WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2008 SQN "The Duel" Grenache
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 SQN "The Duel" Grenache
 Login/Join 
posted
In my humble opinion, SQN produces some of the best -if not the best- Grenache and Syrah based wines in the new world. And, they can easily duke it out with the best of the Rhone valley.

Yes, you must love big, fruit forward wines with high alcohol content (15.8% on this wine). But, you get rewarded by a balanced wine with several layers tastes and textures.

Enough of the waxing eloquent . . . this is my first posting on this portion of the forums, so excuse any missteps . . . here goes with the tasting notes:

COLOR: Deep Dark Purple
TASTE PROFILE: Stong tobacco notes. Deep dark ripe cherry undertones and some sense of spice in the background. I can't quite put my finger on the spice-notes and actually went to my spice cabinet to see if I could find an equivalent . . . coriander is the closest I have come, but the spice notes are more in the direction of middle-eastern spices. Again, I'm not great with the spice match here, so take that with a grain of salt

Posts: 2056 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popcorn

Posts: 5368 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about cardamom?

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1275 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
How about cardamom?

I just smelled some a fresh-crushed pod of cardamom, and Yes, that is perhaps closer to my original coriander comment. Regardless of the exact spice, there is a nice spice note and this wine is fantastic!

Posts: 2056 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love reading tasting notes. I hope I did not seem argumentative!

Cheers!

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1275 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice notes, Parcival. I had no idea what "Cardamom" was until now. You learn something new everyday!

Posts: 1418 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
I love reading tasting notes. I hope I did not seem argumentative!

Cheers!

Did not take it as argumentative at all. I was struggling to find the right description and your suggestion sent me in search of another good spice direction. Saving the last glass for tomorrow to see what else develops.

Have a great weekend!

posted Hide Post
I think his Granache-based wines are brilliant. Can't wait to try this one.

Posts: 1565 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post