WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    '97 Matanzas Creek Merlot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'97 Matanzas Creek Merlot
 Login/Join 
posted
'97 Matanzas Creek Merlot

Lovely ruby garnet color, this wine was decanted for less than one hour and allowed to fully flower during a long Christmas Eve dinner.With a very promising nose loaded with a cornucopia of dark fruits, I spent minutes inhaling this wine before experiencing a modest mouthfeel for this varietal, and a strong cast of black currant, blackberry, and black cherry, supported by a framework of well balanced acids and gentle tannins. A soft landing with a fruitful encore and more tannin. Not plummy or jammy as many merlots, this was vibrant and will be good for several years into the future. Every bit of 92, a happy night as the snow falls over my lands.

Dick

Posts: 2027 | Location: Delaware | Registered: Jun 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dick;
Thanks for the TN's...after sooooo many Cabs I'm looking for something different that still has some excitement to it. I loved the Ch. Soverain Merlot but it is so fruit forward I doubt it'll last very long. I'm holding some '97 Joseph Phelps Merlot, along w/some other '97's in hopes that they'll deliver when called upon.

Merry Christmas from the Bluegrass State!

...hey, chief - you gonna finish that bottle?

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Matanzas Creek has been a favorite of ours for a number of years. I've been told by several forum members that it's gone downhill since the '97 vintage.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened over the weekend, finished a day later.

If you have some of this, you may be in for a treat.

In reading the notes from rbond444, this one wasn't much different, even ten years later. Huge masses of fruit, beautiful juicy acidity, and some tannins remain. I got a little bit of cardamom and black pepper (much more subtle than zinfandel pepper) on the finish. Just lovely/beautiful really, I wish I had another bottle of this. 95pts, the bottle I opened would have gone another five years with no problem.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post