WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dom Galévan CdR Paroles de Femme is quite impressive quality for only $13.50 @ LCBO.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
2010 Grand Veneur CdR Reserve and Champauvins are both very nice QPRs.

i have really enjoyed the past 3 vintages of the Champauvins (especially considering QPR). i would add that is is a little New World in profile, at least to my palate.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
2010 Grand Veneur CdR Reserve and Champauvins are both very nice QPRs.

i have really enjoyed the past 3 vintages of the Champauvins (especially considering QPR). i would add that is is a little New World in profile, at least to my palate.

I had the '10 Champauvins last night off a restaurant list. It was very rich without being overripe. And I could see how it could be considered a little New World in profile, or at least that it didn't seem overtly rhonish. A nice wine though.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3461 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The St. Cosme "Les Deux Albion" is pretty tight, even several hours after splash decanting. It started showing well at 3 1/2 hours. Seemed promising but hard to evaluate. A definite hold for me.

I'm drinking this wine tonight. It's showing pretty well IMO. I like the dried herb notes that play against the bright berry fruit. I wonder if St. Cosme ever has a mis-step?

Posts: 5393 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it was the 7 months or bottle variation.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It certainly might be able to use a little more time. A slight bit more fruit was showing on the second night. I kind of like the tannic grip on younger CdR's though, so this may just be a preference thing. I should probably hide some of these at a friends house a couple of years to see how they change.

Having the 2010 Charvin Le Poutet tonight. Pretty decent, but nothing special at this point. There should be some left for tomorrow, so we'll see. Somewhat light-medium mouthfeel, blackberries, tar, spice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: billhike,

Posts: 5393 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineTrooper:
Has anyone had the 2010 delas st. Esprit? I had a couple cases of the 2007 and what a qpr!

I popped one tonight, it's pretty good! Very dry style with definite tannic backbone. Aromas show a lot of complexity alternating herbal, berry & smoky/meaty notes. Not enough length or intensity to merit an outstanding score, but I'd give this around 87-88.

Posts: 2487 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 St. Cosme Deux Albion. Flirty, silky red fruited entry. Tightened up after an hour. Really nice. 90-91.

More charming than the Andezon. I'd suggest firing it open and pouring it around or let it breathe for 4 hours as suggested by Board-O. Or mid-term cellar it for 2-3 years. I'll buy this again.

According to WS, this was the 9th or 10th best bottling in 2010 by St. Cosme. All under $100. They have this in the low 90s. Tasted blind, with more stacked up in support right below it. Perhaps an accident or maybe Mr. Molesworth's style. I don't know, but tasting this... I'm impressed.

Posts: 124 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Perrin Family, CdR Villages, Cairanne, Peyre Blanche

Hard to beat this one for less than $20 around here. The grenache dominates this easy to drink CdR. Cellaring not required. I'll give it a 90.

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Perrin Vinsobres. Opened 20 hours. Maroon color. Graphite and cassis aromas. Firm entry. Blue fruit runs along an iron spine with a shot of sambuca on the finish. This was pretty solid and I expect it will soften a little bit in a couple of years and have more generosity. This was wound up. 88

Posts: 124 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found these CdR's to be good wines and strong values.

2010 Domaine les Grands Bois Côtes du Rhône Villages Cuvée Philippine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages (6/21/2013)
A little lighter bodied and textured than most other 2010 CdR's I have had and veers more towards red fruit. Good balance from the medium acidity level and finishes nicely with a touch of earth, spice, and pepper. Strong value at the $14 I got this for. (89 pts.)

2010 Domaine de la Janasse Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Réserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (6/8/2013)
PnP. Lighter than expected (light to medium body) red fruit with medium acidity with a bit of glycerin and an odd sour finish initially (my friend got the same thing). With some more air time and when paired with food, the sourness mostly went away and I got some black pepper on the finish. Would have scored a 90+ without the finish issue, but maybe was an isolated case. (89 pts.)

2010 Domaine André Brunel Côtes du Rhône Villages Cuvée Sabrine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages (5/3/2013)
Medium body and acidity with blackberry and black cherry fruit. Has notes of tar and pepper, with some glycerin on the finish. Nicely balanced and round that makes for an excellent QPR and a very food friendly wine that pairs well with many foods. (89 pts.)

Posts: 3042 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having the Brunel Cotes du Rhone now. It's on sale at Binny's for $8 and is a nice pour.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3461 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a 2010 Chateau Montfaucan "Baron Louis" this weekend. Very very nice and open for business. 90 points

Posts: 1633 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Clos du Mont Olivet Font de Blanche Cotes du Rhone at work and for $9 wholesale was an easy buy.

Posts: 9396 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far every bottle of the Andezon I have had has been just fine.

If you can still find it the Plan de Dieu Ch. Saint Jean is a damn good QPR.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts/notes on the 2010 Guigal Cotes du Rhone?

Binny's has MAGS for $28, might pick one up.

www.mywinelist.net

Posts: 198 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Nov 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuq_2001:

I think I would pick up two .750's for $11 each.

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

$8.99 at Costco!

Just had some 2010 Chateau de Garrigue CdR. There was some garrigue in there... 88 points. Did the job with Chicken Provencale.

Posts: 1536 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

$8.99 at Costco!

Well, make that 3 bottles in lieu of one magnum. Wink

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow the cheapest I can get the 2010 E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone is $10 a bottle at work. Nice wine and only got better after being open a few days. $8.99 is a crazy price. But then the produce millions of bottles.

Posts: 9396 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Wow the cheapest I can get the 2010 E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone is $10 a bottle at work. Nice wine and only got better after being open a few days. $8.99 is a crazy price. But then the produce millions of bottles.

I saw this wine at a CVS of all places today for $6.99, but did not stop to check out the vintage. Eek

It is $11.99 here before a 20% discount.

posted Hide Post
I had the 2010 a month ago and it's very solid. I liked it better than the 2009 or the 2007. Ripe and clean but also light peppery and earthy character. it's an easy buy at that price.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 687 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a couple of 375's of the 2010 Famille Perrin CdR Reserve. Very typical of a more fruity-style CdR. Grapey nose with crushed raspberries and strawberries. Light-medium bodied, good acidity balanced with red fruits and some minerality. No funk/barnyard. Kind of a short finish, maybe because I'm not having it with food. Solid QPR, 87. Nice to have some handy in 375's.