WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1992 DOMINUS
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1992 DOMINUS
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/22/2008)
    Opened and allowed to air in bottle for one hour. Deep ruby red in color. Very plush, complex, Bordeaux-like aromas of meat, pencil lead, mushroom, cassis and black currant. Integrated complexities come through to the palate, offering a lush and silky mouth feel, followed by a long and pleasent finish. This bottle was truly showing very well. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 15126 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/22/2008)
    Opened and allowed to air in bottle for one hour. Deep ruby red in color. Very plush, complex, Bordeaux-like aromas of meat, pencil lead, mushroom, cassis and black currant. Integrated complexities come through to the palate, offering a lush and silky mouth feel, followed by a long and pleasent finish. This bottle was truly showing very well. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wink

Posts: 29590 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I'm going to a wine tasting this saturday and I know at least one bottle will be present so I'll make sure I'm first in line since there will be 17 people at the tasting. Wink I'm bringing two bottles of 1999 Ridge Lytton springs zin so I know everyone will get a taste.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:

I'm bringing two bottles of 1999 Ridge Lytton springs zin so I know everyone will get a taste.

If the other wines are equal to the '92 Dominus, one bottle of your Zin will be plenty.

Posts: 29590 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good note KSC. It was an excellent bottle, but it had the misfortune of being up against some serious competition that night.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Good note KSC. It was an excellent bottle, but it had the misfortune of being up against some serious competition that night.

No argument there! Cool

Posts: 15126 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No argument there! Cool

Luckily the champagne was there to even out the playing field. Cool

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
quote:

No argument there! Cool

Luckily the champagne was there to even out the playing field. Cool

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is still a beautiful bottle, had it over dinner in montreal.

The bottle this time showed more black fruits and tobacco. Tasted younger then my last bottle and was darker in color.

absolutely fantastic bottle.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11016 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

absolutely fantastic bottle.

I agree based on my experience.

posted Hide Post
CT shows a bottle left in the cellar.
I'm thinking its time is coming soon.

posted Hide Post
I was just reading the there was only 53% Cabernet Sauvignon in the final blend of this wine, and the balance was Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Would this be the reason that it is somewhat unique to the other vintages around the same time (which I'm guessing are Cabernet Sauvignon dominant)?

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5974 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anyone pop one open recently.

i have an offer to purchase a 3L at a good price, with solid provenance. i haven't had the '92, but have had practically every other 90's vintage. I'm a huge Dominus fan, so I'm wondering what the general perception of the '92 is.

tia

Posts: 4362 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1992 was the best Dominus I've ever had. If you can be fairly sure of provenance, it should be great.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've had the '94 i'm assuming?

I tried it for Burman's bday and it was one of the best wines I've ever had. If the '92 is superior, then I'm stoked.

Provenance is about as good as it gets...

Posts: 4362 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the early 1990s, I believe I've had the 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1994.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both. Don't know if the 92 is better, but it's very good. If the price is right, it's a buy.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
i have an offer to purchase a 3L at a good price, with solid provenance...I'm wondering what the general perception of the '92 is.

tia

BUY

I wouldn't say '92 is better than a '94 showing well. I will say that, for the price you'll pay compared to what the '94 will command, there's no question at all. Big dif in price, maybe a small dif in profile (not in taste)

posted Hide Post
if not send it over to me,

this was my proposal to wife wine and i'm always picking up more

i agree with ksc on this one, big dif in price, small diff in profile. Tad less tobacco i would guess?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11016 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the '92 and '94 side-by-side last week and the '94 was clearly superior. Both bottles had excellent provenance (direct from the winery), and the '92 was definitely on the decline whereas the '94 was still going strong.

I've had each vintage between 3-5 times, and I would say drink up on both fronts. The '92 before it's completely dead, and the '94 before it starts its decline.

Posts: 10698 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
would be more than happy to add another magnum of 92 to the mix, its a awesome vintage.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Had the '92 and '94 side-by-side last week and the '94 was clearly superior. Both bottles had excellent provenance (direct from the winery), and the '92 was definitely on the decline whereas the '94 was still going strong.

Glad to see your '94 showed well, fut.
I just feel compelled to clarify that, even with superb provenance, there is inherent bottle variation.
Personally, I've yet to have a '92 'in decline' and I've also had several. Just sayin'...

posted Hide Post
Agreed. Not only is the 1992 the best I've had, but at last tasting a year or so ago it was prime.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Naturally it's into the "good bottles" phase, but the last couple of times I've had it (twice in the past three years), the tannins have been fully resolved and the wine was fading.

If your experiences from 750mL have been better, or if you've been drinking from magnum, then fantastic!

Posts: 10698 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Naturally it's into the "good bottles" phase, but the last couple of times I've had it (twice in the past three years), the tannins have been fully resolved and the wine was fading.

If your experiences from 750mL have been better, or if you've been drinking from magnum, then fantastic!

curious was the fully resolved tannins what you consider to be fading? I personally love that about this wine and that it still retains fruit.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)