WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Pedroncelli Four Grapes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Pedroncelli Four Grapes
 Login/Join 
posted
Label says Vintage Port but of course, it's not. Shameful that Pedroncelli lies and cheats about what this is, even though they do use Tinta Madeira, Souzao and other grapes that go into real port.

Nose of really really young port. Also Swedish berries, candied cherries and dark chocolate.

Dusty dusty black cherries, red licorice and asphalt - maybe gravel. Reminds me of really young ports, and why I prefer to let them age at least 20 years. All in all, decent dessert wine and QPR.

87 points

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10661 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iv'e never seen this wine retail. How much did you pay?

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Iv'e never seen this wine retail. How much did you pay?

$20 for a 500 ml bottle. Of course, that was in Ontario. It's probably about $5.95 in the US! Frown Mad Bang Horse

http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-e...EN&itemNumber=204487

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10661 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he will get over it. I had the pleasure of meeting bman and talking to him for a few minutes last summer. He struck me as the kind of guy who would rather focus on having a good time. Smile

Posts: 5433 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yes, thanks, I'm over it now..... Smile

Though every time I think about The Prisoner, which is available for the first time in Ontario, selling for $50 a bottle........... Spit

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
The Prisoner is about a $38 bottle of wine. +$12 is not too bad. But that Four Grapes is only +$1.00. That is good import qpr. Wink

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
The Prisoner is about a $38 bottle of wine. +$12 is not too bad. But that Four Grapes is only +$1.00. That is good import qpr. Wink

Actually, such a small mark-up on the Pedroncelli is a minor miracle here! But the markup on the Prisoner is scandalous - over 30%. It was one thing when our dollar was way lower than yours, but our dollars have been at parity for ages now. And a 30% markup is, if anything, a little lower than usual.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
I have bought these "ports' for many years now. They age very well, as I pulled a 94 out of the cellar recently.

These wines are typically only available through the winery, I'm surprised they were found retail. A really good buy for the price.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that these are quite tasty vintage fortified wines made in the traditional "Port" style. Sandy hit it right on the head. They may not be Ports for the ages, but represent solid value.

2006 Pedroncelli Vintage Port ‘Four Grapes,’ Dry Creek Valley

Pedroncelli has a long and celebrated history of producing vintage Port using the traditional grapes of Portugal – Tinta Madeira, Souzao, Touriga, and Tinto Cao. The nose is a veritable spicebox of licorice, brown sugar, pie spices, and a note of salted nuts, all neatly complementing the fleshy, sweet plum fruit. On the palate, it is thick, sweet, and spicy. Delicious now, it should continue to evolve for two decades. Good value.

MSRP: $19/500 ml (December 2011)

Wine Lines rating: 91

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1710 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that you HDW? I haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Please give ourbest to M.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi DoktaP!

Yup, it is I. I have started lurking again, after getting my website up and running.

I will give your regards to Mrs. HDW.

We extend our best wishes to you and the Mrs., and the Toronto crew.

highdesertwine

Posts: 1710 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We extend our best wishes to you and the Mrs., and the Toronto crew.

Why not pay us a visit and say your hellos in person. We'd love to host you!!!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me check with the Better Half and see what she says. Maybe it is time to review the wines of Niagara Peninsula again...

highdesertwine