WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2008 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reserve
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reserve
 Login/Join 
posted
I have two that I picked up really cheap at a Binny's close-out, and desided to try one tonight, Popped and poured, and now drinking from a bottle that has been open about 3 hours. Nice medium ruby color. The nose at first had quite a bit of funk, stewed fruit and a little sulphur. It opened up to aromas of black licorice, dark barries and anise. Crushed berries, plum skins and a tiny bit of smoked meat are what I taste, along with minerality and a little gaminess which to me is not off-putting. Also cedar/spice box and some peppery notes at the back end. I enjoyed this earlier with a spicy, garlicky dinner and am also liking it on its own. I'm still a relative newbie with good CdP. However, I think this is a very nice, complex wine from what was supposed to be a poor vintage. My girlfriend hates it, so more for me! I'll have some left for lunch tomorrow. Big Grin

Posts: 5555 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill-I agree that the 2008 Pegau is a fantastic CdP, even considering the vintage. It just so happens that I bought the remaining five at my local shop today after tasting one at a group event last week. You won't be sorry.

Posts: 527 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I have two that I picked up really cheap at a Binny's close-out, and desided to try one tonight, Popped and poured, and now drinking from a bottle that has been open about 3 hours. Nice medium ruby color. The nose at first had quite a bit of funk, stewed fruit and a little sulphur. It opened up to aromas of black licorice, dark barries and anise. Crushed berries, plum skins and a tiny bit of smoked meat are what I taste, along with minerality and a little gaminess which to me is not off-putting. Also cedar/spice box and some peppery notes at the back end. I enjoyed this earlier with a spicy, garlicky dinner and am also liking it on its own. I'm still a relative newbie with good CdP. However, I think this is a very nice, complex wine from what was supposed to be a poor vintage. My girlfriend hates it, so more for me! I'll have some left for lunch tomorrow. Big Grin

Thanks for the notes. Pegau definitely a favorite. Your description is right on - a classic iodine / band-aid nose that gives way to ripe fruit. Welcome to the Pegau bandwagon.
If you get a chance to try some older vintages or the Laurence bottling, you won't be sorry. Smile

Posts: 1656 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does it compare to other pegau vintages?, like 2002?, another poor vintage.

Posts: 440 | Location: Detroit,MI | Registered: Dec 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zinfanman, hopefully some others can reply as this was my first experience with Pegau. From what I have read 2008 was a very tough vintage but some producers were ablee to get results. I've seen several comments here and elsewhere that 2002 is to be completely avoided both in the Rhone and Piedmont. Again, some others with more experience would be more help than me.

Posts: 5555 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever consider the thought of Infantcide? NO decanting! Just letting it sit in the glass!

This is why most wine lovers pay no attention to TNs on CT!!!!

I guess for those that buy wines on Thursday, for consumption over the weekend, this is a good post! Let me summarize: Dear SMUCKS, 2008 Reserves are nowhere near ready for opening! You can probally add any CdPs Reservas prior since 1999 to that list!

Posts: 1913 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awfully black and white. The joy of Chateauneuf is that they reward baby killing AND aging. I have had hundreds of bottles of Pegau both on release and with 15+ years of age. Each is worthwhile. Some vintages shut down, for the example the 2001. However it was utterly GLORIOUS for 2+ years on release. Same with the 2005.

Why should most wine lovers deny themselves that pleasure?

BTW, in contrast, Beaucastel almost never rewards babykilling, except for perhaps the 2000 and surprisingly the 2005.

Posts: 743 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing like having a post critiqued by someone who doesn't know how to spell "schmuck", or apparently just now figured out that UK won the NCAA championship. Thanks for your insight. When you pay for my wine, you can tell me how to drink it. For the record, I've read from several here that many 2008's are drinking well young. I also mentioned that I have another, and since you are so concerned Sandy, I have a bunch of wines that I won't be touching for a while. Feel better now?

posted Hide Post
Dear Billhike;

This is a Wine Spectator Forum, not a KMart "Blue Light Special" Forum. I think your post is entirely appropriate for the "BLS" crowd. How many people that pay the extra money for a CdP Reserva, on this fourum, actually intend upon drinking it upon purchase? I really hope you enjoy your second bottle sometime after 2023!

As to my late UK post, Go Big Blue!! Winner

Posts: 1913 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you know how much I paid for it? What about the flavor profile of this wine didn't you like? Assuming, of course you have actually tasted it in order to form your opinion.

posted Hide Post
Very conveniently, this wine came up yesterday and today in a post from Dan Kravitz over on WineBerserkers. Dan is the primary importer of Pegau into the US.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/...590&p=866060#p866060

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Kravitz:
As for 2008, it was a typo on my part to write "1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one." I mean to write 2008. 1998 is a BIG vintage that IMO is drinking beautifully right now but will improve for at least 5 years (assuming good provenance and storage).

2008 is a delicate beauty that will probably peak at 8 - 10 years. I would not hold it past 15, but balance is important and this has it. Laurence will be here in a few weeks and as part of a tasting we'll be opening '97, not considered much of a vintage. Laurence is sending it, so I now assume it's going to be terrific (or she wouldn't bother). '08 is reasonably priced (by Chateauneuf and Pegau standards) and should be enjoyable every day of its life; it's not the kind of vintage that will shut down.

Posts: 743 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
Dear Billhike;

This is a Wine Spectator Forum, not a KMart "Blue Light Special" Forum. I think your post is entirely appropriate for the "BLS" crowd. How many people that pay the extra money for a CdP Reserva, on this fourum, actually intend upon drinking it upon purchase? I really hope you enjoy your second bottle sometime after 2023!

Confused

Posts: 5106 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many people that pay the extra money for a CdP Reserva

What exactly is a CDP Reserva? Do you understand that the term Réservé or Réservée in France carries no legal bearing, whereas Reserva and Riserva and Spain and Italy just imply a certain amount of extra time in cask. More specifically with Domaine de Pegau, their "Cuvée Réservée" is actually their 'base' bottling with two more expensive wines (Cuvée Laurence and Cuvée da Capo).

To billhike, I recommend that you "grip it and rip it." If Dan Kravitz suggests that the 2008 is drinking well young them I am sure it will be glorious. Enjoy!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge Longcork:
quote:
Dear Billhike;

Confused

Confused Confused

PH

Posts: 15348 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy is obviously a connoisseur....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3503 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a big Pegau fan and I collect as many vintages as I can. The only 2 vintages that I have not purchased as they were disappointing were the 2002 and the 2008. At 70$ a pop, you can get way better CDP for the price than the 2008 Pegau, unless you are buying with a vertical in mind. It lacks on the palate and I agree with Dan Kravitz that it should be drunk within the next 10 years. The nose was typical Pegau but I felt the palate just didn't follow. I buy at least a half case of each vintage of Pegau since 2001. My two cents.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6649 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Sandy is obviously a connoisseur....

Ouch..... Wink

PH

Posts: 15348 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
billhike-This wine was fantastic-especially for the reduced price paid in this vintage. Eric's note above concerning the burgundian nature of this particular bottle is spot on. It probably is not your normal Pegau, but it is great in its own right.

PS just ignore the angry rich folk. I much prefer friendly rich folk, they are just a little hard to come by. Razz

Posts: 527 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, I bought these at a Binny's close-out. I think I paid $29 each. Cool

posted Hide Post
Bill, that's a heck of a deal. If this ages anything like the 1999 they will be great all the way along.

posted Hide Post
quote:
At 70$ a pop, you can get way better CDP for the price than the 2008 Pegau, unless you are buying with a vertical in mind.

I certainly would not pay $70 for the 2008, but I did pay $39 a pop, which I thought was a no-brainer. $29 is a terrific price billhike.
With that said, I probably will not age these for the long term considering the lesser vintage.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$24.99 here for the '08. But then again that's PC, so we'll see when/if they arrive. Didn't see the '08s at Binny's but would have paid that. Loaded up on the '07s at less than $50 though.

Posts: 35 | Location: Western Suburbs, IL | Registered: Nov 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Thanks for the notes. Pegau definitely a favorite. Your description is right on - a classic iodine / band-aid nose that gives way to ripe fruit. Welcome to the Pegau bandwagon.
If you get a chance to try some older vintages or the Laurence bottling, you won't be sorry. Smile

Iodine - love it; band-aid = brett. For the most part the brett level is acceptable, but I would love it if the winery could clean up their act. I've had some awesome Pegau's but once in a while the brett level is just unacceptable.

And I can get the awesome iodine from a good Cali rhone without having to deal with the dirty wine-making.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mps_,

Posts: 35 | Location: Western Suburbs, IL | Registered: Nov 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago, a good friend of ours, whose palate I trust completely, tasted two '08s and said they were drinking beautifully right now. Those were the Pegau Reservee and the Beaucastel. I have one of each in the queue, and I fully expect to enjoy the hell out of them.

Posts: 1657 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least one winery declined to produce a CdP in 2008

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37106 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post