WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: Il Caberlot vertical – during WWS 2012 (11/10/2012)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: Il Caberlot vertical – during WWS 2012 (11/10/2012)
 Login/Join 
posted
IL CABERLOT VERTICAL – DURING WWS 2012 - Villa D’este, Lake Como (11/10/2012)

Kelly W and I had the pleasure of traveling with Moritz Rogosky, the proprietor of Il Caberlot during our excellent adventure.

http://wineberserkers.com/foru...ilit=moritz#p1012174

Since my knowledge of Il Caberlot is limited to a glowing TN of the 97 by Kelly, I was dying to taste the wines. Moritz poured the 02, 08 and 09 at the main tasting on the first night at Villa D’Este and the nose of the 02 was so different from any other wines I have had that I asked Moritz for a favour to organize a vertical for Kelly and me.

The story of the winery and their wines are nicely sated on the rare wine website.

http://www.rarewineco.com/html/impo/ital/i-carn.htm
Il Caberlot vertical
This is a fascinating and unique wine. The nose displays a lot of Cab France characters, pepper, ash, flower and etc, but a bit more exotic, ie I could only describe as exotic incense and cannabis, and a very little if any green pepper. The palate however is very merlot like with sweet fruits, round, silky and nicely integrated tannins. Although the wines showed excellent concentration and jammy fruits the overall expression is quite cool and precise showing good acidity, minerality and structure.
  • 2002 Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Stated three times at Villa D’Este with consistent notes. Crushed white pepper, clove, exotic incense, cannabis, spicy perfume and ash. Fully matured, silky and airy texture and bright acidity. Drinking beautifully, exotic, expressive and intoxicating. Strangely Psychedelic wine. (95 pts.)
  • 2006 Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    A hint of Loire cab franc but only a slight green note, black pepper, earth, mineral, incense, lavender, blackberry and cassis. Excellent concentration, unctuous yet silky palate and good acidity. Still primary. Although ripe nose and round palate the overall expression is pretty cool. (96 pts.)
  • 2007 Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Perhaps the biggest and the most concentrated of the vertical. Once again big and jammy yet fresh, crème de cassis, crushed blackberries, black fruits in general, limestone and flint. Excellent concentration, unctuous, dense yet round, silky and airy. A great wine with great future. (97 pts.)
  • 2008 Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Rounder and warmer overall expression compare to the 07. Red and black fruits, crushed blackberries, exotic spices, lead pencil, lavender, violet, limestone and earth. Excellent concentration, chewy yet round and silky palate and excellent length. Most opulent and fruit forward amongst the vertical. Need at least five more years and will last for long time. (96 pts.)
  • 2009 Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Ripe yet cool cab franc nose, crèmes de cassis, exotic incense, limestone and earth. Unctuous, sweet palate and noticeable but nicely integrated tannins. Linear, precise and cool. (96 pts.)

Perhaps traveling with Moritz for ten days made me a bit bias but there is no doubt that this is a great wine with the unique varietal characters .

P.S. The winery makes 100 pt olive oil.

Posts: 84 | Location: washington dc | Registered: Feb 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be the altitude and beautiful scenery that compelled you to give such lofty scores.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It must be the altitude and beautiful scenery that compelled you to give such lofty scores.

It could have been but it has gotten glowing reviews by a number of publications.

Posts: 84 | Location: washington dc | Registered: Feb 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

How dare you question the self proclaimed super taster?!

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcwino:
quote:

It could have been but it has gotten glowing reviews by a number of publications.

Glad to hear that you had an excellent adventure, and it does sound excellent. However, I tasted the 2006 back in 2010 and although I thought it was good, it wasn't great, and I preferred the 2006 Saffredi. Others at the tasting shared this assessment. Can't help but think that the high scores may have something to do with the setting and situation, which is understandable.

In fact, I had been looking forward to tasting the Caberlot and was somewhat dissappointed.

The 2005 Bruno Giacosa Falletto Barolo at the same tasting was amazing and surpased expectations. Big Grin

Posts: 1791 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:

How dare you question the self proclaimed super taster?!

I don’t think I have ever claimed that I am a super taster. I recently started a thread on wineberserker where I got 0 out of 10 plus wines during the 03 Bordeaux single blind tasting. What I might have stated is that not all palate sensitivity is equal and some famous critics ability to taste wine is pretty poor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by dcwino:
quote:

Glad to hear that you had an excellent adventure, and it does sound excellent. However, I tasted the 2006 back in 2010 and although I thought it was good, it wasn't great, and I preferred the 2006 Saffredi. Others at the tasting shared this assessment. Can't help but think that the high scores may have something to do with the setting and situation, which is understandable.

In fact, I had been looking forward to tasting the Caberlot and was somewhat dissappointed.

The 2005 Bruno Giacosa Falletto Barolo at the same tasting was amazing and surpased expectations. Big Grin

I tasted the 07 Falletto Riserva and it was flirting with perfection where the Asili riserva was underwhelming. It is interesting to note that there are folks who also love the 06 based on erp responses.