WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2002 Taittinger Comtes Brut Blance de Blancs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 Taittinger Comtes Brut Blance de Blancs
 Login/Join 
posted
I would run and not waste any time to load up on this champagne. The beauty of this young Comtes lies in its weightlessness and how it just floats across the palate like a cloud. The tiny bubbles and the balance, precision, and delicacy of this champagne is also off the charts. Nose of lemon, orange and apple. Its flavor profile is very detailed. Flavors include vanilla cream, white flowers, oranges, tangerines, peaches, bright citrus, nuts, chalk and minerals. The finish was absolutely as good as I've had. Comparing these is hard, the 02 is much better today than the 96 at this age. It's better than the 95 but will it be better than the 96 in 10 years, it will be close. 96 points.

Posts: 1139 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really my favorite Champagne (except for Salon which is price challenged for me) and agree the 02 is awesome.

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomtom:
Really my favorite Champagne (except for Salon which is price challenged for me) and agree the 02 is awesome.

+1

This one is my favorite as well. Have you tried '00? If so, how would you compare the two?

Posts: 1591 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 02 is a pretty big step up from the 00. They are about the same price so I'd get the 02 or 04 for that matter over the 00.

Posts: 1139 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments on this wine as I've already loaded up for the cellar. I agree that it is a step up from the 2000 (a good Comtes but not special). The 02 is similar to the 96 at this point.

Our '96s have been in a funk so we haven't opened any in a long time. Anyone try a '96 lately?

Posts: 1901 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post