WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1998 Ojai Chardonnay Reserve Talley Vineyard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Ojai Chardonnay Reserve Talley Vineyard
 Login/Join 
posted
tasting room purchase a few years back, i had every intention of drinking this when i got it but just never got around to it...

mid neck fill, barely any saturation on the cork, this was still drinking quite well and was enjoyed by all... nice mix of floral notes and caramel apple on the nose, nicely integrated oak that intermixed well with ripe, and still quite densely layered, candied peach and apple... silky texture, medium bodied, lush and juicy mouthfeel that bordered on flabby with a fairly simple but centered finish of fruit and some subtle spice...

really enjoyed this wine, seems like it would still drink well for the short term if it was properly stored but the relative lack of acidity and somewhat loose structure make me wonder why anyone would wait, i only see the wine regressing but who am i Smile? i think this is still available from the winery for around $60 and combined with the holiday spirit, is what spurred me to open this particular bottle up. i'd love to get another example of this and pair with a rich creamy clam chowder or lobster with drawn butter and melt away... all in all, a tasty and eye opening example of an aged Cali Chardonnay, 14 y.o. and from Paso no less, that is past its prime but still offering enjoyment

Posts: 4205 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool note, kuma. Hope all is well... Cool I had a 2005 Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chard in 2012 and it was spectacular, but it wasn't from Paso, and it wasn't 14.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BRR,

Cheers!

Posts: 2886 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
I had a Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chard in 2012 and it was spectacular

Consistently one of America's greatest Chardonnays

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36782 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all is as well as can be BRR! please tell Mrs. BRR i said hello as well and happy new year to you both... i've had a couple of the recent releases from Ramey as well, think it was the 11' Hudson and Carneros, and in Board-O's words, consistent... something to look for if you like that style is the Sarapo Chardonnay made by Kent Humphrey of Eric Kent Wines... the Eric Kent wines are delicious, but the Sarapo line are sub-$30 and a great bargain in my opinion.

Posts: 4205 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add the vintage to make a point about age-worthy Cali Chards: the Ramey was a 2005 I had in 2012.

I'll definitely seek out the Kent Humphrey line.

Cheers!

Posts: 2886 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post