WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2000 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2000 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted
From 1/2 bottle. Decanted 3 hours. More primary than the '98. Aromas of kirsch, black plums, and alcohol. Moderium-full bodied with black fruit. Moderate finish, ~30-35s. 90 points (10/01/2004).

Posts: 10686 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My notes are pretty fuzzy (my handwriting was going downhill that evening after all the wine)
I just scored it a 89+

Posts: 1486 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Feb 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a stray half bottle of this at my local Vintages which I had purchased on a previous occassion (a year and a half ago) for $33CAN. When I got to the cash they rang it up at $43CAN; I put it back.

Posts: 257 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screwtop, the $43 price can't be right. I'm almost positive I bought my halves at $34CAD.

I just checked the LCBO website and it looks like these will be the prices for 2001 Beaucastel (even though the computer shows 2000):

375mL - $43.95CAD
750mL - $84.95CAD
1.5L - $165.00CAD
3.0L - $399.95CAD

Those prices suck ... especially for the 3L. Constant premiums for large formats I guess.

I could have sworn seeing steve8 buying the 750mLs in Montreal for $75.

Posts: 10686 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I wasn't going to argue with the guy at the till. He scanned it and it came up $43. I remembered, as you did that I had purchased it previously for around $34. The new 2001 price may already be in the system and this is what might have been called up. Regardless, it was too rich for my blood.

Posts: 257 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Beaucastel is going to highly sought after and the LCBO generally uses the same product code each year.

I would assume they are just setting the pricing for the 2001 as there is very little 2000 in the stores (0 750s and 100-150 375s).

The 2001 Mags I ordered through Classics are $165 (same code as the 2000 BTW), so it makes sense that $44 and $85 are what the 2001 Beaucastel 375ml and 750ml's will be sold for.

$399 for a 3000ml is INSANE BTW!

P.S. Screwtop is correct, I bought all sizes of the 2000 and I originally paid:
$135 for Mags
$65 for 750ml
$34-ish for 375ml

I would expect Beaucastel to keep going up as it really is undervalued in our market.

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They probably have only a handful of double mags, which will be snapped up quickly by Toronto's top restaurants, for later sale at a 200% markup to Hollywood stars in town making movies...

FYI, Decanter magazine rated only 4 2001 chateauneufs du pape 5 out of 5 stars, and Beaucastel wasn't one of them (though Grand Venuer Origines was! Big Grin). And Decanter's rating should be more reliable than most since it is an average of 5-8 tasters.

Not to jinx it of course, but...

Lions rule!

Posts: 10523 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/12/2009)
WIML92?

Tasted September 12, 2009 at an offline.

Dark garnet color in the glass. clear hue throughout. Nose of toast, coffee and red berries. Flavors of red berries and red cherries. Bright acidity, medium tannins, medium body. Drink now with air or continue to hold. (92 pts.)

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13285 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poured a small glass first then decanted for approximately three hours. Deep violet color with no bricking. Initially the nose and palate were very subdued, but three hours of air resulted in significant change. Purple and black fruit on the nose. Medium body with sweet dark plum fruits, spicy herbal (not green) and meaty-game notes. Sweet without being porty. The spiciness is very pronounced on the finish and quite enjoyable. The tannins are still pretty pronounced but they are smooth and polished. Definitely entering it's prime drinking window. Drink now with some air time or hold for the medium term. Outstanding, 93 points.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GA, a little advice please. I have two mags. When should I open the first?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
GA, a little advice please. I have two mags. When should I open the first?
You? Five more years minimum. Others, not so much.

I have four more 750ml and will probably finish them before 2020.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GA, thanks for the notes! I have not popped one since I opened one on release.

Posts: 9274 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was our first wine of the new year. Quite good and a very "clean" 750 (no brett). It tasted like dark chocolate covered cherries in a good way with no sweetness. Gentle tannins. I wish this wasn't the last bottle.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From CT:
11/25/2010 rated 92 points: Nick and Sunnys for Thanksgining, popped and poured. Smooth as silk Dark eggplant to the rim. Dark red fruit and spice on the nose and palate. Perfect balance and structure Most peoples wine of the day. 10 more years or more. (1219 views)

Still have 9 bottles of the original case bought on release.

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top Will Rogers

Posts: 349 | Location: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/10/2012)
    Beautiful, smooth, complex, long finish. Decant for sediment.

Old world funk on the nose on opening, but dissipates quickly, then floral, tobacco, and perhaps plum. Very rich on the palate with more tobacco and plum, also mineral, a sharp spice, and hints of olives.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3346 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/24/2012)
    Singing, soaring even. Decanted for sediment but ready from opening the bottle. Gorgeous floral nose with a bit of tar and hints of smoke. Rich palate with plums, spices, more hints of tar. Long smooth finish. Terrific!

Took this to the local French bistro to have with the cassoulet. Fantastic wine, fantastic pairing.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3346 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this from a 750? I am starting to consider opening one of these. I have .375, .750 and a couple of mags.

I like my Beaucastel with 15+ years generally, but I am basing this mainly on experiences with 1989/1990.

How much longer do you think it will go?

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
Was this from a 750? I am starting to consider opening one of these. I have .375, .750 and a couple of mags.

I like my Beaucastel with 15+ years generally, but I am basing this mainly on experiences with 1989/1990.

How much longer do you think it will go?

OMG, he still exists! Three and a third years between posts! Unless someone got your password and is pretending to be you, of course. How do we know it's really you?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10523 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
  • 2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/24/2012)
    Singing, soaring even. Decanted for sediment but ready from opening the bottle. Gorgeous floral nose with a bit of tar and hints of smoke. Rich palate with plums, spices, more hints of tar. Long smooth finish. Terrific!

Took this to the local French bistro to have with the cassoulet. Fantastic wine, fantastic pairing.

What was your rating? Had one of mine a month ago. Aged well, and with a 1 hr decant [I was in a hurry] Poured and sipped without a pairing. Rated 91+.

Posts: 6130 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

What was your rating? Had one of mine a month ago. Aged well, and with a 1 hr decant [I was in a hurry] Poured and sipped without a pairing. Rated 91+.

Hmmm, I quit assigning numbers some time ago. Wines I want to drink again I would lump into the broad categories of very good, outstanding, and classic. I might consider this classic, if not, very close.

Numerically those categories might align with WS's 85-89, 90-94, and 95-99.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

Hmmm, I quit assigning numbers some time ago. Wines I want to drink again I would lump into the broad categories of very good, outstanding, and classic. I might consider this classic, if not, very close.

Numerically those categories might align with WS's 85-89, 90-94, and 95-99.

Not a bad idea. Cuts the chaff.

Posts: 6130 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post