WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Charles Heidsieck Champagne
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Heidsieck Champagne
 Login/Join 
posted
I was fortunate to attend the launch of the Charles Heidsieck range in Australia. Recently under new ownership this champagne house is determined to restamp its mark on the champagne drinking public.
Starting from the Brut reserve which combines 60% of current year wine with 40% older vintages (average age of 10 years). A great starting point with touches of brioche, apricot and vanilla.
All the "Charles" champagnes are warm and creamy, which I find refreshing compared to some of the ultra acidic champagnes.
Then onto the Rose' Riserva and vintage 1999. Very popular and delightful drinking.
The pick for me, although unfortunately the most expensive, was the Blanc des Millenaires 1995. Sensational. Creamy, yeast made from 100% chardonnay. A luminous gold colour, floral with dried flowers, a touch of spice, white pepper, almonds and ginger.
If you like champagne (and who doesn't) then "Charles" is well worth seeking out.

Posts: 95 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.

The sale was in 2011. Are you saying the wines you tasted were influenced by the 2011 sale?

Thank you for your post and comments, and put me in the camp of hoping the new owners do not screw up the wines or the pricing of Charles Heidsieck wines.

Posts: 29522 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had lots of the 1995 wine and have more in the cellar. Very happy!

Sorry, but this reads like a sales pitch.

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nose:
Blanc des Millenaires 1995.

A teriffic bottle of Champagne

If you like champagne (and who doesn't)

I'm amazed how many people I run across who say that they don't like Champagne. Typically when I ask them the last one they tried, they either can't remember or mention something insipid (often not even Champagne). I usually make it a point to attempt a conversion at this point. Been successful many times. Cool

PH

Posts: 14639 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by nose:
Blanc des Millenaires 1995.

A teriffic bottle of Champagne

If you like champagne (and who doesn't)

I'm amazed how many so called wine people I run across who say that they don't like Champagne. Typically when I ask them the last one they tried, they either can't remember or mention something insipid (often not even Champagne). I usually make it a point to attempt a conversion at this point. Been successful many times. Cool

PH

Posts: 29522 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not even like people who do not love Champagne. It tells me everything I need to know about them. Razz Wink

posted Hide Post
The 1990 Charlie we shared at a recent offline was the most memorable glass of champagne I've ever consumed.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1. That bottle sprang immediately to mind when I saw this post.

Posts: 2476 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The '90 Champagne Charlie was indeed excellent. I've enjoyed the '85 many times, and if you get a chance to try some, go for it!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not even like people who do not love Champagne. It tells me everything I need to know about them. Razz Wink

Word

Posts: 1877 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
quote:

Word

Champagne talk always brings your beautiful self out of the woods. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Funny how that happens. Cool

Posts: 1877 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny how that happens. Cool

We need to hook you. I keep telling Vino Bevo when we have dinner that we must reach out to you and D.

I told VB you are the Pied Piper of Austin wine+dining. I will make it a point on my next visit.

Be well.

posted Hide Post
Good idea - pls email before your next visit and an offline it will be. Champagne will be involved.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Good idea - pls email before your next visit and an offline it will be. Champagne will be involved.

Will do.