WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    '99 Ch. Quinault L'Enclos (St.-Emilion)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'99 Ch. Quinault L'Enclos (St.-Emilion)
 Login/Join 
posted
1999 Chateau Quinault L'Enclos, St.-Emilion Grand Cru -- unyielding dark purple, almost black, in colour, but giving off some nice aromatics of berries, cotton candy, vanilla, and charcoal smoke after 30 min. in decanter; completely mouth-filling, seems fairly heavy (though a reasonable 13.5% alc) but quite velvety, loaded with rich, ripe blueberry and dark plum flavours; we almost didn't notice the everpresent tannins under the weight of all that fruit on the long finish. A great accompaniment to rare tenderloin, and obviously a wine with a long future. About 91-92 pts. today. Really delicious, and easy to drink too quickly.

Cheers!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should I buy at $45/btl?

Posts: 484 | Location: Huntington Beach, CA | Registered: Feb 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I didn't see your inquiry before-- we were in Europe all of July, and I never looked back at this note after we returned.

I'm guessing it's much too late now, but my answer would be "Yes" at your stated price. It's C$125 here, and I actually seriously considered another bottle at THAT price. Mad

Cheers!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy this wine earlier this year. Please see my note here.

DP Wink

Posts: 547 | Location: OH | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And "Yes", I would buy at $45.

DP Wink

Posts: 547 | Location: OH | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1999 Château Quinault L'Enclos - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (12/24/2012)
    Opened and decanted for sediment about an hour before serving. Not much sediment. A little bricking.

This is drinking beautifully. Red fruit, a little bit ripe, but not overly so. Some oak remains, stronger on the nose, but well-integrated when drinking. Some earthy mushroomy flavors and a bit of black pepper. Nice complexity. Tannins fully integrated. Well balanced. Soft finish hangs on for quite awhile.

Posted from CellarTracker

This was really nice. I picked up a 2000 Quinault and took it to an offline earlier this year. I was disappointed I couldn't get more of it after the offline. TCWC has some now so I picked up a few more. They also had the '99 and '01 so decided to try one of each of those. I'll probably get more of this. In a really nice place right now.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post