WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Mature Burgundy dinner - Tasting Notes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mature Burgundy dinner - Tasting Notes
 Login/Join 
posted
A group of 10 or so got together to celebrate great old burgundy paired with the fabulous food of the Ten Bells pub in Shoreditch. 15 bottles later, with every bottle being in fine condition. Here are the notes, many thanks to Thomas for providing the format I've nicked from his notes posted on uk winepages link below.

One thing that really struck me was how so many of the wines held so much character even after 30+ yrs. Incredible. We drink far too much Burgundy far too young.

The other thing that really came out was that the glasses made an enormous difference. I used quite standard round bowls from Schott Zweisel, and many of the wines accentuated earth, and some of the best perfume was downplayed. One of my neighbours used Zalto Bordeaux glasses and the nose was so different. Next time, a more tapered glass for burgundy is needed.

Link to Thomas' notes

http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/...t_topic;f=1;t=037226

Bubbly flight

Buttermilk chicken & pine salt
Malted Rye Cracker, Pickled Beetroot & Cow's Curd
Poached Oyster, Hendricks Botanicals, Cucumber & Seaweed Potato

1966 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne
Golden amber. Yeasty oaky nose, stone, fresh sea water, sherry like nose, perfect balance of acidity richness and sticky palate, almost zesty, lemony, some unctuousness. Great wine. 95pts

1966 Bollinger Champagne - France, Champagne

Golden leesy yeasty and very fresh nose, concentrated alcohol, spice like cinammon. No bubbles. Very fine, long. Delicious. 92pts

White burg
Lemon Sole, Buckwheat Pancake, Leeks & Monks Beard (great dish!)

1981 Sélection Nicolas Potel Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru

Smokey reduced sulphuric nose, remniscent of new tyres and pine sap and sand. Soft mouth even layer of fat, with eminent acidity. Lemony afters, and lingering tartness down tongue. Good finish. Very good. 93

1985 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru

White flower and stone, restrained nose. Stoney underlying honey good acidity, covered palate and mouth great growing persistent finish. Very long, delicious but not overwhelming in any way. Very very good. 94 pts

Red Burg 1
Veal Tongue, Red Meat Radishes, Bread & bone Marrow Sauce

2001 Henri Jayer Nuits St. Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges

High toned cherry perfume, ethanol, eucalyptus. Amaxing nose, reminiscent of barolo. Good acidity cherry sticky richness, sappy. Beautiful. Linearity and pureness. Long. Great. I loved this wine. Superb. 97 pts

1999 Jean-Jacques Confuron Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru

Slightly earthy, punchy almost jammy, powerful nose. Fine acidity, tart high cherry, richness, strong, long in back of throat, some heat. Very good. Not quite ready but even after a double decant in the morning, it was showing more air contact than actual maturity. 93 pts

2002 Jean-Jacques Confuron Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru

Cherry violets, spices, green tea, high toned perfumed nose. Cherry and prune, tart acidity but balanced and pure. Very fine, medium long. Years ahead to come, still a pup but elegant and Delicious. Very good. 94 pts

Red Burg 2
Roast Pork Belly, Oat Groats & Chanterelles

We also had a bottle of unattributed 1952 Chassagne 1er Cru Clos Saint Jean (red) that came straight from cellars and was in absolutely superb condition (per Thomas).

Down our end of the table, everyone remarked about how very dark and fresh the wine was, unnatural for a 60 yr old wine. Too dark. The theory was this was mixed with Algerian wine as was the alleged practice of the time. Interesting, very tasty. No notes, just interesting.

1990 Domaine Denis Bachelet Charmes-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru

Perfume of earth, cherry, flowers, Cherry sherbet. Power and linearity, amazing precision and power, sweet and acidic, perfectly balanced. So long and slightly hot at the death. Amazing. 98 pts. My WOTN.

1990 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru

Grenache strawberry herbs and earth nose, intense strawberry spice, acidity and tannins, short sharp and a bit hot. Med length finish, with lingering richness in throat. Delicious but slightly too acidic. Very good. 92 pts

1988 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru

Perfume, high toned earthy nose, ok but middley taste, nothing special. Tried in another glass, very different! Mid weight but not long. Ok 88 pts

1993 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru

Earthy animal dark fruit. Acidic, sharp edged, dark cherry savoury. Good depth, hidden fruit, still time on this. Very interesting wine, more in this, come back in 5 yrs. 93 pts

1989 Domaine Louis Trapet Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru

Earthy and cherry tinged lovely balanceed, middle weight, mid length. Good but not a big impression made. 89 pts.

Dessert
Yorkshire Rhubarb, Buttermilk Mousse & Milk Crisps

1959 Huet Vouvray Haut Lieu

Melony polythenol, brown, high toned, citrus orange. Lovely delicate sweetness, opening.... No score, don't remember....

1975 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternes

A slightly grassy intense sweetness, with bitter edge. Toffee lovely. Who cares. Don't know.... Think it was pretty good.... Yes, shameful, I know...

Hope you enjoyed. I did.

BirD

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1106 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! what a line-up and dinner. Where is the green with envy emoticon?!

Glad to hear all your bottles were in good shape. That certainly beats the odds.

Thanks for the notes.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds GREAT!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, quite a collection of wines there! I wouldn't have made it to work the next day.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5560 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wowsa! Time for a liver biopsy

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5652 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BirDungy:
A group of 10 or so got together to celebrate great old burgundy paired with the fabulous food of the Ten Bells pub in Shoreditch. 15 bottles later, with every bottle being in fine condition. Here are the notes, many thanks to Thomas for providing the format I've nicked from his notes posted on uk winepages link below.

<snip>

Hope you enjoyed. I did.

BirD

OK, so if I get back the old country to visit my father (near Oxford) this summer, I'm going to find you! Cool

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1653 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wines were so excellent, nary a hangover was felt the next morn. Nothing a Gatorade and coffee couldn't really address anyway...

Haggis - let me know, happy to find some others to accompany.

BirD

Posts: 1106 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[drooling icon]

I'm a huge fan of Bachelet, particularly that bottling, though I've never had the '90. Sounds incredible.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7540 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Wowsa! Time for a liver biopsy

Ha! But why order the test when you know the result? Plus, it's not like he's going to do anything with that information.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5560 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo, and thanks for taking the time to post.

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grossie - so cruel of you to underestimate my ability to adapt. Why, the first thing I'd do would be to start finding a suitable, genetically matched donor, possibly a family member in need of some cash for next summer.

BirD

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
OK, so if I get back the old country to visit my father (near Oxford) this summer, I'm going to find you! Cool

It would be well worth your time. BirDungy is a good guy, regardless of what his brother says. Big Grin

Posts: 1544 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:

It would be well worth your time. BirDungy is a good guy, regardless of what his brother says. Big Grin

I know his brother, so I have to consider this carefully Wink

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1653 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post