WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1992 DOMINUS
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
1992 DOMINUS
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
We enjoyed this last night. Pulled from a case purchased on release and of unquestionable provenance. This wine was damned near perfection. If it were to be tasted blindly, would have been regarded as bordeaux (no question). Thanx asterixis.


This wine reminded me of a mid-90's La Mission Haut Brion, with slightly riper fruit. Fantastic stuff, and I'd like to compare this to the '94 someday soon.
 
Posts: 2590 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'd like to compare this to the '94 someday soon.[/QUOTE]

anytime you're in Toronto. Wink
 
Posts: 2765 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
We enjoyed this last night. Pulled from a case purchased on release and of unquestionable provenance. This wine was damned near perfection. If it were to be tasted blindly, would have been regarded as bordeaux (no question). Thanx asterixis.


Glad to hear how well the bottle drank, Bro.

The '92 is such a unique Dominus, ( best ever I think) and very different than other Dominus vintages.

The '92 is a Right Bank like vintage while other vintages are more Left Bank like. With just over 50% ( very rare for Dominus) Cabernet Sauvignon and only 25% new barrels for this vintage, it is very different than say the '91 or '94 wines.

Place the '92 in a Right Bank blind tasting and it blends well, place it in a Left Bank blind tasting and it sorely sticks out.

I look forward to seeing you soon! Cool
 
Posts: 34499 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If there is a newer thread for this wine, I couldn't find it. That surprised me since it seems sunnylea57 drinks one of these every other week! Big Grin

I should have taken detailed notes when having this on Sunday, but we had special friends over and I was enjoying their company this didn't feel like grabbing a pen or typing on my phone. This wine was special. Opened the bottle about 3 hours before dinner and had a taste, then deemed it didn't need extended decanting. I did decant the open bottle about a half hour before serving with dinner. No sediment worthy of mention, and no bricking - a beautiful ruby color. I absolutely loved the nose of leather, cherry, blueberry, plum and tobacco. It reminded me of the 95 Margaux aromas when jcubed generously shared that wine with us a few months ago. My pre-dinner taste finished with a bit of heat; that blowing off was the only noticeable change with time and air. Seamless with a long finish. Bravo.
 
Posts: 7947 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Would love to try a 25yr old Dominus. Bravo!! I will opening a '91 Mondavi Reserve next week and I hope it is as memorable as your '92, albeit 2 different wines.

IW


Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB
 
Posts: 5780 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it!


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 41955 | Location: FL | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
I will opening a '91 Mondavi Reserve next week and I hope it is as memorable as your '92, albeit 2 different wines.

IW


I am a big fan of the Mondavi Reserve- it's almost always a very elegant wine at maturity. The 1991, in particular, has typically been my favorite of the ones I've tried (I've tasted quite a few vintages back to '86 if I recall correctly).

Generally speaking, the 1991 vintage is my favorite CA cab vintage of the decade, and many of the best wines from that vintage are still young IMO. There will be a 1991 Forman open Saturday evening.


_______________________________________________________________________
Wine is passion. It is family and friends, warmth of heart, and generosity of spirit.
~ Robert Mondavi
 
Posts: 2233 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
If there is a newer thread for this wine, I couldn't find it. That surprised me since it seems sunnylea57 drinks one of these every other week! Big Grin

I should have taken detailed notes when having this on Sunday, but we had special friends over and I was enjoying their company this didn't feel like grabbing a pen or typing on my phone. This wine was special. Opened the bottle about 3 hours before dinner and had a taste, then deemed it didn't need extended decanting. I did decant the open bottle about a half hour before serving with dinner. No sediment worthy of mention, and no bricking - a beautiful ruby color. I absolutely loved the nose of leather, cherry, blueberry, plum and tobacco. It reminded me of the 95 Margaux aromas when jcubed generously shared that wine with us a few months ago. My pre-dinner taste finished with a bit of heat; that blowing off was the only noticeable change with time and air. Seamless with a long finish. Bravo.

Very pleased it showed so well, Bill. Congrats! You've inspired me. Think I need to open one this weekend! Wink


----
 
Posts: 4705 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1992 DOMINUS

© Wine Spectator 2013