WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1992 DOMINUS
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1992 DOMINUS
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No, the fruit was fading also, leaving more and more prominent green pepper and cedar notes. A bit of ash too.

Posts: 10895 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright, fut. You've now pushed my hand and I will open my remaining bottle of this sooner rather than later. I'm thinking I shall open this no later than mid-March. Wink

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
If your experiences from 750mL have been better, or if you've been drinking from magnum, then fantastic!

I bought mine at release and they've been in my cellar ever since.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36828 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have LONG said, the '92 is the finest Dominus I have enjoyed, and I have enjoyed a lot of it.

I also enjoyed the '87, '90, '91 & '94, but the '92 can be very special to my palate.

Posts: 30121 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tad off topic, the last 2 vintages have been/should be stellar however their pricing has gotten out of control imho.

Posts: 787 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was just offered the 07 at $129.99, whadda ya think?

quote:
Originally posted by differentdave:
tad off topic, the last 2 vintages have been/should be stellar however their pricing has gotten out of control imho.

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buy it and if any left I will take at least 3

Posts: 787 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
was just offered the 07 at $129.99, whadda ya think?

quote:

there's a shop here that has it for $120. if you want some i may be able to negotiate it down to $115 if we buy 6 or more

Posts: 4982 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dave, email me and i will forward you the who and where(if you do not take jorge up). it's sorta local and i think has a $1 shipping per bottle if you order 6...

quote:
buy it and if any left I will take at least 3

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pops has a 6 pack of 2007 for 732.38 (123 per bottle) if you wanna split it some way with me I can pick it up on Saturday on way to long beach

posted Hide Post
thanks dave, i am buying next to nothing these days so i'll have to pass.

Go Yankees! Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
This night the nose was full of rose petals and cherry and a whiff of cedar. On the palate I got more Merlot (plum) than I expect in Dominus, followed with black cherry currant, spice, tobacco, coffee with a touch of mineral on the finish.

w+a

Enjoyed this wine over the weekend. Notes were consistent with those documented above. The only addition would be that the nose of this wine was just astonishing, it provided such powerful and complete aromatics. Excellent!

Posts: 1296 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my bottle just got nothing but olives and more olives =(

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12122 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
You should try drinking the port after, not before the Dominus. Razz

Posts: 5135 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:

bet it was the italian before that did me in tho

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12122 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Assuming this was the night I was over, what Italian did you/we have?

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Assuming this was the night I was over, what Italian did you/we have?

any italian would do =)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
This night the nose was full of rose petals and cherry and a whiff of cedar. On the palate I got more Merlot (plum) than I expect in Dominus, followed with black cherry currant, spice, tobacco, coffee with a touch of mineral on the finish.

w+a

Enjoyed this wine over the weekend. Notes were consistent with those documented above. The only addition would be that the nose of this wine was just astonishing, it provided such powerful and complete aromatics. Excellent!

Finest vintage of Dominus, ever.

Glad your bottle was special.

Posts: 30121 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finest vintage of Dominus, ever.

Agreed. I've had several over the years and every one has been great.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36828 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diver609:
I just received (2) bottles of 1992 Dominus as a gift. I can't find any info about this year for Dominus. Is it a good year? Should I lay-it-down or should I drink it now? I need help! Thanks

My attitude is better to drink one year early then one year late Smile

Posts: 686 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up one at JJ Buckley for $129. I took advantage of the by a $50 gift card for $25. Too bad you can only put one in at a time, otherwise it would have cost me less than $75. Either way, I'm still glad I got it at ~$100, taking 1 gift card into account. I just hope the provenance is decent.

Thanks for the heads up Keytohwy!

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
Just picked up one at JJ Buckley for $129. I took advantage of the by a $50 gift card for $25. Too bad you can only put one in at a time, otherwise it would have cost me less than $75. Either way, I'm still glad I got it at ~$100, taking 1 gift card into account. I just hope the provenance is decent.

Thanks for the heads up Keytohwy!

If this bottle shows well, you just stole an exceptional bottle of wine.

Good luck.

posted Hide Post
Thanks wine+art, that's why I stole it Wink

I've had good luck so far with JJ Buckley and older wines and I hope it continues. From what I've read, I think it's worth the gamble.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- Opened at Mastro's in Palm Desert:

The bottle & fill were in perfect condition. The cork came out in two pieces, yet had no signs of bleeding/ seepage.

Decanted for approx an hour. Much darker in color than other vintages I have had, to recently include the '97. A very dark ruby core yields only slight signs of bricking with a crimson rim.

The nose is killer. Primarily dominated by dark berries, currant, and anise, the only thing telling me this wine is California is the ripe, remarkably fresh fruit. Secondary notes including crushed rock, meat, & even a hint of tomato puree' (strange, I know).

On the palate, medium + body, with mouth-coating flavors of (again), fresh dark fruit, mocha, & tobacco. Tannins are definitely present, with some time before they are fully resolved. The transition from the midpalate to the finish is a little awkward, the only obvious flaw in the wine. 30+ second finish.

* Based on this bottle, the '92 is in a prime window, but there is no way that it's in a decline. I could see this going strong for another decade, and drinking well long after that. Excellent stuff. I will seek out more.

(94)

Posts: 1561 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed this last night. Pulled from a case purchased on release and of unquestionable provenance. This wine was damned near perfection. If it were to be tasted blindly, would have been regarded as bordeaux (no question). Thanx asterixis.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5726 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post