WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape "La Crau"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape "La Crau"
 Login/Join 
posted
Lots of references to this wine in other "bulk" tasting threads, but it deserves a thread of it's own.

Popped and poured. Consumed over 2 1/2 hours with grilled beef tenderloin, asparagus, and baked potato.

My last taste of this came in 2006, when it was a huge but disjointed young wine that I thought showed great promise.

This time, it was a mixed experience for me. On first opening, the nose was not all that expressive, but what was there was dominated by pruniness. This is a character that I do not like, but others, including Mr. Parker himself, seem to either love or ignore this trait. The nose evolved over the next two hours, so that it was less pruney, but the hints of stewed fruit never completely went away. With time there were subtle hints of garrigue and Asian spice, but the nose was never all that expressive. The color was light, but still young. Despite the prunes on the nose, the palate was clearly quite different to me. The fruit was more black cherry--no prunes or raisins here. The structure and mouthfeel were absolutely gorgeous. The tannins have smoothed considerably, and this wine has evolved from a big hairy monster to an elegant beauty. Normally the prunes on the nose would just turn me off, but somehow this wine keeps me happy all the way through. It shows great versatility with food. Most importantly, my wife liked it too. Based on the tannins and mouthfeel, it seems to be ready now, but with the relatively muted nose (for a higher-end CdP), it may still be a little closed. Drink or hold. 91-93 points for me.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3135 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes Redhawk. VT is one of my favorite producers. Do you think this pruniness is related to the hot '03 vintage?

Posts: 3170 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Redhawk.

I've got the 04 and 07 VT's waiting.

The only 03 CdP I bought was on a good sale, a half case of Brunel "Les Cailloux." It was a big jammy mess the first time I tried it. I waited until 2009 on the rest, and they were so good that I consumed the last one recently Frown

Just goes to show me that a hot vintage CdP may seem a mess at first, but they can really work out with some time. I won't necessarily ignore the next "hot" vintage of CdP!

Posts: 512 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Thanks for the notes Redhawk. VT is one of my favorite producers. Do you think this pruniness is related to the hot '03 vintage?

I'm afraid it might be. I've tried a couple '03s, and some were pruney, others weren't. To me Beaucastel is almost always pruney, so that wasn't a surprise. Other vintages of VT I've tried have not been overtly pruney. So if I had to guess, I would say it's mostly the hot vintage to blame.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3135 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had that pruney flavor in almost every '03 CDP I've tried. Just a brutal vintage imho. It was after that vintage, that I really began to question whether Parker had anything to offer me as clearly his palate tolerated a ripeness that I found offputting.

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should pick up some other 03's and perform an investigation. Big Grin

Posts: 512 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the note I made from one I opened during the Thanksgiving holiday last year:

Posted from CellarTracker

I suspected I should sit on it still but went ahead and tried one. I've been drinking some other '03 CDPs along the way since I got them. I've liked Autard and Fortia (Baron) all along. I've opened 3 Raymond Usseglios in the last year and they are really singing.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3490 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/20/2011)
Popped and poured. Brilliant ruby color tending towards translucent. On the nose, bright cherry and red fruit tones, some herbal notes, and a hint of smoke. Full bodied. On the palate, bright ripe cherry fruit, fairly concentrated flavors, medium acidity, some pleasant herbal notes (dare I say garriuge), iron, and maduro wrapper. This has significant tannins, but they’re smooth and polished. Medium to long 45+ second finish, initially shows some roasted fruit flavors, followed by mint, dried herbs and an earthy mineral touch.

A fine bottle of CdP, though somewhat atypical due to the ripeness level. This wine carries it well. Just entering its drinking window. Drink or hold. (93 pts.)

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note GA.

I think I will hold for now.

Posts: 30181 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the 03 VT the only bottle I have is one magnum in my cellar. I was thinking about opening it up in the next year or two and waiting alot longer on my 2005. Thanks for the notes!

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/27/2011)
Popped and poured. Medium ruby color tending towards translucent. Slightly reticent nose showing raspberry, plums, and iron earthy tones. Some tobacco and herbs, Medium bodied with roasted plum, blackberry fruit, licorice, and beef blood. Medium length finish, 30+ seconds with very smooth tannic structure.

Reasonably good, but definitely shows the heat from the vintage. Not a classic Vieux Telegraphe in style but enjoyable nonetheless. Drink over the medium term 3-6 years. (92 pts.)

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm taking this to an Off-Line next weekend. I don't typically pop and pour anything red. Was actually planning on decanting this wine 3-4 hours before the OffLine. Any thoughts.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
I'm taking this to an Off-Line next weekend. I don't typically pop and pour anything red. Was actually planning on decanting this wine 3-4 hours before the OffLine. Any thoughts.
Then I would do what you normally do. I think people over decant wines, but apparently you don't fall into that line of thought.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
Gigond Ass;

I was hoping for some comments from people that had decanted the wine to see what the results were. But Thanks!

You are correct though, that I don't typically share your school of thought, in that regard. Just different tastes I guess. Been to quite a few OL's that people brought young, highly tannic wines in, wound up like a generator and popped and poured. Some people like'm some people don't.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
Gigond Ass;

I was hoping for some comments from people that had decanted the wine to see what the results were. But Thanks!

You are correct though, that I don't typically share your school of thought, in that regard. Just different tastes I guess. Been to quite a few OL's that people brought young, highly tannic wines in, wound up like a generator and popped and poured. Some people like'm some people don't.
Fair enough, but I wouldn't describe this particular wine as tasting young and/or tannic. An hour in a decanter wouldn't hurt it.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
Here is my take on this wine. It was decanted a full 5 hours before the tasting. This wine was a total beauty after that time for the tasting. Upon pop and pour, it was still wound up tighter than a drum. I tried it on hour three and not much had changed. Anyone drinking this wine with less than 4-5 hours o decant is doing themselves and the wine an injustice.

GA, your short decant suggestion, was fortunately overlooked!

posted Hide Post
Whatever.... Roll Eyes

You probably decant lesser 2003 Bordeaux for half a day. To each their own. Neither the Telegraphe or the Bordeaux need 5 hours in a decanter.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
GA;

This thread is about the 03 "La Crau", not Bdxs. I happened to taste the wine through its development and believe the wine was far better after five (5) hours of decant than it was anytime earlier. I made that statement because I did the work. The wine got excellent reviews from everyone at the Off-Line. Since you don't believe in longer decants, I doubt that you have any context from which to make any claims on the advantages of a longer versus decant for this wine. So put your rolly eyes in a dark hole and get over yourself!

posted Hide Post
Well, since I've had this twice this year and drank it over several hours both times, I pretty much call BS on that statement.

If you prefer your wines oxidized to that level, no doubt you found it preferable. At the ripeness level of the 03, I found it less enjoyable at the end of the time period I had it open.

Like I said, to each his own. My viewpoint (and experience) with the wine differ from yours substantially.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
I can promise you the wine was not oxidized. It was one of the top 3 wines wines of the night with some heavy hitters.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5022 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
I can promise you the wine was not oxidized. It was one of the top 3 wines wines of the night with some heavy hitters.

IW
As I've clearly said, and apparently I need to say it again, anyone decanting this wine for 5 hours isn't doing the wine any favors.

Since you only had it after a 5 hour decant, I'll assume you are just guessing.

To each his own. I simply disagree.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
I also tried it at hour 2 to 3 and it was remarkably better tasting at the 5 hour mark.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5022 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jcocktosten and FKG brought this wine over tonight. We decanted it about 5 minutes (in the bottle Big Grin) over Falafel sandwiches, and assorted cheeses.

This wine had a beautiful ruby color which was starting to brick. Medium to full bodied, it showed red cherry, raspberry, and spices against a smooth tannic backdrop. A midpalate of stewed fruit with minerals eased into a slightly smokey finish. I'll give this '03 a very drinkable 93.

This wine was such a pleasure to drink with such great company.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiAtty:
Jcocktosten and FKG brought this wine over tonight. We decanted it about 5 minutes (in the bottle Big Grin) over Falafel sandwiches, and assorted cheeses.

This wine had a beautiful ruby color which was starting to brick. Medium to full bodied, it showed red cherry, raspberry, and spices against a smooth tannic backdrop. A midpalate of stewed fruit with minerals eased into a slightly smokey finish. I'll give this '03 a very drinkable 93.

Good note - was very pleased with this. Much better than the last time I had this bottle about 3 years ago at one of the Bistro Provence offlines. Happy we have 3 more 750s and 1 magnum

Posts: 5991 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiAtty:

Good note - was very pleased with this. Much better than the last time I had this bottle about 3 years ago at one of the Bistro Provence offlines. Happy we have 3 more 750s and 1 magnum

Nice note MA. Glad it showed so well as it will be one of your last wines as a bachelor. Wink I'm pretty sure the bottle JC mentioned was mine and it was too early. Made me remember buying VT and and Janasse Chaupin for $30-35 at Wine Warehouse. Alas, those days are gone as CdP has more than doubled in price and Wine Warehouse closed its last S FL location in Ft Lauderdale not too long ago.

Posts: 3089 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post