WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    HELP!! with selecting wine for Class
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!! with selecting wine for Class
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi everyone,

Rookie here needing some help. I'm doing the online class provided by the wine spectator. The ABC's of wine tasting'

There is a list of wines for me to pick up and would like input from the rest of you to make sure I get the proper wines.

Whites:
-Riesling from New Zealand?
-Sauvignon Blanc from California, made with minimal or no oak?
-Chardonnay from California with evident oak?

Red:
-Pinot Noir from Oregon?
-Shiraz from Australia?

Please try to keep within $10-$15 as the Wine Spectator has recommended.

Thanks so much for your help everyone. Please excuse my ignorance.

Eric

Posts: 2 | Location: PA | Registered: Nov 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riesling from New Zealand? I have never seen one on the shelf in the US. From NZ, you can find Sauv. Blanc and the occasional chardonnay. You usually have to look elsewhere for Riesling.

Chard from California with evident oak, $10-$15: Try Estancia Chardonnay Pinnacles

Pinot Noir from Oregon under $15? That might be challenging.

Shiraz from Australia $10-$15--there are many to chose from. I like Peter Lehmann Shiraz Barossa. Rosemount Shiraz SE Australia (black diamond label) is usually around $10. Both are widely available.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think even Aussie Rieslings are far better than New Zealand Rieslings. And German or Alsatian ones far better than Aussie ones.

Posts: 1663 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Zealand's Central Otago region is the Alsace of the Southern Hemisphere. Other good ones come from Marlborough. Dont know lots of Rieslings from there, but Saint-Clair makes a decent one.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1908 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St. Supry makes a nice sb for less than 20 with little or no oak.

Use Wine Searcher or Wine Zap to find the OR pn and possibly the NZ Riesling.

Good luck. Cool

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Cali Chards < $15, Bogle is decent stuff. I believe WS gave the '08 a "best value" sticker recently, if you care.

For Oregon Pinot < $20, Argyle is ok. My local Costco has plenty of this.

BTW, check Costco. They should have most of what you need.

Posts: 1565 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone for your Help!! One last recommendation....For a PN from OR what would you say is the most traditional tasting bottle for less then $25??

Posts: 2 | Location: PA | Registered: Nov 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why on earth did they select NZ Riesling??

There just isn't a lot brought into the US. They're more known for Sauv Blanc, even tho they do better with other grapes IMO.

But if you can find them, I know Pegasus Bay from Waipara and Mount Difficulty from Otago are imported, as well as Villa Maria, Redclif, Spy Valley and of course Brancott and Babich. I think they're all from Marlborough.

But that's a weird choice. You can get Riesling from almost anywhere and get the same results in the class - I have no idea why someone would select NZ as the go-to place for Riesling! My suggestion is to go to Australia, or better yet, Germany for heaven's sake.

FWIW - Decanter take on NZ vs Australian Riesling

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2622 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post