WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1997 Antinori Pian delle Vigne Brunello
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 Antinori Pian delle Vigne Brunello
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am going to have another 1997 Pian delle Vigne one of these days to see if it has woken up yet.

Posts: 499 | Location: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: Feb 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to your notes, Pelochain. I'm going to hold my bottles for a while longer.

Posts: 10686 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only opened one '97 Brunello in the last year (La Palazzetta Riserva), and while it was quite good, it was very apparent that it had much more potential for the future. It may be 2008 before I start opening any more '97s.

Posts: 3020 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Tasted 8/12/'07) Moderate ruby color with the slightest hint of age at the edge. Rather elegant cherry and light licorice notes with a touch of spice on the finish. Aerated in bottle for 2 hours and consumed over the following 4 hours. In retrospect, it may have performed better with more aeration. 93+ for now.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3946 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1997 Pian Delle Vigne (Antinori) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/14/2006)
    Post-Auction Offline (Toba Restaurant, Toronto, Canada): Medium-dark garnet with aromas of sottobosco, cherry, plums, licorice, and spice. Medium-bodied, pretty closed, with cherry, earth, Indian spice, blackberry. Moderate finish, 30-35s. Tight and restrained. Opens up with time. Needs another 2-3 years minimum. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10686 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favourite wines. The last bottle I had was similar to yours, but I think the best years are still ahead.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
One of my favourite wines. The last bottle I had was similar to yours, but I think the best years are still ahead.

This is a great thread for me. I had a bottle about 6 months ago and I definitely agree with "tight and restrained". My inexperience led me to believe that perhaps I had already missed the drinking window and the best days were already behind. I have one bottle left and I'll hold it for a few more years.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
This is a great thread for me.

You and me both. Except I have two bottles left, and will continue to wait... Smile

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened my last bottle of this last night. I didn't take any formal notes, but this is drinking really well now. Floral and plum notes, full bodied and little sign of age. No bricking at all. Drink or hold. Not a 97 pointer imo, but definitely a 94-95.

Posts: 9632 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Opened my last bottle of this last night. I didn't take any formal notes, but this is drinking really well now. Floral and plum notes, full bodied and little sign of age. No bricking at all. Drink or hold. Not a 97 pointer imo, but definitely a 94-95.

I'm 96 points on that.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6497 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post