WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    A few great wines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few great wines
 Login/Join 
posted
This has been a good month of hanging out friends, enjoying good food and great vino. Following are some thoughts on bottles that made an impression:

1990 Krug -Singing from the get go with popcorn butter, salty caramel, light rose water. On the palate it was at an inflection point where the youthful exuberance is paired perfectly with mature notes. 96pts

1995 Salon - Juicy acidity matched extremely well with chalky minerality and citrus. Palate has a laser focus with a core of citrus. Drinking so well right now. 95 pts.

1996 Dom Perignon - Apple, lemon curd and other citrus flavors. Long, precise and powerful all the way from start-to-finish. 95pts

1978 La Mission Haut Brion (note borrowed from GlennK)- A great nose a little green/menthol note on the palate that got more pronounced as the night went on, but it didn’t detract much as there was still some nice fruit left. Autumn leaves, cool stones, and luscious fruit. 92pts

1989 paul jaboulet aine hermitage chapelle - Very structured and young right now. After much coxing I got purple flowers, olives wound up in a tannic backbone. 91pts

1991 Guigal La Mouline - On another level WOOOWWWZA. Beautiful nose of black olives, bacon, sweet purple fruits with sooooo much concentration on the palate with ripe sweet fruit, yet it was light on its feet and just danced around the palate all night. Fantastic wine drinking perfectly right now. 100pts

1916 Chateau Margaux - Not just hanging on but a very enjoyable drink all evening. What can I one say but just be in awe of living history. Pts not necessary

1964 Oliver Vougeot - I don't much experience with burgs but how in the world can a 48 year old village wine not just hold up but perform at this level! This wine got stronger with each passing hour. Nose of of spices, straw, sweet core, just tantalizing. Palate has great freshness and vigor leading to a long finish. Just awesome, 97pts

1966 Haut Brion - Muddy nose but in a good way, still had some tannins, cigar tobacco, with some fruit. A good bottle but it was probably in its prime 10 years ago. 88pts

1994 Dominus - the nose explodes from the glass with a structured body, dark red fruit, minty/eucalyptus with very good acidity. long finish with some fat still to be shed. I think this wine's best days are ahead but a damm good drink right now. 95pts

1990 Rayas Fonsalette Cotes du Rhone - of all the great wines I have enjoyed in the past 25 days, this one had me stumped...... a cotes du rhone is at its peak 22 years later, only Rayas. Such a pretty nose of olives, bacon backed up a lively palate which improved even after 4 hours. Rayas is the master 94pts.

Honorable mentions - 97 Insignia, 90 Clos Du Mont Oliver Pappet CdP, 2007 Paul autard cuvée juline, 1994 penfolds bin 707, 1993 penfolds bin 389, 1993 Wynn Michael coonawarre

Posts: 1291 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:

This has been a good month of hanging out friends, enjoying good food and great vino. Following are some thoughts on bottles that made an impression

Mister Gkapoor, having one or two of those in a month makes an impression. Having as many as you did, well, that makes a lifestyle! Smile

I am very envious.

Cheers!

Posts: 8349 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

This has been a good month of hanging out friends, enjoying good food and great vino. Following are some thoughts on bottles that made an impression

Mister Gkapoor, having one or two of those in a month makes an impression. Having as many as you did, well, that makes a lifestyle! Smile

I am very envious.

It has been a great month but believe me it is an abberation not the norm. Now if I the lotto jackpot then.......

Posts: 1291 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A few great wines"

Yeah, just a few... Roll Eyes Bow

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

1990 Rayas Fonsalette Cotes du Rhone - of all the great wines I have enjoyed in the past 25 days, this one had me stumped...... a cotes du rhone is at its peak 22 years later, only Rayas. Such a pretty nose of olives, bacon backed up a lively palate which improved even after 4 hours. Rayas is the master 94pts.

I have had a similar experience with a 20+ year old 1989 Condoulet de Beaucastel. Technically a Cotes du Rhone, but the vines are just over the fence from CdP.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the 1966 Haut Brion fading. I've had it 6-8 times and it's been a truly great wine, but I finished them at least, I think, 15 years ago.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Sorry to hear about the 1966 Haut Brion fading. I've had it 6-8 times and it's been a truly great wine, but I finished them at least, I think, 15 years ago.

Board-O, all four of the guys i shared this bottle with commented that this wine must have been show stopper in its prime. Your comment confirms our suspicion.

BTW I might be heading to NYC for a night in Nov. would like to finally meet u.

posted Hide Post
Let me know when. I hope you're available on a Saturday night.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have had a great month indeed.
That 91 La Mouline was really fantastic, as was the 90 Krug. I didn’t have this 95 Salon with you this time, but I have had it in the past and agree it’s great as well. Ditto for the 94 Dominus.

I’m a little surprised on the 89 La Chapelle. The 2 bottles I have had were awesome and ready to go.

Posts: 6440 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! Very nice, G!

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6058 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very well done Gk. I hope our paths cross sooner rather than later.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5651 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really nice lineup Gkapoor! Nicely done.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you left off the 1964 Domaine Edmond Valey Morey-Saint-Denis from 375ml. I agree on the Olivier but I thought this bottle was only a slight notch below.

Posts: 2171 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Can't believe you left off the 1964 Domaine Edmond Valey Morey-Saint-Denis from 375ml. I agree on the Olivier but I thought this bottle was only a slight notch below.

I could not remember the name but agree with you that it too was a classic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
"A few great wines"

Yeah, just a few... Roll Eyes Bow

+1

I had the '91 La Mouline almost exactly a year ago, and when friends and I got together again this year, we were still talking about it with stars in our eyes! Big Grin 'Glad to see your bottle made such an impression, even among other 'stellar' wines.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the awesome notes. I love these kinds of wine comparisons!

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post