WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: '05 Amisfield Pinot (New Zealand)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: '05 Amisfield Pinot (New Zealand)
 Login/Join 
posted
Very reticent nose upon opening. After one hour of air....Deep ruby in color. Notes of black cassis, mushroom, dark spice, anise seed, dried red rose, wet stone and cherry cola. Consistent from nose to palate to finish. Moderate/long finish, and ample tannin for short term aging. A solid performance, but no "wow" factor for me. 91 pts.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. I bought a bottle, based on the 93 WS rating, in order to try. I was not 'wowed' either. It is a good solid wine; however, for the money, there are others that I enjoy more.

Posts: 1586 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i bought 4 bottles @ $28.
thanks for the note !
will be my first NZ PN !
Cool

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
will be my first NZ PN !

It was mine too, and I still can't say I understand all the hype with this new region...

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
open my first bottle,

very deep in color, allmost like there may be an nother type of grape in it!
a med pinot nose
but what getting me is the tart finish to this long an mouth puckering !!!

will see as it gets more air!
Cool

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two bottles over the weekend. I was happy with the wine. It almost had a Zin like quality to it - a little spice. I would drink it again.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2005 Amisfield Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (12/14/2007)
    Ripe cherry in color, popped and poured. Allowed to open in the glass. Balanced aromas of rasberrie and cherrie cola. Some light spice with a hint of leather. Light mouthfeel, with the cherries and cola coming through on a medium length finish. My first NZ Pinot Noir. Enjoyable, but lacks in any hint of an 'X' factor. Balanced, paired with rotisserie chicken. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 15645 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2005 Amisfield Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (3/31/2009)
    Ruby red in color, popped and poured. Allowed to open in glass over one hour or so. Aromas of rasberrie, red berries and light spices. Medium bodied in the mouth with the with the cherry coming through. Medium length finish. Paired with wild Alasken Salmon and matched well. A pleasent PN. Time in the bottle has served this wine well. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Still lacks the 'x' factor.

Posts: 15645 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty, high toned nose of cranberry, orange rind, pink grapefruit, pickled ginger, and pomegranate; very new world nose but really complex and elegant. Delicate and feminine but carries beautiful weight underpinned by a savoury bacon fat component; bright, refreshing acidity; extra juicy on the finish. Not the style I seek out, but really good stuff on this particular occasion. 91-92 points.

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark cherry & floral elements on nose, ripeness of fruit contributing to a liqueur-like feel on palate; leading to chewy, complex finish that's very well-made but focusing on ripe, New World elements. 91 pts.

Posts: 2505 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post