WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1992 DOMINUS
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1992 DOMINUS
 Login/Join 
posted
I just received (2) bottles of 1992 Dominus as a gift. I can't find any info about this year for Dominus. Is it a good year? Should I lay-it-down or should I drink it now? I need help! Thanks

Posts: 4 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the 92 Dominus.
Wonderful wine, drinking well right now.
No need to wait, but I think it will hold for some time.

Dain

Posts: 204 | Location: Ozark Mountains/SanFrancisco | Registered: Feb 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WS newest issue has a 92 Napa Cab re-tasting. Summary on the vintage, drink now, but some will hold a bit longer. very timely question.

michiel

Posts: 205 | Location: New York City | Registered: Mar 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful wine. Very easy to enjoy this seemless wine with a great meal.

I do not hear much about the '92 like the '91,'87 & '94. but based on this bottle we should hear more about this vintage imo.

This night the nose was full of rose petals and cherry and a whiff of cedar. On the palate I got more Merlot (plum) than I expect in Dominus, followed with black cherry currant, spice, tobacco, coffee with a touch of mineral on the smooth finish.

Nothing not to like and enjoy in this wine imo.One of the best Dominus I have ever had.

w+a

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very nice gift, indeed.

I have had the 92 Dominus several times and have a few more in the cellar. They have all ranged from very good to excellent and are still very much alive.

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a wine that continues to shine imo.

I love several years of Dominus and gald to still have a few older bottles from '87,'91 and '94. Too bad the price went sky high!

There is just something about the '92 that pulls me in. It seems to have a layer or depth most others do not share in my opinion. Very special wine.

This is also one of the wines I had in Mexico last week.

w+a

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
big dominus fan (try napanook as well, same winery, better value imho). My veritcal goes from90-01 (stopped loven em after 98 sadly) The 92 was a great vintage, have about 9 bottles left and would say at least another 3-5 years if cellared correctly.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a great wine the two times I've had it and it should have years ahead of it. 1992 is my pick for the best year of the decade for CA Cabs.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1992 was a terrrible year in Napa, especially for Dominus. In fact, you probably don't want to drink it at all. Razz

I offer to be the good samaritan and take this off your hands. In fact, I will pay you for your troubles. Wink

Just kidding. Enjoy the 92s. I've had it once and it was drinking quite well and had the stuffing to go a few more years in the cellar.

Now....where's that Screwpull?

Posts: 1456 | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to enjoy again last night and it only confirmed this is one of the great wines from a great year in Napa.

No need to rush on this beauty imo.

Very well done!

posted Hide Post
N
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I had the chance to enjoy again last night and it only confirmed this is one of the great wines from a great year in Napa.

I purchased a few of these on YOUR recommendation W+A. I'm waiting to hear when to open Razz No pressure mind you Big Grin
I also picked up '94 at the time, as this was actually 'rated' higher. Ever tried one?

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
N
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I purchased a few of these on YOUR recommendation W+A. I'm waiting to hear when to open Razz No pressure mind you Big Grin
I also picked up '94 at the time, as this was actually 'rated' higher. Ever tried one?

The '94, '91 and '87 are all wonderful, but do not sell the '92 short.

I brought this to an offline with Skoshy, wiml, purple and Randy Sloan and I think it was drinking well, and still drinking well.

posted Hide Post
I had the '94 two weeks ago and it was awesome! Still very vibrant and certainly has the legs to go a number of more years.

We had a '95 Peter Michael Les Pavots beforehand which I also thought was very good, but the Dominus was clearly at an even higher level...

Posts: 137 | Location: SF | Registered: Mar 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/1/2007)
    Splash decanted for one hour. Garnet Red in color. NO bricking and minimal deposit. Fresh and tight on the nose, with aromas of Black Currant, mushrooms, cedar and a hint of caramel. On the palate, fresh and a bit tight yet. The fruit carries through strongly with a medium long finish. Quite nice, the `92 Dominus has a LONG life ahead of it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/1/2007)
    Splash decanted for one hour. Garnet Red in color. NO bricking and minimal deposit. Fresh and tight on the nose, with aromas of Black Currant, mushrooms, cedar and a hint of caramel. On the palate, fresh and a bit tight yet. The fruit carries through strongly with a medium long finish. Quite nice, the `92 Dominus has a LONG life ahead of it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Tight? Confused A little surprised, but glad you still enjoyed.

I'm thinking of pulling the '90 this weekend.

posted Hide Post
I'll be quick to admit that this was my first '92. After SO MUCH has been commented about this vintage, I was a little 'underwhelmed'. Very possibly due to 'pre-conceived expectations'. I have another few, so we'll see if there was any 'bottle variation', etc....

I DID enjoy it. Very much. Just not 'moved'. Smile

posted Hide Post
Had this 2 nights ago.

A real solid 94 pt effort.

I agree with w+a with the rose petals and the cedar. The berry component though was muted and I wish I let this sit in the decanter a little longer as it tasted better as the night went on.

I got a smoky tobacco, coffee, loads of black fruit, incredibly smooth on both the palate and finish.

Actually as I read w+a's versus what I have in my TN I think he hit it spot on.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11840 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Had this 2 nights ago.

A real solid 94 pt effort.

I agree with w+a with the rose petals and the cedar. The berry component though was muted and I wish I let this sit in the decanter a little longer as it tasted better as the night went on.

I got a smoky tobacco, coffee, loads of black fruit, incredibly smooth on both the palate and finish.

Actually as I read w+a's versus what I have in my TN I think he hit it spot on.

I agree with you, w+a knows his wine! Wink

Posts: 596 | Location: Dallas, TX.  | Registered: Jul 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted 9/2008.

This bottle seemed to be still not ready. Funk & earth on nose, but very integrated fruit & graphite on palate, but its serious structure & grip made for a hard, stern finish. Maybe still too young.
90 pts.

Posts: 2487 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a year since I've opened one. Will be doing so in Montreal with TBird and friends couple of weeks from now. Looking forward to this one, surely.

posted Hide Post
With proper provenance, you should be rewarded.

posted Hide Post
It's the best Dominus I've ever had.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Board-o on this one. I tasted the 92 along side of an Pahlmeyer Prop Red and hands down the Dominus came out on top. I just bought an 87 Dominus for 100 clams. Deal or No Deal.

Posts: 170 | Location: Mill River | Registered: Jan 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Stahl:
I would have to agree with Board-o on this one. I tasted the 92 along side of an Pahlmeyer Prop Red and hands down the Dominus came out on top. I just bought an 87 Dominus for 100 clams. Deal or No Deal.

I have had well over a case of the '87 including one within the last year with Skoshy and others.

If the provenance was good, you will be in for a treat.

Post what you think...

posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of dominus, have had just about every vintage going back to 84 and I think the 92 is the closest to being a big bordeux styled wine. Sadly I think the prices of some of the more recent vintages are a bot pricey. THe 89-99 was their being run with 89,91,92 and 99 standing out as my fav's.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post