WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Yves Cuilleron Vin de Pays Syrah. Not technically a Cotes du Rhone, but perhaps close enough for govt work? Very nice wine. I will add some of this to my cellar.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Domaine de Beaurenard, CdR last night. Love the nose of cherry and nutmeg after a little dust blew off. Not a big wine, going instead for elegance. A balanced, well made wine which I really enjoyed. 90 points.

If they did this well with their regular CdR bottling, I'm sure the Rasteau will be excellent too. It's usually a bigger, brawnier style.

Posts: 9979 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Michel Gassier Cercius a few nights back with pan seared filet and shitakes. The sauce was seasoned with a dash of fresh thyme, and I was hoping for a little garrigue to play around with. No garrigue, but an interesting bottle. VERY dark and rich for CdR. Grenache driven. If I'd tasted this blind, I'd probably have guessed Spain.

PH

Posts: 14937 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had the 2010 delas st. Esprit? I had a couple cases of the 2007 and what a qpr!

Posts: 452 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off topic...
I went CdR hunting recently and picked up the 2009 Janasse CdR . I hadn't seen it before and I love the producer so I bit.

This is a wonderful medium/full bodied CdR, and the tannins aren't rough like many other 2009s. This has great pure fruit and garrigue with a smooth finish and no hard edges. I will probably go back for more (if I get around to it in time). I think it was about $15.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5557 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Olivier Hillaire CdR Vielles Vignes tonight. I don't think I'll be getting more. It's a bit of an odd experience, one taste is great, the next is kinda limp. Lacking a little bit in backbone perhaps. C'est dommage.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2010 Chateau Mont-Redon CdR the other night at a wine bar. No notes, but very enjoyable. Not a big style, more elegant with grenache leading the way.

Posts: 9979 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the Roger Sabon Cotes-du-Rhone at Le Select in Toronto last night.

It was tasty with lots of minerality and earthy spices, fruit tended toward stewed fruit flavors.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Roussillion- excellent wine with bright acidity and rich fruit. Outstanding QPR and worth purchase at 2-3 times the price.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Roussillion- excellent wine with bright acidity and rich fruit. Outstanding QPR and worth purchase at 2-3 times the price.

I bought a case and for the money, it can't be beat

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

There are two of these in the SAQ system here:
2011 Les Vignes de Bila-Haut Cotes du Roussillon Villages ($16.35)
2009 Bila-Haut Occultum Lapidem Cotes du Roussillon Villages ($24.00)

Neither are 2010 vintage here. Is there one, specifically, you gents are referring to and is the 2010?

Posts: 15358 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2010 Domaine Les Aphillanthes, CdR, Vieilles Vignes

Opened this last night. Wow. Nice nose of spice and dark fruit. Full bodied and well balanced. Delicious finish.

A little pricier than most CdR's, but worth the extra imho. I'm going back to pick up some more today.

Just saw this post. I will check this one out.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Neither are 2010 vintage here. Is there one, specifically, you gents are referring to and is the 2010?

2010. The 2009 is probably excellent. I know nothing much about the 2011 vintage so far.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple more recently. The 2010 Domaine Cros de Romet and the 2010 Chateau de Galifay. Both are Villages, Cairanne bottlings. No notes taken, but I liked the latter better. The Romet was hot, which made me look at that label and discover it was 16% alcohol.

posted Hide Post
Tasted a couple at the local wine shop. Fairly good, better than the 2009.

Will be buying a few in next few weeks.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6246 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

wow, i musta grabbed a bad bottle of this. i saw it at a wine shop, thinking it would be another no-brainer CdR purchase. but my bottle was flat and generic. i will grab another based on these two posts. thanks, guys.

Posts: 1003 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Chapoutier Belleruche is an excellent value as well.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Finally had this...wholeheartedly agree. Cruises to 89-90 point territory easy.

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Domaine Chamfort Vacqueyras- excellent and a great QPR at $20. 91-92+

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one AML.
Cheers, VinC

Posts: 1791 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one AML.
Cheers, VinC

Thanks again for picking that one up for me.

Winner

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aphillanthes 2010 Cdr- A charmer with bright cherry fruit and a little earthy character. Ready to drink now and a real pleasure.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5557 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a 2010 St. Cosme CdR yesterday. The wine presented all kinds of interesting characteristics - including sour cherry, citrus, coffee grounds, licorice, and smoke. However, the citrus note was most prevalent. I followed the wine over 3+ hours and it showed no signs of fading. I suspect it has several more years of evolution ahead.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6038 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got my hands on the Mon Coeur:

• 2010 J.L. Chave Sélection Côtes du Rhône Mon Coeur - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/2/2012)
    Mighty tasty. Some barnyard on opening, dissipates after about half an hour. Loads of fruit without being overripe or jammy even. Some structure becomes apparent on the finish. Also some southern rhone spicy flavor and some gravelly minerality.

Posted from CellarTracker

- Milton

posted Hide Post
2010 Grand Veneur CdR Reserve and Champauvins are both very nice QPRs.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post