WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2010 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
 Login/Join 
posted
2010 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/19/2013)
Dinner with Friends (Oswego): Decanted upon our arrival, about three hours before being poured with dinner, and followed over four+ hours. Deep inky crimson color. Aromas of dark fruit, cherry, garrigue and something wild, feral. Very engaging. Full-bodied, with dark fruit, saddle elather, garrigue, berries and again, a bit of a wild streak too. Long, balanced finish. 93-95 pts. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1565 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good stuff! How did you find the tannin, acid, and alcohol levels?

Posts: 1848 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found everything nicely balanced overall. It is definitely too young now, but I bought & opened this bottle to see if I want to grab some for the cellar- which I will.

Of the components you asked about, I am least sensitive to acid- it's not something that usually bothers me or stands out necessarily. Domino is more sensitive to acid levels, and I don't recall her or our friends mentioning acid or anything else as being out of balance with this wine. I think we pretty much all felt this was a terrific bottle of wine.

I think about a third of the bottle was left, which our friends kept. I'll see them tonight again (Saturday group's annual Champagne event), and ask them how it was over the following days.

Posts: 1565 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be cellared for 20 years ? Looking for some alternative to Bordeaux for the YOB of my twins...

Posts: 815 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply, AR. Curious to hear what your friends thought of it over the following days. Smile

Posts: 1848 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dzitt, I would imagine that it should go twenty, sure, and no doubt about it in large format.

Brashley, I asked, and he hadn't gotten back to it yet instead working through the older wines that we hadn't finished. It's in the cellar under vacuvin, and he'll report back once he revisits it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
dzitt, I would imagine that it should go twenty, sure, and no doubt about it in large format.

Thanks Smile

Posts: 815 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My finger is on the trigger to pick up a magnum of this. Similar to dzitt, it's birth year for my daughter. Even though I've already grabbed a handful of CdP and Bordeaux from 2010, I appreciate the notes and it may push me to buy.

Posts: 3085 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
My finger is on the trigger to pick up a magnum of this. Similar to dzitt, it's birth year for my daughter. Even though I've already grabbed a handful of CdP and Bordeaux from 2010, I appreciate the notes and it may push me to buy.

As a wise man once told me, "I've never regretted buying a wine, but I have regretted not buying when I had the chance, or not buying enough." Pull the trigger...provenance will only get worse from this point on, and the price probably won't be going down, especially after bottle scores come out.

The local Pegau distributor is Glunz, via Hand Picked Selections. The local rep happens to be a friend of ours (and not that it matters, but a Spartan too). we purchase from him indirectly once in a while, cleared through a local restaurant (15% surcharge at the place locally). The surcharge often makes pricing higher than other places, but he may have formats not available anywhere else (3L or larger) and provenance is as good as it can get. If you have a local restaurant that has a Glunz account and won't ding you, pricing could be competitive. If you like, I'd be happy to check with him and see what he has access to.

On a separate note, I have four mags of 2010 Ridge Monte Bello arriving this spring from our futures order. We don't need all four. I'd be happy to let you have one at cost if you like. No need to respond right away- the wines are due in March, so take your time & mull it over. Feel free to shoot me an email- you should have my addy from the football league- carnivorous habits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllRed,

posted Hide Post
quote:
The local Pegau distributor is Glunz, via Hand Picked Selections. The local rep happens to be a friend of ours

Is that Joe? If so, I saw him at the UGC last week. Should have asked him about this.

VM

Posts: 12168 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Is that Joe? If so, I saw him at the UGC last week. Should have asked him about this.

VM

It is. He had the big Glunz tasting Monday. Would have liked to have gone, but had jury duty. Mad

posted Hide Post
quote:
not that it matters, but a Spartan too

Of course it matters! Wink

E-mail sent.

Posts: 3085 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three of these coming. Thanks for the notes. Parker gave it 97-99 pts.

Posts: 9380 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Parker gave it 97-99 pts.

Well, nobody's perfect. I'm sure he'll get it right eventually. Wink

I have found more than a few examples where my palate and Parker's do not necessarily align, especially in terms of scores. For example, at our recent 2010 tasting, I doled out scores of 91-94 and I enjoyed the wines very much, but Parker's scores on the wines were a bit higher, say 93/94-96/97 (from memory, I don't have the scores in front of me).

posted Hide Post
dzitt - Parker says that it "should age for three decades or more .."

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSWino:
dzitt - Parker says that it "should age for three decades or more .."

Thanks ! Will try to buy some at arrival here...

posted Hide Post
Hi Dzitt,

Congratulations on the 2010 twins. I have 2004 triplets and stocked up on a ton of birth year wines.

Here in Ontario, the distbutor for Pegau was offering the 2010 in magnum, 3L, 6L and even 12L formats. Would be happy to share. If interested, shoot me an email address where we can connect.

Posts: 34 | Location: toronto | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towineguy:
Hi Dzitt,

Congratulations on the 2010 twins. I have 2004 triplets and stocked up on a ton of birth year wines.

Here in Ontario, the distbutor for Pegau was offering the 2010 in magnum, 3L, 6L and even 12L formats. Would be happy to share. If interested, shoot me an email address where we can connect.

Here's one: aliendrill at hotmail dot com...

Thanks !

posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, Flickinger has about 20 mags of this on prearrival at $150.00, due this spring. A very nice price for this wine in this format, from a top notch outfit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
For anyone interested, Flickinger has about 20 mags of this on prearrival at $150.00, due this spring. A very nice price for this wine in this format, from a top notch outfit.

Thanks... Any experience with buying they "pre arrivals"? I see they have some 03 and 04 as "pre arrival", that worries me.

Posts: 4806 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
Any experience with buying they "pre arrivals"? I see they have some 03 and 04 as "pre arrival", that worries me.

Yes, I've bought quite a bit from them as prearrival, not once has there been an issue. Tom and his group are a first class operation in my book, and many others' as well. They have earned their good reputation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
Any experience with buying they "pre arrivals"? I see they have some 03 and 04 as "pre arrival", that worries me.

Yes, I've bought quite a bit from them as prearrival, not once has there been an issue. Tom and his group are a first class operation in my book, and many others' as well. They have earned their good reputation.

Agree big time. I grabbed one of those mags awhile back from them and would buy with no hesitation. I've never had any problems (not even a slight hiccup) with them and am actually going to pick up some BdM I bought pre-arrival from them this weekend.

posted Hide Post
A beautiful Pegau. Typical notes of brooding dark fruit, tobacco, dark cherries, leather, black licorice and cedar notes. The palate is restrained given its youth but very balanced and harmonious between the fine tannins and acidity. This has the stuffing to go many years. Long long black fruit and cedar finish. Pegau in 2010 is really quite something. Best since the 2005 for me and probably will be better, IMHO. 93-95 for now.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6545 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great notes! This was really hard to find in Edmonton this vintage but I managed to snag two bottles.

Interestingly, the 2011 which received a decent rating, is half the price here and widely available.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1367 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
A beautiful Pegau. Typical notes of brooding dark fruit, tobacco, dark cherries, leather, black licorice and cedar notes. The palate is restrained given its youth but very balanced and harmonious between the fine tannins and acidity. This has the stuffing to go many years. Long long black fruit and cedar finish. Pegau in 2010 is really quite something. Best since the 2005 for me and probably will be better, IMHO. 93-95 for now.

Now the question, is it worth 100$ ?