WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1996 Bollinger Vielles Vignes Francaises Blanc de Noirs Brut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1996 Bollinger Vielles Vignes Francaises Blanc de Noirs Brut
 Login/Join 
posted
WOW. This is such a rich and vibrant wine, and offering so much pleasure. As many here know, I prefer finer Champagnes warmer than some, and this beauty rewards greatly allowing the wine to show her best.

I can not imagine any true lover of red Burgundy not falling in love with this special wine. An exotic nose offering red berries, baked buttered pastry, with hints of truffles and spice, all of which transfer over to the palate with solid acidity and lightly charred toast on a finish leaving you wanting more.

The thing I love about this wine is the proper weight and richness while balanced against the active acidity.

Very well done in my opinion, and is still improving. Big Grin

Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
baller

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with my thread?! Wink

I would concurr...I had it last year and it was an impressive Champagne. Stories of the vineyard's overgrown and gnarly character are interesting too. Thanks for the post W+A!

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Drab. I typed a search for 1996 Francaises and found nothing.

Now I know why, as I did not search VVF.

Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries...I'm just poking fun at everyone who gets upset about stuff like that! Wink

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been three years since my post on this wine, and imo time has helped this to become a perfect wine.

I cannot imagine what more one could expect from a wine. Winner

posted Hide Post
W+A
Is the production of this Bollinger tiny? Thanks for the TN.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
W+A

IW

Does 2,600 bottles count as tiny? Wink

PH

Posts: 14934 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks PH. Has anyone had this Champagne from other vintages?

IW

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
W+A

IW

Does 2,600 bottles count as tiny? Wink

PH

IW, very small indeed.

From what I was told on our visit these vines are their only remaining pre-phylloxera vines. With age, they continue to produce less fruit, and since only Pinot vines the weather also plays into their final production numbers.

Seek out this beauty.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Seek out this beauty.

Ha.... I did. None listed for sale in the US per WineSearcher. Average price is $1,400+ for a 750ml in Europe. Yet another wonderful wine I'll probably not be drinking.... Bang

PH

Posts: 14934 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Seek out this beauty.

Ha.... I did. None listed for sale in the US per WineSearcher. Average price is $1,400+ for a 750ml in Europe. Yet another wonderful wine I'll probably not be drinking.... Bang

PH

The guy that found me three is looking for more. They are available, but typically just held back from the general public.

I will let you know, and they are far less than what you are seeing.

posted Hide Post
Once you get the info W+A please share. I am also going to call my distributor who handles Bollinger.

ITB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you get the info W+A please share. I am also going to call my distributor who handles Bollinger.

+2. I've had a VVF once before and it was well... I'm having to swallow all the drool in my mouth. I do love BdN Champagne!

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also very interested. Keep me posted if you please, gents....

PH

posted Hide Post
Bollinger Brut vieilles vignes françaises Champagne in the SAQ Signature:

1999 $737.50
2002 $795.00

Posts: 15356 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1999 $737.50
2002 $795.00

Oy vey

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5581 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone posted one for sale this morning for $700 on berserkers.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never even seen a bottle of this. And it's not my first Champagne rodeo. Nice!

Posts: 1887 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dearly love Champagne, and truly love BdN. At anywhere near this tariff, I'm a jealous bystander...... Frown I'd much rather have a couple bottles of 1988 Krug. w+a, if you want to make a CRAZY bet on the Thanksgiving game, give me a shout...... Cool

PH