WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Dinner with xhoser
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner with xhoser
 Login/Join 
posted
This past Monday a bunch of locals got together with xhoser on what may have been his last business trip our way for a while. It's been our pleasure to get to know him over the last year and a half. Dinner was at Topaz Cafe in Burr Ridge. They had us in a private room with a large quare table. This was a nice way to have some privacy and be able to see each other. Here are my notes on the wines generously shared - thanks everyone! I may have missed one or two of them, and I'm guessing we'll see notes from AllRed and Vino Me soon.

2010 Sine Qua Non The Monkey - Honey, lemon and chamomile scents. Full mouthfeel with floral notes similar to a Gewurz. Spice, very long finish. Cream and vanilla notes later as it opened and warmed. I've only tasted a few SQN and this may have been my favorite. 93.

2006 Cuilleron les Chaillets Condrieu - Initially muted nuse with black tea notes that opened up to some gorgeous tropical fruits including mango and pineapple. Great acidity. Citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Medium bodied with a great rich finish. Gets better with air. 93-94.

2008 Wyncroft Boucher Cab Franc - lighter in color, like a Pinot Noir. Sour cherry, dried herb, graphite and chalk nose. Very acidic, just shy of overly so. Tart cherries and spice. One of the more interesting MI reds I've had, mostly because of the complex nose. 87.

2010 Varner Bee Block Chardonnay - Deep gold. Pineapple and cream nose. Full bodied with mango, pineapple, papaya, lemon, caramel and sweet spice. The acidity gives this a great balance between huge fruit and freshness. Delicious right now but has years to go. 93-94.

1996 Chapoutier Cote Rotie La Mordoree - somewhat muted nose of plums with a hint of smoked meat. Plum, spice, black tea. Still plenty of acidity. Medium bodied and better with air. Some thought it was slightly corked early on, but it was just very French. 89.

2001 Charvin CdP Rouge - nose of plum, dark cherry, roasted meat, dried herbs. Bacon and tar creep in there as well. Palate - spicy blackbberry, plum, dried cherry. Medium bodied. Still seems young, but delicious. Nice grip at the end. 92-93 with upside.

2006 Herman Story Liam's Story - think it was a Syrah blend? Dense, dark purple. Huge nose of very ripe blackberry and blueberries. Some bacon notes. Very full bodied and extracted. Straddles the line of ripeness but fun to drink this style once on a while. 90.

2006 Araujo Eisele Cabernet Sauvignon - Dark and inky. Blackberries, menthol, eucalyptis, mint on the nose, but with black fruit and oak dominant. Dark crushed berries and coconut flavors, smooth tannins. Needs a few years to settle down IMO. 91 with possible upside.

2005 Hundred Acre Cabernet Sauvignon - Much more firm and refined than the previous couple of reds. Blackberry, currant and mint nose. Medium-full bodied, nice acidity, smooth tannins, good balance between the grippiness and dark fruits. Should open up with time. 94.

1988 Rieussec Sauternes - the darkest and oldest stickie I've had to date. Nose of marshmallow, cream, orange peel, roasted nuts, honey, sugar cookies. One of the more complex-smelling wines I've enjoyed. Toffee, caramel, baked apple and cinnamon flavors. Thick and rich, still vibrant acidity.

Special thanks to xhoser for reaching out on these boards last June. He is a great guy and responsible for causing many fun offlines to take place monthly since then. Cheers buddy!

Posts: 5516 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered when one of you note takers was going to post the list we drank. Wink

There were a few opened that are not on your list:

2001 Worthy Sophia's Cuvee
2001 Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon Hyde Vineyard
2009 Stefania Syrah Split Rail

Also, I think the Araujo was the 2005, but I could be wrong about that. I also thought the Herman Story was actually a Red Car Syrah Vinyl. Although, that's from memory as I didn't take any notes, so I could be wrong there.

As for the wines, there wasn't a clunker in the bunch (as usual). My favorite red was the Hundred Acre, and white was the Cuilleron Condrieu.

The food at Topaz was very good, but the service was lacking in my opinion. Of course, that could be that we've been spoiled by Vie and some of the other places we've been. The private room was nice though - it let VM scream when he felt the urge.

Don't be a stranger xhoser - you're one of us now as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the dinner. Sad that xhoser will not be coming in as often. Excuse me for getting a little emotional at the end. I know I hugged some of you for longer than is socially acceptable.

White

2010 Sine Qua Non The Monkey - USA, California (11/29/2012)
Opened by Allred. 52% Roussanne, 23% Viognier, 19% Chardonnay, and 5% Marsanne. A full bodied white wine. Notes of creamy pear, smoke and toasted oak. Spicy finish. Was worried that this would be too over the top but did not think it was in that category. 91 points.

2006 Domaine Yves Cuilleron Condrieu Les Chaillets - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (11/29/2012)
Opened by Dan. The best white of the night in my opinion. This had a lot going on. Floral nose. Silky texture. A fine sweetness running throughout the wine. Notes of peaches and honeysuckle. 93-94 points.

2010 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Bee Block - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/29/2012)
Opened by LostVerse. The first Varner wine which I have had. Thought the nose was somewhat muted. Notes of oak and white pepper with some apple. Too heavy for me. 87 points.

Red

2009 Stefania Syrah Split Rail Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/29/2012)
Opened by Allred. Thought this needed more aging to show better. Firm tannins. Rather primary and somewhat acidic at present. Tart fruit notes. 88+ points.

2006 Vinyl Syrah Liam Storey - USA, California (11/29/2012)
Opened by Dan. This had an artificial aroma to it. A big wine with a thick texture. Thought it lacked balance. Long legs with cassis and dark chocolate covered blackberries. 86-87 points.

1996 M. Chapoutier Côte-Rôtie La Mordorée - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (11/29/2012)
Opened by Allred. 2nd time I have had this wine. The last time was in August 2011 (also from Allred) and the wine was beautiful then. This bottle was very different. Strawberry starbursts on the nose but the flavors were very muted and bland. Some herbalness but also a bit of cardboard. Slightly corked.

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/29/2012)
Opened by Dan. Unmistakably old world and Rhone. Drinking well but with plenty of life left in it. Wet earth, black fruit, plum and violet. Smooth finish. Integrated tannins. 92 points.

2001 Worthy Sophia's Cuvée - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/29/2012)
Opened by LostVerse. 3rd time I have had this wine. This is going strong without and is not fading. An earthy wine with notes of licorice and berries. Medium bodied with moderate tannins. It had a little bit of an old world character to it. 90-91 points.

2005 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/29/2012)
Opened by xhoser. A big and brutish California cab but with surprisingly good balance. 15.5% alcohol. Deep purple color. Concentrated fruit. Firm tannins. A hint of alcohol with notes of blackberry, coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Mouthcoating finish. 95-96 points.

2005 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/29/2012)
Opened by Allred. Never had the 2005 before but have had the 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2003 vintages. This wine was right up there with the 1995 and 2003 and with some additional aging could be the best of that group. Still young. A meaty and substantial wine. Notes of vanilla, red currant and cedar. Medium to full bodied. A long and round finish. 93-94+ points.

2001 Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon Hyde Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (11/29/2012)
Opened by J3. I had the 2002 vintage of this wine twice but never the 2001. This vintage was superior to the 2002. Drinking very well. Notes of dark cocoa, mocha and plum. A concentrated texture with solid tannins. 93 points.

Dessert

1988 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (11/29/2012)
Opened by BillHike. 2nd time I have had this with similar notes. Last time was in 2006. Fresh tasting but not as spicy and vibrant as I would like a Sauternes. Notes of orange rind and apricot. 92-92 points.

2003 Chateau VinoMe Vin de Noix The Last Curse - USA, Illinois (11/29/2012)
Took a bottle to an offline with xhoser and some of the CWM. A fortified dessert wine I made using walnuts, vanilla beans and a few other secret ingredients. Tootsie roll color. Mmmmmm. The oily goodness of walnuts. Nobody passed out or went into a coma. This wine got it's name because it was made in July during the 2003 Cubs season, racked in September during their pennant run and bottled in October during the "Bartman" incident. The Cubs will not win a World Series until the last of these bottles are consumed. I think I have 4-5 left.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12319 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the wines, there wasn't a clunker in the bunch (as usual).

Does that include The Last Curse?

VM

Posts: 12319 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see everyone once again. Hopefully xhoser is able to find a few more excuses to get out this way again...or perhaps get some of us out his way for a change.

VM - one quick correction- it was billhike who contributed the very charming Rieussec.

DINNER WITH XHOSER - Topaz Cafe, Burr Ridge (11/26/2012)

• 2010 Sine Qua Non The Monkey - USA, California
    52% Roussanne, 23% Viognier, 19% Chardonnay and 5% Marsanne. Golden color. Aromas of butter, vanilla, apple and toast. Full-bodied, with a rich, oily texture and flavors of pear, apple and new oak with a hint of lemon. Long finish. The Chardonnay really stands out at first. A lemon oil aroma develops w/air. I kept some in my glass for the entire night, and by the end of dinner it was much more expressive and soft and the oak was toned down quite a bit. 92-93 pts. Drink now with a healthy decant or hold for a couple of years. 92-93 pts. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine Yves Cuilleron Condrieu Les Chaillets - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Deep yellow color. Opens with oily honeysuckle and florals, followed by citrus oil and and that terrific "dirty" note that old world Viognier gets. Full-bodied with a rich, oily texture and flavors of lychee, quince, mineral, lemon and pineapple syrup. A nice vein of acidity keeps the wine fresh and lively across the palate. I held some of this to the end of the night as well, and it displayed some terrific tropical fruit qualities along with an abundance of florals. A terrific bottle of wine, thanks Dan! Drink now-2015. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Wyncroft Cabernet Franc Bouchet Wren Song Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore
    Light color. Cherry and lavender notes- very subtle bouquet; pleasant herbal undertone. Nice acidity with cherry and red fruit qualities and a mineral-tinged finish. Thanks for sharing VM- it's always fun trying one of Jim's wines. Doing so always brings back memories of dinner in the vineyard. (87 pts.)
  • 2010 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Bee Block - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Deep color. Aromas of butterscotch, hazelnut, vanilla and apple. Medium- to full-bodied, featuring toasted almond and apple flavors, with an intriguing caramel quality in the finish. Young. Drink 2015+. Thanks m/m tlv. (91 pts.)
  • 1996 M. Chapoutier Côte-Rôtie La Mordorée - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Pale ruby color. Initially quite musty, perhaps even cardboard, is this corked? I set my glass aside for 45 minutes or so. No cardboard or musty qualities. Aromas of meaty red fruit and pepper. Cherry, currant and red berry flavors, with a nice meaty streak and good underlying acidity. Medium+ finish. Not flawed, but not the best example of this wine that I have tasted. 91-92 pts. (91 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Brick red color; cloudy. Aromas of licorice, red fruit- cherry and currants, evergreen, garrigue and candied cherry. Medium-bodied, with red fruit and garrigue flavors, turning to dark fruit as it opens. Good acidity. Long finish. Would be terrific with lamb. Thanks DantheRhoneFan. Drink now-2017. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Worthy Sophia's Cuvée - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Opened by m/m tlv, and drinking very well. Aromas of violets, red and black fruits, plum and cedar. Still has some tannin to integrate; flavors of black currants, violets and cedar with a long finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Red Car Syrah Vinyl - USA, California, Central Coast
    Dark inky crimson color. Notes of road tar, black fruit and pepper. Full-bodied, with firm, sweet tannins and flavors of black fruit and pepper. Long finish, adding an interesting herbal quality. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Aromas of red currants, plum, black fruit and florals. Structured, but very well-balanced. Black fruit, violets and florals on the palate. Long finish; impeccable balance. Elegant. Drink 2017+. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Drank side-by-side with the 2005 Araujo. Aromas of black fruit, vanilla and cassis. Structured, with loads of black fruit. This is more tannic and concentrated than the Araujo, with exuberant fruit- slutty. Flavors of cassis, blackberry liqueur and vanilla. For its size and structure, it is nicely balanced. Drink now-2022. Thanks for sharing xhoser! (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon Hyde Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Inky purple color. Aromas of cassis, chocolate, mocha and creme de menthe. Full-bodied and well-balanced with plenty of fruti for the sructure. Blackberry, cassis, mocha and tar qualities. Finishes with impressive length. Thanks to jcubed for sharing this beauty. Drink now-2021+. (95 pts.)
  • 2009 Stefania Syrah Split Rail Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Deep inky purple color. Young and primary, but what terrific fruit. Black and blue fruit, boysenberry and roasted game aromas, developing tar and herbal notes with time in the glass. Nicely balanced; loads of black and red fruit on the palate. Nice finish. (92 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    From memory. Light golden color. Aromas of apricot, marmalade and stone fruit. Rich texture, with nice tropical fruit and baked apricot flavors. Nice finish. Thank you billhike! 92-93 pts. (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Chateau VinoMe Vin de Noix The Last Curse - USA, Illinois
    Vino Me opened another bottle of this, ahem, wine. Brownish color. Certainly smells just fine- aromas of toffee, caramel and nuts...reminds me a little bit of an Aussie muscat. This bottle did not show well on the palate though- sharp and disjointed, with an odd metallic quality. Hopefully for VM this was just an off bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllRed,

Posts: 1627 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
VM - one quick correction- it was billhike who contributed the very charming Rieussec.

Thanks. I fixed it. Thought that was too many wines from one person to bring. Even for you.

VM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
The Cubs will not win a World Series

You had me at that.
Banana

All in good fun! Smile

Posts: 5516 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
As for the wines, there wasn't a clunker in the bunch (as usual).

Does that include The Last Curse?

VM

Nice get together, some interesting wines for sure.

I think The Last Curse doesn't actually count as wine.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5567 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:

Are you still angry because I wouldn't pay your medical bills the last time you drank it? You did sign the disclaimer.

VM

posted Hide Post
Notes added.

Posts: 1627 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:

Are you still angry because I wouldn't pay your medical bills the last time you drank it? You did sign the disclaimer.

VM

I'm glad you reminded me. I lost most of my memory after the last time I drank The Last Curse.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5567 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post