WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread
 Login/Join 
posted
Following a discussion about some of these on IW's tasting event thread I thought it would be a good idea to help keep track of these in one place.

2010 looks to be a very promising year in the Southern Rhone. Most of the CdR wines are <$20, and many are <$15. IMO they represent excellent value in some pretty tasty wines (I have a soft spot for CdR reds).

Here goes some random tasting notes. To this point I haven't taken formal notes on these, they're just general impressions. As I continue to taste through them I'll be a little better about actual notes. All are 2010.

St Cosme - lovely round wine with plenty of stuffing and lots of length. Very good

Domaine La Garrigue Cuvee Romaine - lasted 4-5 days after opening, refrigerated during that period. Very solid core of fruit. Candied garrigue. Very very good. Probably can last years based on my experience with how long the bottle stayed fresh.

Cercius - vague memories of a pleasurable experience. Will buy more to drink.

Andezon - not that great the first 2 nights, but showed great on the 3rd. Curious and thought provoking. I'll buy more to try again.

So far I'm 4/4 on these wines. My journey through them will continue, I suspect for several months!

Please post your notes and impressions here, we can all keep track.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2010 Les Vins De Vienne, Les Cranilles last weekend. $18 around here and I went back to get some more. 60% grenache, 30% syrah and 10% mourvedre is the blend and the raspberry shines through.

At a lunch a couple of months ago with Philippe Guigal he was raving about the 2010 vintage in the Rhone.

Posts: 10103 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Mourvedre shows up in the final blend of CdR I think it's a good sign, meaning there was time for that slow-ripener to come around and add to the mix with it's earthy spicy characteristics and dark color.

Was lunch with Phil just a regular Tuesday thing for you, big-time?

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger Sabon:

2010 Vin de France Blanc: Grenache Blanc, Clairette, Bourboulenc. A bit rough and simple, but with some rustic charm. Some apple flavors. Fine picnic wine. 86

2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc: Roussanne with a bit of Grenache Blanc, Clairette, Bourboulenc. Fermented and aged in small oak barrels. Some banana and pineapple on the nose. Tart green apple flavors. Needs time to soften. 87-89?

2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Prestige Barrel Sample: This has less Grenache than usual due to cold weather during flowering which affected Grenache more than the other varietals. Some pastry dough and cinnamon on the nose. On the palate, there are loads of rich, smooth dark fruit flavors and baking spices. Very promsing. 93-96+

2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Prestige Barrel Sample from Neutral Oak: Similar to the new oak barrel sample, but simpler. Tastes almost ready. 92+

Domaine des Bernardins:

2010 Rose des Balmes: fruit juice nose, some anise on palate, simple, 82

2010 Les Balmes Cotes-du-Rhone Rouge: some Sherry on the nose from a new bottle, expected better, 83

2010 Dore des Bernardins: dry White Muscat, Gewurtztraminer-like nose, good of this type, 83

2010 L'Esprit Libre: semi-dry White Muscat, muted Musat nose, some anise on the pala, very nice, 88

2010 Muscat Beaume de Venise: 75% White Muscat, 25% Black Muscat, beautiful floral nose, excellent balance, deicious, 93

Domaine La Garrigue:

2010 Blanc: Clairette, Grenache Blanc, muted medicinal nose, unremarkable, 82

2010 Rose: Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault, nose closed, fruity picnic wine, 83

M. Chapoutier:

2010 Crozes-Hermitage La Petite Ruche Blanc: 10.50 Euros, 100% Marsanne, nice floral nose with ripe peach flavors, delicious, one great bargain, 92+

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have never been a fan of the Andezon (in prior vintages) and have had massive bottle variation and too many bad bottles of Domaine La Garrigue to continue buying.

Always enjoy the St. Cosme. Have not had any 2010s yet to my recollection.

Posts: 5962 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
Was lunch with Phil just a regular Tuesday thing for you, big-time?

You liked that little name dropping did you? No, hardly a regular thing. I was a last minute invite to a group of 20. Big Grin

Posts: 10103 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear about the Andezon. A few vintages ago, 2004 I think (I guess that was quite a few vintages ago), they made a spectacular CdR, but I haven't been impressed with any since. Sounds like I should have kept mine one more night.

Slightly out of region: I tried the Pesquie Cotes du Ventoux Cuvee des Terrasses. It was fine but seemed a bit flabby. I did try this over 3 nights and it was unchanged.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea for a thread. I've only tried the St. Cosme so far and enjoyed it. For those that enjoy CDR, you should try some wines from the Languedoc if you haven’t yet. Killer wines for the price.

Posts: 6510 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I've only tried the St. Cosme so far and enjoyed it.

+1

For those that enjoy CDR, you should try some wines from the Languedoc if you haven’t yet. Killer wines for the price.

+1

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6114 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Good idea for a thread. I've only tried the St. Cosme so far and enjoyed it. For those that enjoy CDR, you should try some wines from the Languedoc if you haven’t yet. Killer wines for the price.

I used to be able to find some St Jean de Bebian that was a fantastic wine. It wasn't really a budget wine though.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Perrin's La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Ventoux for a super budget offering. I use it (both the white and red) for cooking, but they are fine for drinking, and the '10 Blanc is a good wine on its own. A little off region again, sorry.

Right now, I'm drinking the Perrin CdR Reserve. It's good, if a little simple. Raspberry and anise on the nose. The palate is more about earthy minerality. Not sure I'd stock up on this, but it's fine.

I guess we're all looking for that knockout wine at $13.99.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
In 07 I loved the Perrin CdR Villages, which was $10 at Costco! I probably drank 2-3 cases of that stuff. I hope it comes around again for 2010 at a similar price.

I like the Vielle Fermes too, although it tends to be on the simpler side. I haven't tried the 2010 version, I guess we'll see how it is.

Go Habs Go

posted Hide Post
Tonight I had the Domaine les Grand Bois Cuvee les Trois Soeurs. It was very nice and I'll probably get more. I didn't get enough in '09 and am kicking myself. The '09 had an intense spiciness that was quite nice. This is spicy too but not as intense. Round fruitiness this year makes it nice.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
I finished a bottle of Domaine des Grands Bois Cuvee Phillipine last night. It was good, but I won't be going back for more. It hit all the right notes in terms of range of smell and flavor but it lacked depth/density in the mouth. Surely it was a good bottle of wine but I'd like more out of the 2010 vintage.

Go Habs Go

posted Hide Post
quote:
When Mourvedre shows up in the final blend of CdR I think it's a good sign, meaning there was time for that slow-ripener to come around and add to the mix with it's earthy spicy characteristics and dark color.

You sure about this? Maybe it was under ripe and rather than putting into their CdP, they dump into the CdR?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cercius - vague memories of a pleasurable experience. Will buy more to drink.
And for only $14, this is a no brainer QPR...

Posts: 886 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Cercius - Garnet color. Restrained nose of wild berries. Smooth. Tart berries, mineral medley and a lingering iron-tinged finish. Lively acidity. Lacks the depth to be outstanding. Impressive QPR at $13. I would buy this again. 88

Board-O, nice to see your favorable impression of the Sabon CdP Prestige. I recently ordered 4 on pre-arrival from Flickinger at $48. You know it's a probably a good deal when it's $9.00 lower than the price from Premier Cru. Wine Searcher now lists another seller offering it at $50.

Posts: 130 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting about all the positive comments on the St. Cosme. It's the only 2010 CdR I've tried at this point, and it was awful. I actually gave it 78 points. Perhaps I had an off bottle.

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

You sure about this? Maybe it was under ripe and rather than putting into their CdP, they dump into the CdR?

Possible, but you are quite the conspiracy theorist, aren't you?

Not much Mourvedre is grown relative to Grenache and Syrah. My understanding is that in the best growing seasons Mourvedre plays a bigger role in the final blends. I'm not sure what they do with it in the bad seasons, maybe it does make it into some of the lesser wines, but I'd expect those wines to have pretty green profiles in that case.

Go Habs Go

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not much Mourvedre is grown relative to Grenache and Syrah. My understanding is that in the best growing seasons Mourvedre plays a bigger role in the final blends. I'm not sure what they do with it in the bad seasons, maybe it does make it into some of the lesser wines, but I'd expect those wines to have pretty green profiles in that case.

There should be a Simpson's episode where Homer becomes a wine connoisseur. "Mmmmm, mourvedre."

- Milton

posted Hide Post
I'll have to look for some of these for Summer drinking.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a bottle of the Cercius (Michel Gassier) the other night. No formal notes but solid wine. I didn't love it as much as Parker (or whoever reviewed it for WA). I thought it was about a B+ and a decent QPR at $14. I remember it being balanced and having good acidity.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

While I personally don't look to how the winemaker blends the wine as an indication of overall vintage quality (I leave that to my palate and the professional tasters) I really appreciate when mouvedre shows up in a cheap CdR blend as I feel it adds meatyness complexity, depth, and tannins.

Not drinking any 2010's here yet. Still swimming through the sea of 2007 and 2009s.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 724 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished a bottle of Pesquie Cotes du Ventoux Cuvee les Terrasses. I agree with aphilia that at first it seemed a little flabby, but it grew on me over a period of 3 nights. I enjoyed the bottle quite a bit, I see it as good value at <$15, but I probably won't go hunt down more just yet.

Go Habs Go

posted Hide Post
I had the 2010 Domaine Brusset Côtes du Rhône Laurent Brusset at a tasting last night. It was OK - for the price tag of just over $10, it could certainly be a decent QPR, but not one I would necessarily seek out. Had a bit of greenness to it.

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post