of fruit. It never opened up. Not even the last sip 3 hours later gave a hint of letting up.

Conclusions for me - 1995's are monsters, like the 1986's. I'll probably try my next Clerc Milon around 2010-2012. The bigger wines I have Cos, Mouton, Lafite - will be drinking well in 2020+. The 2000's I have, which should be similiar to the 1995's, will be enjoyed by my nephews when I'm drinking prune juice 30-40 years from now.

---------------
Santa Cruz Mountains Vintage Chart

Posts: 7682 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a six pack of this and was starting to be tempted. Now I'll wait, thanks for the notes.

Posts: 1570 | Registered: Jan 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a magnum of the 1995 Clerc Milon and thought it might be good to hold it till 2010/2012.

I've felt that 1995 was an overhyped good vintage, but not as good as the Chateaux would have us believe. 1995 was the year the Bordelais first spiked the prices of their wines..... Frown

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few '95 Bordeaux and peridically try one seeking signs of life....so far none. Flat, dumb tannin and acid monsters with little fruit or pleasure. Echoing a comment above, I'm waiting till 2010+ to try again..

Posts: 109 | Location: Lambertville, NJ | Registered: Mar 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with trying one of these or any of the '95s, I suppose, but there's no good reason to expect that they'll offer anything special before they reach at least 10 or 15 years of age.

Just my 2 oz. ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give me a fast connection and a bottle of Geyserville and I'm out of here!

Posts: 986 | Registered: Nov 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had the 95 Clerc Milon but many of the comments suggest it needs time. I recently opened a 1995 Leoville las Cases and decanted it two hours before dinner. It was truly excellent ...........the next day.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...I'm holding off on opening any of my '89 or '90 Clerc Milon, until I see reason to do otherwise. So why open a '95?

Just my 2 oz.,

geo

Give me a fast connection and a bottle of Geyserville and I'm out of here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: geo t.,

Posts: 986 | Registered: Nov 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I can think of three good reasons.....

First I buy Clerc Milon and d'Armailhac for just such testing. I prefer to check in on those wines rather than my Cos d'Estournel, Mouton or Lafite. Better to do your testing cheap.

I read critics, but I don't really 'trust' them. It's better to have your own opinions, own experiences and own judgements. I hate sheep.

Second was I've had this thread in mind for a year and a half or so. I have never met Pelochain, but I've heard fantastic things about him from two gentlemen I respect a great deal who have; Otisabdul and Gusbo. His comment seemed odd to me, not what I would expect from a 95. But rather than questioning that without experience I figured I'd wait until I had a chance to comment from an educated and experienced point of view.

We should all do more of that. There is an unbelievable amount of uniformed bickering that goes on here. People questioning other peoples notes and motives, without their own notes to back it up. Before questioning Pelochain's note, I felt I owed it to him as a gentleman to speak from my own experience.

Finally, we entertained very good friends on Sunday night. They had just had the 2000 Clerc Milon at a tasting and were very excited about it. The first Clerc they had ever had. I thought it a wonderful chance to share a similiar wine - 5 years older - too help them on their way of learning and loving wine.

And that's the real reason. Wine should be about the moment, the event, the friends, the learning, the food and the friendship. I'm often bothered here that we put wine in the front seat when it should be coming along for the ride. Wine is a part of life, not the driving factor. Relax, enjoy it, it's just wine. Focus on your friends, your guests, and your family and let the wine follow along.

(PS Geo t. that wasn't really directed at you, just stuff I've wanted to say and this was the right time and right thread Wink )

---------------
Santa Cruz Mountains Vintage Chart

Posts: 7682 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tlily

Nicely stated, and a good 2000 post!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the '95 Clerc Milon last year out of a half bottle. I was impressed, and have since purchased some from '98 and '00. The '95 will certainly improve beyond ten years, in my opinion.

Passion turns intentions into habits.

Posts: 624 | Location: Tyrone, GA | Registered: Feb 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wine should be about the moment, the event, the friends, the learning, the food and the friendship. I'm often bothered here that we put wine in the front seat when it should be coming along for the ride. Wine is a part of life, not the driving factor. Relax, enjoy it, it's just wine. Focus on your friends, your guests, and your family and let the wine follow along.

tlily
Extremely well put! Cool

BTW, your Sharks are takin' on Vitis' Avs...do I sense a bet coming on...
Wink

I offer sound advice.
That's 99% sound and 1% advice

Posts: 2243 | Location: Vanc. Island, B.C. Canada | Registered: Dec 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riddler, Tlily, I had the 95 twice in the last year and both time I had the same experience you encountered - Tannins, acid, concentration but not a really enjoyable wine right now. I would rate it 85 pts but hopefully it will come around. I have had the same experience with every 95 I've bought and frankly, right now, I'm more a fan of the 97 vintage than the 95. I have had only one bottle of 95 I've liked in the last 4-5 years and it was the Roc de Cambes. everything else is concentrated but does not show much fruit. I hope it comes around. The 96 are drinking really nice right now and I wish I had spent more money on that vintage than the 95. Unfortunately, I did the opposite.
By the way, I have had all of the Clerc Milons between 1994 and 1999 and 1995 is by far the most disappointing. I like the wine, but I think that the critics missed the boat with 1995, not only for Clerc Milon but for the entire vintage.

Posts: 260 | Location: Lansdale, Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TN: 95 Clerc Milon

Not much of a Bordeaux drinker/critic but found this quite appealing. Very dark ruby in color with little sediment. The nose is a wonderful mix of cherries, tobacco, and cedar. The palate is dominated by blackberries/dark fruit with a trace of liquorish. The finish begins with the drying tannins I have found before in Bordeaux, but then the tannins turn sweet and the finish lingers nicely. CN93

CabNut

Posts: 448 | Location: NH | Registered: Feb 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, CN. I have found 95 bordeaux to be still be quite tight, and at least a few years away from peak. What do you think about ideal drinking window for this one?

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grossie:

Not much of an expert on these wines, but with that said I'm thinking I'll wait two or three years before trying another. I'm hoping the drying tannins will fade and we'll be looking at a wonderful, long, and untarnished finish.

CabNut

Posts: 448 | Location: NH | Registered: Feb 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slick I drank the 89' last week in a tasting of 89' Bordeaux I put together for my wine group. The wine was fantastic. Medium body. terrific complexity and structure. Finished 3rd behind Pichon Baron and Domine de Chavalier. I would not hesitate to open now.

Posts: 796 | Location: Stow,Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the Clerc Milon a few weeks ago, side by side with La Tour Martillac and Haut-Bailly. IMHO, the CM still needs time, as it didn't really open up over the course of two days. My TNs can be found here.

Posts: 2203 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my Mag of 1995 C/M and although RMP feels it has a maturity drinking window of 2002-2015, I'll continue to keep it in the cellar till 2010.

posted Hide Post
Latour67, nice post. The reason I picked the three '95ers for our offline (see link above) were the WS drinking window: Clerc Milon : best after '01; Haut-Bailly: best after '01; La Tour Martillac: best from 2001 through 2006. All three bottles came from the SAME cellar (where they had stayed since release)...yet, the HB was fully mature, while the CM was a baby.

Posts: 2203 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
StevieCage I am surprised that the Haut Bailly was fully mature, but not so surprised about the C/M...Parker rated the HB 90 points with a window of 2000--2018. I would have opened the HB 2010, but I prefer my Bordeaux aged. Still, I'm sure it made for a great comparison and that is how to learn!

I have some 1994 Pontet Canet that is resting till 2007, but it could be 2012! Parker rated it 93 points, but it is so backward, I doubt that it will be ready till 2012 or after!

posted Hide Post
I recently opened a bottle of 95 Sociando and 95 Haut Batailley (the paulliac) and found them both to be a few years from ready. It kind of makes sense, as my gut would tell me that wine from a good year like 95 should take 15 or so yrs to fully mature.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post