WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otisabdul:
I did not decant. Popped it and tasted. Huge nose and velvety texture. Tons of dark fruit and noticable oak at first. Decided it did not need decanting, just uncorked for an hour.

This is a muscular, well-proportioned Insignia. Not flamboyant, but deep and resolute. The strong silent type. It reminds of the '91 (one of my favorites) at a similar age and should get better with additional cellaring.

If you own multiple bottles, worth benchmarking now. I'd say VM's 93P rating is spot on at the moment. Could see it reaching 95-96P at its peak.

Cheers,

Otis

Thanks!

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had this bottle decanted at the table about an hour before dinner.

Beautiful opaque black/purple juice was poured with no signs of maturity. Abundant dark fruits with spices dominated, but there were also hints of smokey cedar, or eucalyptus.

This was an excellent bottle of wine that will continue to age well for another 15/20 years, and one of the best bottles of the 1999 Insignia that I've opened. 94/95 points

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no less than 5 threads on this wine. This is the oldest.

1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/17/2009)
WIML92

Tasted October 17, 2009 at an offline.

Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of smoke, plums, florals, currants, raspberries and a bit of dark chocolate. Lovely flavors of plums, berrries, a bit of Bing cherry and a dash of raspberries. Medium acidity, firm tannins and body. Drink now with some air time or continue to hold. (92 pts.)

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13464 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to say this came out on top in a recent WSJ 1999 retrospective...

Thanks for the note.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've opened a lot of 1999 Insignia, most bottles I rated 90/92 points. However, my last bottle was opened in August 2009 and I rated it 94/95 points. It was indeed something very special, and now I'm thinking I've opened too many bottles of the 1999 Insignia-----too early!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad all of mine have been sitting in off-site storage!

Out of sight, out of mind.

Posts: 6442 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I'm glad all of mine have been sitting in off-site storage!

Out of sight, out of mind.

Really, where? Cool

posted Hide Post
I don't remember...

Razz

Posts: 6442 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been fun to follow this wine over the years. It clearly is in the best spot it has ever been in and will last another 10 years.

Posts: 1123 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm soooo glad I've waited on these.....I've been hoping they would be hitting stride for a retirement party in '11. Sounds like that may work out just fine.

Better Red Than Not!

Posts: 202 | Location: LA | Registered: Apr 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/24/2012)

3rd time I have had this. This bottle was a gift from Dr.T. Opened at a Christmas party. Not decanted and moderately sedimented. Drinking beautifully now. Smooth and elegant. Very different than when released. Notes of cedar, herbs and plums. Integrated tannins. Long finish. 95 points.

VM

Posts: 12216 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post