WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    NV Michel Arnould & Fils Reserve Brut Champagne Grande Cru
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NV Michel Arnould & Fils Reserve Brut Champagne Grande Cru
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

This is a brilliant $30 NV Champagne. Hazelnuts galore, with sea salt, butterscotch, and dry Sherry on the nose. The palate has the same flavors with just a hint of orange zest and asain pear for some fruit, but this is a mineral/bread/yeast dominated Champagne to be sure. Great mousse. Lots of medium-fine bubbles that seem perfectly spaced. Very long finish. At least 40 seconds. The pinnicle of heresey -- having had the new label Krug Grand Cuvee 3 times, without doing an A/B comparison, I cannot say, in good consious, that this isn't actually the better wine. It is certainly better than Bollinger SC, Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label, etc. 93

I had forgotten that I split a case of this with wiml and skoshy. Wiml was keeping it in his cellar for me (along with other wine) and Joe brought me one last week to an offline for T-Dub.

WOW! I had a bottle like winetarelli first one. What a great, GREAT bottle of wine. I have nothing to add to his tasting note, except I would give this bottle 94+, with ease.

quote:
Decided to open this also last night, and glad we did.

This bottle was smoking.

If you enjoy Pinot (66%) based Champagne, seek this producer out. While this is a very new Champagne, (1961) the family was selling their Grand Cru fruit to several of the major House's for generations.

So much wine for the money, and delivers what I enjoy when I'm in the mood for a Pinot based Champagne.

Great stuff, and will be seeking out more today.

SO glad you are enjoying this W+A. I remember when I first wrote my original TN I was like, "is this for real" -- is this really as good as I thik it is?

Glad others think so, too! Big Grin

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7482 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

SO glad you are enjoying this W+A. I remember when I first wrote my original TN I was like, "is this for real" -- is this really as good as I thik it is?

Glad others think so, too! Big Grin

There are certain palates I trust, and others I run from. Wink

Posts: 29971 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed that this is a very nice wine. I normally like the vintage a touch more, but my choice can depend on the price. Very solid producer that doesn't get much mention so it is nice to see a decent thread on them.

Cheers,

Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Posts: 108 | Location: Motown, USA | Registered: Mar 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.V. Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Verzenay, Champagne (7/7/2009)

Opened at the start of the 4th Chicago Steak Out at Otis' house. From magnum. 2nd time I have had this. Slightly less crisp this time around. Creamy texture with peach and a distinct nutty character. 89 points.

VM

Posts: 12155 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the "good but not great" bottles last night. Hazelnut, yeast, hint of stone fruits. 91.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7482 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Verzenay, Champagne (11/30/2012)

This was the first of the 2 bottles that I bought last January for $17. I've had the Arnould GC Reserve on 3 other occasions in 2009 and before. This was the best of them. Very aromatic with bread dough nuances. Moderate bead. Clean with fresh citrus and hazelnut notes. 91 points.

VM

Posts: 12155 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current release is all 2008 fruit and it's AMAZEBALLS. I love this at $35. Kinda like a mini-Krug.

Posts: 1450 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
The current release is all 2008 fruit and it's AMAZEBALLS. I love this at $35. Kinda like a mini-Krug.

Do these bottles have a disgorgement date? If so what was it?

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:

Do these bottles have a disgorgement date? If so what was it?

VM

Not that I can tell. Bottom of the bottle is etched 5-1306-115 which to me means nothing.

Posts: 1450 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post