WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Bollinger Grande Annee 2002
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bollinger Grande Annee 2002
 Login/Join 
posted
I just managed to obtain 4 regular size bottles, a magnum and a jeroboam of this lovely potential. Me so happy, long time! Cool

Posts: 1643 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But did you taste any of them? Big Grin

This bottle is why I love Heathrow. Three trips this year and 3 bottles of this for approx $70 a bottle.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2214 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of bottles, also, and so would be interested to see a tasting note.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3032 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the WS and WA TN's:

BOLLINGER
Brut Champagne La Grande Année 2002
Score: 94
Release Price: $125
Region: Champagne
Issue: Nov 30, 2011
Designation: Highly Recommended

Ripe, appealing flavors of peach, Gala apple, toast and blood orange mix with a streak of minerality and notes of spice, all set on the fine-grained texture. Fresh and focused, with racy acidity and a long, mouthwatering, nut-tinged finish. Drink now through 2025. 1,000 cases imported. –AN

2002 Bollinger Grande Annee
Bollinger
A Champagne Blend Dry White Sparkling wine from
Champagne, France

Wine Advocate #197
Nov 2011 Antonio Galloni 94pts.

The 2002 Brut La Grande Annee is marvelous. The 2002 is an understated Grande Annee that caresses the palate with layers of effortless, weightless fruit. The mousse is exceptionally fine, which adds to the impression of total elegance. This is a relatively bright, floral Grande Annee with plenty of aromatic lift, inner perfume and no sense of heaviness at all. A rich, creamy finish adds the final note of complexity and pedigree. The 2002 is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay, 71% from Grand Cru villages and 29% from Premier Crus. Disgorged February 2011. Anticipated maturity: 2012-2022.

Bollinger is of course one of the great names in Champagne. The Special Cuvee is typically one of my favorite wines in its price range, but it is the 2004 Rose La Grande Annee that steals the show this year. Bollinger is unique among Champagne houses in that the reserve wines are all bottled in magnum and with natural cork, a huge, labor-intensive effort.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année - France, Champagne (12/8/2011)
Not in the class of the Vilmart but really good. Group's overall wine of the night. Toast, minerals, honey, pine nuts and orange peel. Very balanced Champagne and multiple layered flavors with no hard edges. This should develop over time and improve. Drink now to 2020. (93 points)

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 448 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW, thanks for the note.

This is a wine that should not be missed in her youth. The wine will age well, but showing so well early.

As for Pinot based Champagne as this wine is, give me this wine 10 out of 10 times against any Pinot based Vilmart Champagne.

Vilmart Cuvee Creation is often excellent, but 70%+ Chardonnay.

All this Champagne talk is making me thirsty. Cool

Posts: 29992 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two 750ml bottles were brought here by travelling friends while the others are in Mexico and are being stored there for now. I am opening one tonight for my younger brother's birthday and will post my tasting impressions henceforth.

Posts: 1643 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pretty sure I brought one of these to a peking duck house offline a few years ago. Still have a few in cellar. While it was most enjoyable when we consumed it, I thought it had a heck of life in front of it and therefore my remaining bottles are for long term cellaring.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a bottle of this last night and it is definitely one of my favorite bottles in a long time. With richness beyond belief, it was both fresh and mature. Keeping enough of these around for aging will be a challenge but the larger bottles will help make it possible.

posted Hide Post
Drank this tonight in Paris.....gorgeous bottle but in need of more age....I was 93 its with strong upside

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Bollinger Champagne Brut La Grande Année - France, Champagne (12/29/2012)

Opened by LostVerse. 1st time with the 2002. Notes of strawberries, cherries and brioche. Medium bodied. Lively finish. 92-93 points

VM

Posts: 12162 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to try one of these. One is in the queue now!

Posts: 1893 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tasting notes. I got my wife the James Bond limited edition version for Christmas since she is a big fan. We opened the container, but will be cellaring the bottle for a while.

CJ

Posts: 25 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année - France, Champagne (10/6/2012)
All Five First Growths Tasting (Kevin's (Minneapolis)): Wonderful Champagne with citrus, grapefruit, green apple and lemon. On the palate nice minerality. Medium to long finish and complex. Should drink well for a decade. (94 points)

My friend bought some at $85 a bottle. Great wine for the money!

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 448 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SD-Wineaux generously popped this at midnight on NYE. It showed very well -- at least 92 points. Notes posted in separate thread.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1105 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night's bottle of this was a winner. The others are going into the cellar for some sleep but it showed very well. Winner

Posts: 1893 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post