WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1996 Albino Barbaresco Brich Ronchi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1996 Albino Barbaresco Brich Ronchi
 Login/Join 
posted
1996 Rocca Albino Barbaresco Brich Ronchi -- gorgeous pure dark crimson color; expansive nose of cherry, violets, licorice; loaded with plum, cherry, tar flavors, all warm and silky, still young with tons of silky tannins; but deep fruit at the end of a long finish. About 92-3 pts.

Cheers!

Posts: 8400 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seaquam,

Good review and summary. This is one of my favorite wines-- the essence of Barbaresco. Are there better? Sure; somewhat... maybe. But Albino Rocca, IMO, always "hits the sweet spot", and at a price that mere mortals can afford. I'd go for the 93pts; but the last time I had this wine it was still very young.

Tom M
Le Cadeau & Aubichon

Posts: 769 | Location: Now PDX; Was MSP | Registered: Dec 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's my last bottle. Luckily cork was extra long and in stellar condition.

A matte ruby color with some opaqueness due to sediment. Dried fruit skins and slight mustiness to nose. Mature, semi-tart cherries and leather notes. Decent balance. Still hanging on and enjoyed over two days.

89 points.

Posts: 429 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Ardeis. You reminded me that I still have 1 bottle left that I've forgotten about for a while. I guess it's time to open it very soon.

Cheers!

Posts: 8400 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post