WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2000 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Campolongo di Torbe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2000 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Campolongo di Torbe
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2000 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Campolongo di Torbe - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (10/18/2006)
    Masi tasting with Dr. Sandro Boscaini (The National Club, Toronto): Medium-dark ruby colour. Aromas of vanilla, cocoa, peach, lilac, candied orange rind, and almost some grape bubble-gum hints. Medium-full bodied, with raisins, prunes, morello cherries, almond, walnuts, and cream. Moderate finish, 30-35s, with raisins, nuts, cherry, and cocoa. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: futronic,

Posts: 10949 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Campolongo di Torbe - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (9/8/2010)

I opened this bottle with some friends who visited us last weekend. We took a trip to Italy with them back in 2000 and visited Masi so I felt this was appropriate. This wine normally sells for $100+ but I found a few on sale for $30 about a year ago. It is the most elegant of Masi's 4 Amarone. This wine won a Tre Bicchieri award in 2006. This was the first of my 4 bottles that I opened.

Dark purplish red color. A rich, modern full bodied wine. This had a sweet character to it. Notes of fig, prune and sweet dried cherries. Didn't last long with the ribeye steaks that we cooked on the grill. This was on par with the 1996 Campolongo di Torbe that I've had a couple times. 93 points.

VM

Posts: 12361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Campolongo di Torbe - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (1/27/2013)

3rd time I have had this and it was as good as ever. I decanted this for 4 hours before dinner and paired it with osso bucco which Otis made. Great pairing. Dark purple. Only lightly sedimented. 16% alcohol but not hot on the palate. Similar notes as before. Fig, prune, raisins with a sweet, almost port like character. 93 points.

VM

Posts: 12361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post