WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Chateau Talbot, St Julien
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Chateau Talbot, St Julien
 Login/Join 
posted
One of the best young Talbots I had. $35 well spent.Perfumy Bordeaux, that was new to me. '03 vintage has plenty of pleasant surprises.

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this wine three days ago. Talbot is usually kind of austere and woody bordeaux,but this 2003 is different. It is very refreshing to drink and the nose alone was very appetizing. Everying is well-balanced and the tannin is very silk and soft. Don't afraid to drink it young and you'll surprise. Lovely claret. 90pts

Central Florida online-wine shop wine-barn.com

Posts: 321 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (2/12/2013)
    Pretty, smooth, lush, fairly long finish. The cigar box is now the dominant flavor in this wine with some dark fruit, kind of pruny. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
    Pretty, smooth, lush, fairly long finish. The cigar box is now the dominant flavor in this wine with some dark fruit, kind of pruny. Very good.

Damn you, aphilla!

You of all scholars and a man of means... the virus you introduce yet again? Razz Smack

Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a great bottle of wine.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1402 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Damn you, aphilla!

You of all scholars and a man of means... the virus you introduce yet again? Razz Smack

????

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decanted for about 2 hours before serving. The nose has a typical St Julien cigar box that predominates, with some dark fruit and pencil shavings as well.

On the palate, the wine is lush, ripe and sweet as expected for the vintage. However, it possesses more than adequate balance to keep it elegant and fresh. A mildly sweet and oaky finish.

I've been reading a lot recently about the 2003 Bordeaux drying out and that there is an urgency to drink them up, but I see no evidence of that, based on this showing.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1358 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
I've been reading a lot recently about the 2003 Bordeaux drying out and that there is an urgency to drink them up, but I see no evidence of that, based on this showing.

No evidence of that on the wines I've tried either.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:

No evidence of that on the wines I've tried either.

+1

I do feel that some of the "seconds" are in a good place now. Producers like Cos, the Pichon's, & the Leoville's are drinking great with some air. '03 might be the perfect mix of impatience/ patience...IMO Winner

Posts: 1410 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Damn you, aphilla!

????

He is referring to the fact that you bumped a thread started by a banned board member who was often referred to as either the "Virus" or the "Monkey".

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12162 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take the Virus over the Disingenuous Secretary any day.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two of you deserve each other.

VM

Posts: 12162 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, don't be bitter. Banana

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Oh, don't be bitter. Banana

Instead of a dancing banana emoticon, can you find a dancing monkey? It would be far more appropriate.

VM

posted Hide Post
Squirrel

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6244 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post