WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1990 Leoville Poyferre
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1990 Leoville Poyferre
 Login/Join 
posted
Brought to Azur in Key West to celebrate Mother's Day with MLV's folks:

Spent probably 40 minutes in the decanter before we tasted. Nose was powerful, fairly youthful and could tell immediately it was going to be a good bottle. Classic St. Julien bottle - some funk on the nose, with strong blackberry, currant, and earth, some smokiness and what I call the creamy finish that I always find in St. Juliens. I don't think the descriptor is apt, but it is always what comes to my mind. Depp in color, still tannic. Beautiful bottle.

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Spent probably 40 minutes in the decanter before we tasted. Nose was powerful, fairly youthful and could tell immediately it was going to be a good bottle. Classic St. Julien bottle - some funk on the nose, with strong blackberry, currant, and earth, some smokiness and what I call the creamy finish that I always find in St. Juliens. I don't think the descriptor is apt, but it is always what comes to my mind. Depp in color, still tannic. Beautiful bottle.

Sounds awesome! Just to clarify, was the color more "Sissorhands" or "Pirates of the Caribbean"? Razz

Posts: 338 | Location: Palmetto Bay, FL | Registered: Oct 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoopty:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Sounds awesome! Just to clarify, was the color more "Sissorhands" or "Pirates of the Caribbean"? Razz

More like Ed Wood actually Big Grin

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. What did you pair it with? gnocchi????

Posts: 2254 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MLV had toasted gnocci with brown butter - match was perfect; Mother in law had gnocci with porcinis etc. did not taste

I had grouper with panko crust on a harrissa chick pea salad etc. Not as good a match but was delicious

posted Hide Post
We had this wine tonight with some grilled prime ribeyes. The color was a dark garnet with no hint of browning. It had a powerful nose of cedar, spice, wet earth, and stewed fruit. On the palate, lush dark berry and cassis flavors were balanced by ample acidity and plenty of moderate tannins. Excellent now, but will undoubtedly improve. I will hold my remaining bottles and expect to open the next one in 2-3 years. 94 now and may pick up 2 or 3 more points as it reaches prime drinking.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decanted this about 15 minutes ago and filtered the last bit into my glass, and it is that upon which I base these comments. This is far better than the previous bottles of this wine! Cedar and deep rich dark fruit aromas and lots of plummy berry flavors. I can only imagine how wonderful the wine in the decanter will be. Tastes fully ready to drink with nigh perfect balance. 97

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible juice!

Board-O, any experience with newer vintages ('00 & '03 in particular)?

I popped one of my '07's recently, curious after I read an article regarding the progression of the vintage. The wine was absolutely gorgeous, and a steal compared to current releases.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you mean experience with Leoville Poyferre, I've had probably 6 or 7 vintages, but none from any vintages more recent than the 1990.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I just traded for a bottle of this.

I will open over the holiday season.

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
If you mean experience with Leoville Poyferre, I've had probably 6 or 7 vintages, but none from any vintages more recent than the 1990.

Perhaps 2003 one day?

Posts: 84 | Location: washington dc | Registered: Feb 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had this wine tonight with some grilled prime ribeyes. The color was a dark garnet with no hint of browning. It had a powerful nose of cedar, spice, wet earth, and stewed fruit. On the palate, lush dark berry and cassis flavors were balanced by ample acidity and plenty of moderate tannins. Excellent now, but will undoubtedly improve. I will hold my remaining bottles and expect to open the next one in 2-3 years. 94 now and may pick up 2 or 3 more points as it reaches prime drinking.

IMO this is one of the best 90s, perhaps not as great as the Margaux or CB but just drinking perfectly at the moment.

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 84 | Location: washington dc | Registered: Feb 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more! Love the notes!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

We will expect notes!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

We will expect notes!

Will do. I will post on the DRC wines also soon.

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post