WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1978 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1978 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage
 Login/Join 
posted
One of the finest Syrah wines I have ever enjoyed.

An incredibly young wine with 20+ years of life ahead. Opaque in color with grilled meat, smoke, bacon, black olive and pepper on the nose. On the palate, massive ripe black fruit, truffles, licorice, charred toast all balanced with a streak of rare roast beef and hints of soy on a very crisp and cleansing finish that left the palate salivating.

Wines like this with such bold richness yet also showing elegance and crispness are differentiators in my opinion.

Shear perfection!

Posts: 30092 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not a bad way to arrive at post number 25,000!

Posts: 5441 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this your bottle or did you have this at a tasting? Either way, I am jealous... sounds delicious and something I would love to try since it's a birth year.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2998 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still bummed about the 82 magnum that Board-O brought to an offline in 2004 in Palm Beach that was an off-bottle

Posts: 5942 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good memory, Jc. I had mags before that dinner and after that showed well, including one at dinner with BHVineyard and Harry-Petersen-Nedry of Chehalem.

w+a, I think the greatest vintage I've had of this wine is the 1979.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36782 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post