WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    NV Michel Arnould & Fils Reserve Brut Champagne Grande Cru
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NV Michel Arnould & Fils Reserve Brut Champagne Grande Cru
 Login/Join 
posted
At around 7:00pm on December 31 it became clear that none of my wino friends would be joining me to ring in the new year so I decided to tone it down a bit. We drank NV Mumm's Napa Blanc de Noirs (which, at $11.70/bottle from Safeway is still a screaming deal) with dinner and as midnight approached got into some of this.

I must say I was a bit apprehensive at first. I love lots of grower-producer Champagnes but this was really pushed at K&L and I was told it was a direct import. If you have worked in the wine industry you know that, and this is especially true of Champagne where the markup often is less than 50% on normal bottles, stores make much more money on direct imports than they do off of wines bought via distributers.

As soon as I popped the cork I was saddened that I had not bought a case outright.

This is a brilliant $30 NV Champagne. Hazelnuts galore, with sea salt, butterscotch, and dry Sherry on the nose. The palate has the same flavors with just a hint of orange zest and asain pear for some fruit, but this is a mineral/bread/yeast dominated Champagne to be sure. Great mousse. Lots of medium-fine bubbles that seem perfectly spaced. Very long finish. At least 40 seconds. The pinnicle of heresey -- having had the new label Krug Grand Cuvee 3 times, without doing an A/B comparison, I cannot say, in good consious, that this isn't actually the better wine. It is certainly better than Bollinger SC, Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label, etc. 93

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7650 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. My interest in grower-producer Champagnes continues to grow... especially reading notes like this. I'll seek this out. Again, thanks.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

The pinnicle of heresey -- having had the new label Krug Grand Cuvee 3 times, without doing an A/B comparison, I cannot say, in good consious, that this isn't actually the better wine. It is certainly better than Bollinger SC, Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label, etc. 93

Hum... I must try this.

93, what would you score Krug Grand Cuvee and Bollinger Special Cuvee?

Thanks for the tasting note.

Posts: 30250 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
93, what would you score Krug Grand Cuvee and Bollinger Special Cuvee?

Thanks for the tasting note.

I've scored the new label NV Krug 92.5 and 93. (Old label got up to a 94 at one point in my book.)

Bolly SC I've had so many times but not recently... but I'd say it has always been 91-92.5, I don't recall it ever being quite as good as this was on this night.

posted Hide Post
Skoshy, can not find in our market.

Do you want to split some from K&L? Wink

Posts: 30250 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skoshy, wiml is in also.

Sounds like a case is in order!

Email incoming soon...

posted Hide Post
winetarelli,

wiml and I are looking at the K&L website to buy this wine.

Is this wine the Grand Cuvee ($35) or the Brut Reserve? ($30)

TIA.

posted Hide Post
The Brut Reserve - $30. Gosh... I hope you guys like it as much as I did! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Well, if we do not, we know where to send it! Wink

posted Hide Post
Tasted again tonight...

Very good value, not as good as last time.

I guess miniscule grower-producers that get direct imported will have some bottle variation...

Muted nose of apples, honey, orange rind and hazenuts. The palate is very light with apples, dry honey, hazelnuts, and brown spices. The finish is long but yet somehow a bit watery. This is still better than any mjor house's $30 Champagne, but this bottle is not the giant killer the first bottle was. 90.5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: winetarelli,

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by winetarelli:
Tasted again tonight...

Very good value, not as good as last time.

What? Skoshy,wiml and I bought a case! Red Face

Also, do you know what time it is? Wink

posted Hide Post
Hey, it was 2:52am... it was *early* when I posted that! I had another good 20 minutes of awake! Big Grin

Hopefully youy guys will all get bottles like my first, and not like my second. But this bottle wasn't BAD it just was, ok/good. Eitehr way, I'm sure you'll make us of them Wink

posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed this at our wine tasting.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skoshy and wiml, we need to taste this Champagne soon! Smile

Skoshy did you get yours last night from wiml?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Yep. She has hers and I have yours. Wink

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13624 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:

Yep. She has hers and I have yours. Wink

Okay, we need one of you to open one SOON, as mine are still in wiml's (thanks) cellar! Wink

posted Hide Post
w+a,

Here ya go. What else would I be doing on such a lovely afternoon in North Texas other than sipping champagne? Wink

N.V. Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Verzenay, Champagne (2/10/2008)
WIML90

Tasted February 10, 2008. 12% alcohol. Opened and served immediately. Yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout with vibrant, tiny beading. Somewhat exotic nose of gingersnap cookies, cardomon and toasted brioche. Flavors of tart yellow apples, pears and a little ginger on the finish framed with a vibrant mousse. Bright acidity, medium body. Medium to long, straightforward finish. Drink over the short term. Recommended as a good QPR NV champagne based on the $29.99 per bottle purchase price. (90 pts.)

Joe
-----

Posts: 13624 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The skosh's and w+a's enjoyed a bottle of this wine recently on the patio.

I'm thinking there may be a little bottle variation going on, as I thought our bottle was showing more like winetarelli first bottle. Cool

I enjoyed this wine more and more as it warmed up. A wonderful dose of nut, yeast, mineral and ginger, with apple, pear and a touch of honey showing.

I'm very glad we bought a case, and will buy more if my next bottle shows this well.

A fantastic $30 bottle of wine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

This is a brilliant $30 NV Champagne. Hazelnuts galore, with sea salt, butterscotch, and dry Sherry on the nose. The palate has the same flavors with just a hint of orange zest and asain pear for some fruit, but this is a mineral/bread/yeast dominated Champagne to be sure. Great mousse. Lots of medium-fine bubbles that seem perfectly spaced. Very long finish. At least 40 seconds. The pinnicle of heresey -- having had the new label Krug Grand Cuvee 3 times, without doing an A/B comparison, I cannot say, in good consious, that this isn't actually the better wine. It is certainly better than Bollinger SC, Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label, etc. 93

I had forgotten that I split a case of this with wiml and skoshy. Wiml was keeping it in his cellar for me (along with other wine) and Joe brought me one last week to an offline for T-Dub.

WOW! I had a bottle like winetarelli first one. What a great, GREAT bottle of wine. I have nothing to add to his tasting note, except I would give this bottle 94+, with ease.

posted Hide Post
N.V. Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Verzenay, Champagne (2/11/2009)
WIML91+

Tasted February 11, 2009 at an offline.

Opened and served immediately. Light yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout with fine, steady beading. Nose of yellow apples, pears and a bit of lemon zest. Flavors of yellow apples, pears and a bit of lemon on the medium finish. Bright acidity, medium to full body. Drink or hold. Pretty consistent with previous bottles but a tad fuller on the palate this time. (91 pts.)

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
This wine delivers so much for the money, and I have enjoyed it a great deal each time.

posted Hide Post
Decided to open this also last night, and glad we did.

This bottle was smoking. Cool

If you enjoy Pinot (66%) based Champagne, seek this producer out. While this is a very new Champagne, (1961) the family was selling their Grand Cru fruit to several of the major House's for generations.

So much wine for the money, and delivers what I enjoy when I'm in the mood for a Pinot based Champagne.

Great stuff, and will be seeking out more today. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't forget you still have 2 bottles in my cellar.

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:

Don't forget you still have 2 bottles in my cellar.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm wanting to add 6 more, and soon.

posted Hide Post
Better hurry. Starting to look like this week might be the last shipping week of the season until Fall.

Joe
-----