WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2000 Domaine Tempier - Bandol Cuvée Spéciale (France, Provence, Bandol)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2000 Domaine Tempier - Bandol Cuvée Spéciale (France, Provence, Bandol)
 Login/Join 
posted
2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2012)
-- decanted immediately before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over a few hours --

NOSE: wow, this is Provencal heaven! Earthy; smoky; hint of leather; wafts of red fruit, BBQ beef, and cherry; seems to be at a nice moderately-aged stage right now; wonderful cherry/leather/BBQ/bacon mélange.

BODY: dark, rustic garnet color of medium-deep depth; some sediment present; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: lots of acidity and tannin; moderately funky -- leathery; earthy; dark red fruits; hint of mineral; a touch bitter; seems to be quite young yet; 14.5% alc. is well-hidden; this is a burly wine, but is certainly not a modern-style wine; finish is long and of medium to medium-strong intensity. I’m not sure this will ever completely shed its tannin, but I do think a couple more years in the cellar will see some improvement from this wine; if you have only one bottle in your cellar, continue to hold, but if you have more it’s worth checking in on it now.

B: 50, 5, 14, 15, 8 = (92+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1819 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2012)
-- decanted immediately before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over a few hours --

NOSE: wow, this is Provencal heaven! Earthy; smoky; hint of leather; wafts of red fruit, BBQ beef, and cherry; seems to be at a nice moderately-aged stage right now; wonderful cherry/leather/BBQ/bacon mélange.

BODY: dark, rustic garnet color of medium-deep depth; some sediment present; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: lots of acidity and tannin; moderately funky -- leathery; earthy; dark red fruits; hint of mineral; a touch bitter; seems to be quite young yet; 14.5% alc. is well-hidden; this is a burly wine, but is certainly not a modern-style wine; finish is long and of medium to medium-strong intensity. I’m not sure this will ever completely shed its tannin, but I do think a couple more years in the cellar will see some improvement from this wine; if you have only one bottle in your cellar, continue to hold, but if you have more it’s worth checking in on it now.

B: 50, 5, 14, 15, 8 = (92+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I must admit, while I enjoy the wines, there's a huge whiff of VA for me whenever I pop these bottles.

but then I guess it's part of the charm.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10947 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We stopped by Cassis on our tour through Provence and of course we had to stop at Domaine Tempier. Very friendly people! Even allowed us to help at their sorting table which consisted of 30% removing leaves and rotten grapes and 70% eating the grapes that looked tasty.

Loved their wines as well.

Posts: 1222 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
We stopped by Cassis on our tour through Provence

That's a great little town isn't it? We were there on All Saint's weekend and stumbled into a marathon from Marseilles. After the pros zipped by it was a hoot to watch the rest of the runners.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3346 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was gorgeous! I really loved my time in Provence. Really hated my time in Nice (which was echoed throughout the board).

They were having an Ironman tri when we were in Aix in Provence so we got to watch a lot of really fit athletes look really tired at he end. I drooled over a lot of the bikes though as I used to be on Cal's road cycling team. Err... I used to get dropped by Cal's road cycling team.

Posts: 1222 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really hated my time in Nice (which was echoed throughout the board).

IMO, it embodies the worst aspects of France. Go inland 20 miles and you'll find the best! Can't stand the Cote d'Azur.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

IMO, it embodies the worst aspects of France. Go inland 20 miles and you'll find the best! Can't stand the Cote d'Azur.

What is bad about Nice? I ask because some relatives of mine are talking about going there next year, but I don't think they've made arrangements yet --- still time to save them from themselves, I think!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brashley,

Posts: 1819 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boring architecture, rocky beaches, and populated by the glitteratti who want to spend their time with other pompous people. Not much love for America there. Ditto for the whole coast. Certainly there are exceptions, but when you go inland, the people and the country are beautiful.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

What is bad about Nice? I ask because some relatives of mine are talking about going there next year, but I don't think they've made arrangements yet --- still time to save them from themselves, I think!

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there, but Nice is nice. It's kind of a biggish town so it's at its best for biggish town kind of things, like festivals. They have a great carnaval in february. There are lots of festivals throughout the year including a jazz festival in July. I've been tempted to do a south of France music thing in the summer to take in that and the Orange opera festival. (This year they are doing the flying dutchman and the masked ball in Orange).

I wouldn't go for the beaches.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3346 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aphilla & Board-O,

Thank you for your responses. I will pass-along the information to the relatives of mine who are planning to go. It may very well be that they have no idea of the reality of which you both speak. Cheers. Smile