WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2008 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reserve
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reserve
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric LeVine:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
How many people that pay the extra money for a CdP Reserva

What exactly is a CDP Reserva? Do you understand that the term Réservé or Réservée in France carries no legal bearing, whereas Reserva and Riserva and Spain and Italy just imply a certain amount of extra time in cask. More specifically with Domaine de Pegau, their "Cuvée Réservée" is actually their 'base' bottling with two more expensive wines (Cuvée Laurence and Cuvée da Capo).

As I was reading through this thread I was wondering if/when someone was going to point this out.

At $29, the Pegau CR is a no-brainer and I certainly wouldn't have hesitated to open one now.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
When you pay for my wine, you can tell me how to drink it.

Big +1, bravo.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1574 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have a case of these, so based in part on this thread and Dan Kravitz's comments I knew it was time to crack this along with some grilled rack of lamb. Booyah, this is one to dig into, pure love already even as a baby!
  • 2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/20/2012)
    This is supposed to be a weak vintage? Yum, I love 'weak' vintages of Pegau like 1994, 1999, 2004, 2006 etc. This 2008 is already strutting, in fact exploding. It is nowhere near as concentrated as vintages like 98, 00, 03, and 07, but it makes up for it with loads of white pepper, spice, garrigue and pure ZING. Like most Pegau, it is certainly heavy on the blood and iodine and shows some brett, but the wine is very energetic, spicy, complex and just downright enjoyable. I doubt this will make VERY old bones, but I suspect there is a great decade of drinking. It is already pretty darned ready to go, so dig in and enjoy! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*No way* would I call 2004 a "weak" vintage for Pegau.

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah well that was why I put the silly single quotes around 'weak'. However the fact remains that certain major critics scored 2004 somewhat more weakly. Regardless, it is one of the best drinking vintages of Pegau at this point.

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of recent vintages, I have not had the 2003, but I would say that 2004 is my favorite vintage and showing better than the 2007.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
...2004 is ... showing better than the 2007.

Huuuuuuuuuge +1.

I might not even like the '07; I don't for now, at least.

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just came from a tasting that featured a few Pegau wines, being poured by Laurence Feraud herself- more about her later. In her words, the 2008 Cuvee Reservee is a wine to drink now and over the next ten years. She said it will not shut down, but remain open and enjoyable over that ten year span. So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

Posts: 1591 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not nice to call Laurence a horse... Razz

The 2008 was drinking so well last week I think I might kill another bottle.

posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Pegau.
Thank you for the notes, Eric.
While I'd passed over this vintage upon release, I will now pick one up and check this out in the very near future.

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
I'm a huge fan of Pegau.

Since when? Wink

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6589 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
I'm a huge fan of Pegau.

Since when? Wink

True. It's all relative. While I don't personally have photos of myself wearing a crown with Pegau in one hand and a turkey leg in the other... like some on this board... I do honestly enjoy the Pegau wines.
I bow to your highness Devilish

Posts: 15478 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
True. It's all relative. While I don't personally have photos of myself wearing a crown with Pegau in one hand and a turkey leg in the other... like some on this board...

Nor do you have a restraining order against you from the winemaker. LOL

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
True. It's all relative. While I don't personally have photos of myself wearing a crown with Pegau in one hand and a turkey leg in the other... like some on this board...

Nor do you have a restraining order against you from the winemaker. LOL

Yes well at least that proves I am a fan! Big Grin

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6589 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
I'm a huge fan of Pegau.

Since when? Wink

True. It's all relative. While I don't personally have photos of myself wearing a crown with Pegau in one hand and a turkey leg in the other... like some on this board... I do honestly enjoy the Pegau wines.
I bow to your highness Devilish

With the exception of the 2003, I never heard you talk about Pegau before. Just sayin'. Wink Razz

posted Hide Post
We've gone through 3 bottles of this in the last month, it is drinking amazingly well. On par with 2000, 2001, and 2004, i.e. excellent wines that seemed to drink well and never shut down. Low to mid 90pt wines for me. All drinking much better than 2003, 2005 and 2007. Not sure what the 2003 will turn into, but 2005 and 2007 have the stuffing to make incredible wines down the road.

Posts: 971 | Location: La Selva Beach,CA | Registered: Jan 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened my second of these last weekend, and while still not a great wine, it was noticeably better than the first one, which was a little dirty. We drank this alongside the 2010 with braised short ribs and mushroom risotto.

2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/19/2013)
Dinner with Friends (Oswego): Popped & poured just before dinner and followed over four+ hours. Immediately better than the last bottle- no brettanomyces or overly vegetal qualities here. Dark fruit, plum and roasted game aromas at first. Develops lovely garrigue and violet notes as it opens. Medium-bodied, with plum, meat, iron, earth and garrigue flavors. Finishes quite nicely. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1591 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, so i am planning to take this to dinner (wife and me only) at a restaurant tomorrow night. Am I crazy to PnP and then decant after pouring the first 2 glasses? Does it need a lot of air before drinking?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1574 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I came across this thread, but bummed I missed out on the entertainment that occurred last year with it. Too funny.

Posts: 3181 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
PnP and then decant after pouring the first 2 glasses? Does it need a lot of air before drinking?

I think your plan is perfect. It was pretty much ready to go right out of the bottle IMO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
PnP and then decant after pouring the first 2 glasses? Does it need a lot of air before drinking?

I think your plan is perfect. It was pretty much ready to go right out of the bottle IMO.

Agreed.

Posts: 1611 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally flawed. Bretty as hell, the barnyard, leather horse saddle and manure nose says it all. Overpowers and mutes everything else. Undrinkable. My wife was ticked off and i made the mistake of not bringing a plan B. Bang

Seriously, how can there be so much bottle variation? Notes on this wine are totally polarizing. I have 3 more, i hope i get lucky and get a clean bottle. Pegau needs to clean up their act. Seems unacceptable to me.

posted Hide Post
Wow, what a difference a vintage makes. Reading this thread prompted me to search for pegau and I found that I can pick up a 2008 for $40, and a 2009 for $90. Hmmm... 2 X 2008 or 1 X 2009?

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post