WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
 Login/Join 
posted
Sunday, January 27, 2013 - - Ruby color and abundant floral aromas of violet and blueberries. It's very balanced and has notes of cedar, dried mushrooms, italian herbs and dark red fruits with a nice lingering acidity. Medium bodied with a Polished texture and smooth tannins. Medium to long finish and better than expected. 91 pts.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1590 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A consistently good producer, in my opinion.

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consistently good but never great. I've stopped buying them. Too much other good BDM in that price range lately.

I did open up one of these about a year ago however and my sister in law said it was the best wine she's ever had. She loves Italian wine too. Personally I thought it was a 91 or 92. To each their own I guess.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must say, I am not the biggest fan of Italian Wines. I wish I was.. I was plesently impressed while at the SF Cabernet Shootout a few weekends ago while I was pouring for my winery. I tasted a 2006 Brunello by Patroni Winery,in Sonoma County.It was beautiful, I ordered a few bottles the following week. So there is still hope for me! Nice Notes!

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
Consistently good but never great. I've stopped buying them. Too much other good BDM in that price range lately.

I did open up one of these about a year ago however and my sister in law said it was the best wine she's ever had. She loves Italian wine too. Personally I thought it was a 91 or 92. To each their own I guess.

I agree, not a "great" brunello worth paying $60, but i've found it for $45 and at that price i think it is a very good buy.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1590 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Shannon:
I must say, I am not the biggest fan of Italian Wines. I wish I was.. I was plesently impressed while at the SF Cabernet Shootout a few weekends ago while I was pouring for my winery. I tasted a 2006 Brunello by Patroni Winery,in Sonoma County.It was beautiful, I ordered a few bottles the following week. So there is still hope for me! Nice Notes!

Interesting, can't say I have had a Brunello not from Montalcino.

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a bottle of this about a year ago but my bottle was not as good as yours.

1994 Banfi Brunello

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Miller:
quote:

Interesting, can't say I have had a Brunello not from Montalcino.

Actually, nobody can.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there "name rights" or "copy rights" or what ever the hell you call it similar to Champagne?

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That may not be correct. I had the same thoughts as well.How can you call it that? But Patroni was actually involved in a law suite for using the name, sued by the main family in Italy. Which stopped production for awhile. This was in the local papers a few years back. http://www.winesandvines.com/t...n=news&content=54013 The family owned winery flew up the members from Italy when they were challenge. And guess what now they are allowed to Label as"Brunello di Sonoma". Please read.

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I opened a bottle of this about a year ago but my bottle was not as good as yours.

1994 Banfi Brunello

VM

Perhaps because Mine was produced 10 years later. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
That may not be correct. I had the same thoughts as well.How can you call it that? But Patroni was actually involved in a law suite for using the name, sued by the main family in Italy. Which stopped production for awhile. This was in the local papers a few years back. http://www.winesandvines.com/t...n=news&content=54013 The family owned winery flew up the members from Italy when they were challenge. And guess what now they are allowed to Label as"Brunello di Sonoma". Please read.

Thanks for the insight Audrey,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Just because the US continues to allow misrepresentations that are banned in the rest of the first world countries, that does not make a fake the real thing.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

1994 Banfi Brunello

VM

Perhaps because Mine was produced 10 years later.

Must not have been thinking (or reading) straight yesterday.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2004 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2/16/2014)
    I think this is at its prime. Light red/orange brick color at the edges with a bright cherry core. Nose of dry autumn leaves, dry plums, mild vanilla bean and leather. This has something else i can't quite figure out, perhaps damp dry herbs. Palate is similar to the nose but lacks depth and concentration. Otherwise it would be a great wine. Very enjoyable though. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker