WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Offline with the Hawaii Wine-O's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offline with the Hawaii Wine-O's
 Login/Join 
posted
We visited former CWM member Haggis in Honolulu last week and he put together an offline at his home for 15 people including some members of the Hawaii Wine-O's. Everyone brought an appetizer and we just mingled in his home overlooking Koko Crater and the Pacific. My wife and I really enjoyed getting together with everyone (some for the 2nd time). Here are my notes (some are very brief and I think there were a few wines I missed):

Whites
  • 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. Petrol and tropical aromas. A little spritz which gave the wine a lightness. Not as sweet as I remember. Notes of creamy pear, honey and mango. Drank the last glass the next day and it was showing just as well. 95 points.

• 1990 J. C. Pichot Vouvray Moelleux Domaine Le Peu de la Moriette - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (11/10/2012)
    No formal notes. Drank in Honolulu. Disappointing. 84 points

Reds
  • 2000 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. 2nd time I have had this wine. Last time was in 2003 and it was better than before. Lead pencil shaving aromas. Mocha, berry and cedar notes. Solid tannins. Smooth and long finish. Starting to really come into it's own. 93-94 points.

• 2000 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline by Haggis. From 375ml. Full bodied. Rich texture with excellent balance. Notes of plum, cedar and berries. Old world in style. Very nice effort by this estate in a difficult vintage. 94 points

• 1996 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline by Haggis from 375ml. Corked. Muted. No score. Flawed.

• 2004 Ovid Experiment E0.4 - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. Full bodied. Higher alcohol. Heavy almost syrupy texture. Blackberry, cocoa and currant notes. Definitely made in a new world style to impress critics and those looking for wines that scream for attention. I thought it lacked balance to reach the outstanding territory. 89 points.

• 2004 Sheridan Vineyard L'orage - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened by TylerHi as part of the Hawaii offline. Sweet carmel nose. Green pepper and toffee notes with some graphite mixed in. Long finish. Firm tannins. One of the top wines at this event. Tried it again on day 2 and it was just as good. 94 points

• 2008 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline by Haggis. Very fruity. Sweet cherry notes. Bright acidity. Not as good as the 2008 Sonoma Coast from this producer that I had the night before. 90-91 points.

• 2008 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Equinoxe Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/9/2012)
    Fairly typical for a wine from this estate. Slightly more concentrated. Herbal quality with mineral notes. Less fruit than expected. Nice sweet finish. 92 points.

• 2004 Copain Syrah Broken Leg Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. A big, full bodied wine. Sweet and dark fruit notes of cassis and blackberry. Bitter finish. Not my favorite style. 88 points.

• 2008 Joseph Swan Vineyards Syrah Trenton Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/9/2012)
    At the Hawaii offline. Opened by Tylerhi. Round and smooth. Drinking very well. Lighter body than most other wines at this event. 92 points.

• 2007 Maldonado Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline by 1kailuaboy. No formal notes. The best of the 3 blind Cal Cabs made by Hispanic winemakers that were opened. 89-90 points.

• 2006 Solovino Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, North Coast, Napa County (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the hawaii offline. 1kailuaboy. No formal notes. 87 points.

• 2004 Javier Renteria Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/9/2012)
    At the Hawaii offline. Opened by 1kailuaboy. No formal notes. 88 points.

• 2008 Beckmen Vineyards Purisima Red Wine Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (11/9/2012)
    At the Hawaii offline. Grenache and syrah blend. Plum and spice notes. Semi sweet finish. Tried this again the next day and it rounded out a bit. 90 points.

• 2010 Beckmen Vineyards Grenache Block Eight Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (11/9/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. No formal notes. Mild. Light bodied for a Grenache. 86 points

• 2008 L'Aventure Estate Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/10/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline. No formal notes. 85 points.

• 2009 Stefania Haut Tubee - USA, California (11/10/2012)
    Opened at the Hawaii offline by Haggis. No formal notes. 88-89 points.

VM

Posts: 12060 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a very memorable evening, and it was great to have another chance to get the CWM and the Wine-Os together.

I didn't take notes, but the Prum, Montelena, and Le Cadeau were tops for me.

Thanks to everyone for fantastic food, wine, and aloha!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haggis,

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1636 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice notes! Nothing like drinking good wine in paradise!

Great to see a note for Sheridan - I think they're going to continue to garner more attention in the not-so-distant future.

Cheers!

Posts: 2783 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Thanks to everyone for fantastic wood, winw, and aloha!

For the record, I do not share any wood with Haggis.

VM

Posts: 12060 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One missed that I liked was the:
2007 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Chaine d' Or Vineyard, sweet cool climate, red fruits and herbs, great balance with an intriguing nose that I've never experienced in a Cab. S. (Would like to know from Paul R. what else if any was blended in this year, Cab. F. or Petit V.?). I could not keep my nose out of this glass...interesting...and I liked it.

For all that missed this offline...what a spread and you missed it! I myself got there late and could not get thru All the wines.

Wood...you mean there was wood, and I missed it! Never be tardy to Haggis' ever again!

Aloha,
1kailuaboy

There are no good old wines, only good bottles of old wines. said before

Posts: 53 | Registered: Oct 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Thanks to everyone for fantastic wood, winw, and aloha!

For the record, I do not share any wood with Haggis.

VM

Eek I shouldn't post anything while under the influence!

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1636 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1KB- I posted something on the Stefania Cab in my thread about the Salt dinner so I didn't mention it here. It was better on the second day. Very nice meeting you and everyone else.

Haggis- Not sure if your wife told you, but I left a bottle of CdP for you. Did not feel like carrying it back home. Enjoy.

VM