WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape "La Crau"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape "La Crau"
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiAtty:
Jcocktosten and FKG brought this wine over tonight. We decanted it about 5 minutes (in the bottle Big Grin) over Falafel sandwiches, and assorted cheeses.

This wine had a beautiful ruby color which was starting to brick. Medium to full bodied, it showed red cherry, raspberry, and spices against a smooth tannic backdrop. A midpalate of stewed fruit with minerals eased into a slightly smokey finish. I'll give this '03 a very drinkable 93.

This wine was such a pleasure to drink with such great company.

Good note - was very pleased with this. Much better than the last time I had this bottle about 3 years ago at one of the Bistro Provence offlines. Happy we have 3 more 750s and 1 magnum

Nice note MA. Glad it showed so well as it will be one of your last wines as a bachelor. Wink I'm pretty sure the bottle JC mentioned was mine and it was too early. Made me remember buying VT and and Janasse Chaupin for $30-35 at Wine Warehouse. Alas, those days are gone as CdP has more than doubled in price and Wine Warehouse closed its last S FL location in Ft Lauderdale not too long ago.

Exactly correct. it was definitely your bottle and I think we were sitting next to each other and Miami-Atty was down on the other end. FKG and Iactually had one of these in 2008 according to CT. I think we got this at the Wine Warehouse

Posts: 6121 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/25/2012)
    Decanted 90 minutes before serving. Very good. Beautiful nose of red berries, garrigue spice, and a bit smoky. The palate reminds me of ruby port, but not sweet. Cherry tobacco and earthy minerality. Mouth-watering acidity and long smooth finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3536 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened one of these last night along with an '03 Le Vieux Donjon. Opened about 2 hours prior to drinking with no decant. No formal notes but drinking well. Very nice nose of "dark" red fruit and brown sugar. Possibly a little more advanced than the Donjon, but I think Gigond Ass hit the drinking window squarely on the head, and I'd say it is good for another 2-3 years at least.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2874 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/30/2014)
    BYO decanted at restaurant with notable sediment. Beautiful dark dense purple color. Full bodied dark berries/jam with perfectly integrated tannins appearing at mid-palate. Well balanced fruit forward medium finish. At peak drinking window now with enough structure to last a few more years. Very nice! (92 pts.)

Posts: 1271 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/10/2015)
    This was an awesome bottle. Everything is nicely balanced. Very smooth and very long. Red berry fruit, garrigue, some stony minerality, tangy spice, some anise and some smoky hints. Robust on both the nose and the palate. Decanted about 90 minutes before serving. Great with food AND great by itself.

Served this with the pork tenderloin with peanut sauce and lentils with mushrooms from the old online wine spectator recipe.

This was one of the best bottles of wine I've had in some time.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3536 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note aphilla. I shied away from the '03s, but this makes me wish i had at least squirreled a couple away. A wonderfully drinking VT is always a great treat.

Posts: 3264 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post